6 posts / 0 new
Last post
xraymike79's picture
xraymike79
News to me: VHEMT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voluntary_Human_Extinction_Movement

Voluntary Human Extinction Movement

From their website:

Q: Won’t VHEMT die out when all its members die off?

If an idea lacks enough merit to be passed on without being force-fed from an early age, it probably deserves to be forgotten.

Awareness isn’t passed along in our genes. Every VHEMT Volunteer or Supporter is the result of a breeding couple, and yet we have all decided to stop reproducing. Often, we arrived at this conclusion independently and without support from friends and family.

The concept of voluntary human extinction has a life of its own. It’s an idea whose time has come, though it may be a little late.

Q: Is this another one of those suicide cults?

Seems as if our entire industrialized civilization is one big suicide cult. The symptoms surround us.

We propel our bodies about in fragile metal boxes, at potentially fatal speeds, without much care or reason.

We ingest so much poison that meat from our bones wouldn’t meet government standards for pork.

We pull strands from the web of life, jump up and down on it, and expect it to hold our ever-increasing weight. Few notice there’s no safety net.

Instead, we could be embracing life: voluntary human extinction offers a healthy cure for humanity’s collective death wish.
The destruction which has overtaken a number of civilizations in the past has never been the work of any external agency, but has always been in the nature of an act of suicide.
~Arnold Toynbee
A Study of History 1949

“Is Humanity Suicidal?” E.O. Wilson, Cosmos, Sept 2005

http://vhemt.org/death.htm#mortality

http://www.vhemt.org/

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Re: News to me: VHEMT

I am speechless . . . for the moment . . . Interesting occult symbology on the rings in the photo, though . . .

Ah, never mind . . . I'm not speechless any more (That didn't last long . . . )

Interesting that the members refer to their parents as "breeder couples" . . . How's that for reducing humans to the level of beasts?

Please, please, please tell me that we can all see the blatant contradictions in this statement:  "We could be embracing life:  Voluntary human extinction offers a healthy cure for humanity’s collective death wish."  If you buy into that, then perhaps you'd like to divest all of your wealth to me, to make yourself richer  . . .

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

Breeder is a term thats been around for a while, I think it was mostly used by gays to descrive straights like the word "fags" is used as an insult towards gays and lesbians. I first heard that term about 20 years ago and I have a gay friend who mentioned hearing in the context I mentioned in the 60s.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Ed Archer wrote:

Breeder is a term thats been around for a while, I think it was mostly used by gays to descrive straights like the word "fags" is used as an insult towards gays and lesbians. I first heard that term about 20 years ago and I have a gay friend who mentioned hearing in the context I mentioned in the 60s.

Why does this not surprise me?  [sigh]

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

@Cloud, what part?

xraymike79's picture
xraymike79

I thought the VHEMT site was darkly humorous. I laughed when I read their bumper sticker. The "founder" of the movement is quite articulate and convincingly defends his views. Here's an interview he did last year:

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2008/09/03/f-savory-vhemt.html

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments