Re: New Things I will cherish after TSHTF

Having time to read anything and everything

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder

Sleeping in

Eating when I want to

Pretty much doing what I want to when I want to

Walking over to my daughters house to watch our garden grow.

Play with my grand-kids.

OH! Wait a minute - I already do that!  I must be in the wrong thread!

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr

Living a simpler life

Spending more time outdoors, in nature

Spending more time with my family, making our life

Greater appreciation of the good things our small town community has going for it

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat

The freedom to make my own decisions without the collective consciousness beating down on me from every single piece of media.

Not having to read food labels to determine if there is weird unhealthy stuff in my food... since I'll be growing most of it, I'll know exactly what's in it.  Mmmmmm, wholesome goodness!

Being able to see the stars clearly again without light and air pollution

Using critters to mow my naturalized "lawn" rather than wasting time and money appeasing the militant suburban yard-nazi's

Embracing the fact that many "pests" are vital to the success of my full-cycle homestead 

Enjoying the sometimes painful lessons of working with Nature instead of trying to control Her.

Gungnir's picture
Gungnir

Hopefully...

Elimination of trivia, we get so tied up in our trivia, what our neighbors have, our DVR's, answering machines, Cell Phones, who all spend their time recording things we don't have time or inclination to watch, or listen to.

Having meaningful stress, stress about my actual survival, not about why a person has not completed some arbitrary task that you're depending on to do the job that you hate, for the people you despise, in a place you'd rather not be.

Getting more in tune with the Natural World again. I miss standing in a forest with my eyes closed and focusing on my other senses, the sounds, smells, feel of the places, without the pull of "getting back to reality"

Losing Convenience, this sounds contrary, but I'll enjoy it. Having to think about what I want to eat that evening in preference to ordering out, having to get the stuff I need made, bought or whatever, or I go without.

Becoming more time agnostic, currently we're hour by hour, gotta be at the Gym by 7:30 so I can be at work by 9 go to lunch at noon, got that meeting at 2, leave at 5:30, get home a 6 prepare or order dinner by 7 eat, check my personal mail, and forums by 8, what's on TV, or should I do something else. in bed by 11. I'm looking forward to getting up with the dawn, sleeping when I'm tired, and measuring the days and weeks and seasons.

Cleaning house, I think the overall theme in my list is a sense of cleaning house, We're all so stressed, we're stressed about stress, being late, missing out on things we don't actually enjoy when we're doing those things, because we're stressed we're missing something important somewhere else. We're stressed about what the stress is causing to our health, we're stressed about the pills our doctor put us on to help control our stress, we're stressed about the mortgage, the bills, savings, and it's all a bunch of BS in the most obvious way, but we still drink the kool-aid. 

In the immortal words of Tyler Durden I'll be pleased to Stop "working a job I hate to earn money to buy sh*t I don't need"

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

I will cherish:

- Watching the unnatural manic fire that animates too much of the world die back and then disappear. 

- Feeling the return of natural rhythms (sun/moon/seasons).

- Storytelling for entertainment (whether words, songs or dreams).

- Tribal living (or the post-postmodern equivalent thereof).

VIVA! -- Sager 

Gungnir's picture
Gungnir

Ah Sager, you're a man after my own heart.

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Gungnir wrote:

Ah Sager, you're a man after my own heart.

D00d -- as long as we're having a mutual admiration moment, your Heinlein quote makes me think of the Greek word Arete (cf. "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" [even w/all its flaws]).  I had it posted on my dorm-room door back in the day.  Specialization = ack! indeed.  

VIVA the well-rounded life -- Sager 

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat

I definitely look forward to cherishing going out into my pasture or field and counting how many species co-exist in a square foot and seeing if that is an improvement or decline from last year's records.

I really look forward to journaling my daily experiences for more purposes than just maintaining my own sanity. Really, how great will it be to be able to look back on years gone by and see which of your efforts were worthy and which ones were a little too out-there at the time. Maybe I'm a geek this way, but I'm excited to be recording plantings, harvestings, animal births, temperatures and rainfall, etc and being able to use this information to analyze, compare, and refine my plans year after year so I'm more in harmony with Nature and can be a better Steward.  It'll also give me something to keep my spirits up when times are hard or I'm freezing my tuckus off feeding the critters in the dark again. 

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

Working hard and seeing the results.

Spending my life to sustain my family, instead of wasting my youth to make money so I can spend my money hopelessly trying to re-establish my lost youth.

Community, Salmon grills, bon-fires and live, local music.

Cheers!

Aaron

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

mmm...salmon.

Although that'll be a thing of the past post-SHTF for me (in NE USA)...unless eventually the salmon run up our rivers again.  Most devoutly to be wished (though I'd prolly have to live another 5 decades)! 

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

SagerXX,

I'm hanging on to hopes myself... I don't think there are any wild Pacific Salmon left either. We've certainly made it an uphill struggle with all the dams. Wouldn't be surprised if they go extinct... *sigh* guess I better move this to the stuff I'll miss.

Aaron

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat

Sager & Aaron, well I'll still have plenty of fresh Pacific salmon where I'll be if the bears don't eat them all first (or the state doesn't sell all the licenses to pro fleets and sportsmen instead of the subsistence residents like they've been doing). What I'll be missing is sugar... unless I figure a way to produce my own from beets or birch sap. If ya'll wanna weather the wilds of Canada to get to me, bring some sugar and other warm-weather produce with ya and I'll be more than happy to trade salmon and moose steaks LOL!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments