New sub-forum?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer
New sub-forum?

Since there have been several "definitive" threads, how about we make a dedicated subforum? Only the mods could start a new topic or move an old one there to keep it sane.

Thoughts anyone?

Ed

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Re: New sub-forum?

I've thought for some time (and tried to float the idea, once) that it's time that we should have several new major categories of forums (listed on the Forums page), including horticulture/permaculture/agriculture, healthcare, and spirituality.  At the risk of raising a sore subject, it's probably also time that we acknowleged that conspiracy theories are not going away, and provided a major forum category, on the Forums page, for these.

The Forums page currently is dominated by the 3 E's and economics, which were, of course, CM's initial primary foci.  However, this community, and if I may presume to understand him, CM himself, seem to have evolved toward focusing on community and sustainability, and I would like to see the forum categories reflect that.  Of course, we all still tend to look to Chris to determine which way the wind is blowing on the economic front, and in a broadest sense of the term, the political front, as well.  But, as a dynamic community, I observe that we are coming to depend on each other for information and support regarding healthcare, sustainability, horticulture, and other "nuts-and-bolts" arenas.

Does this ring true for anyone else?

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

Well, I think there IS a forum for conspiracy threads, its the controversial topics one, to be safe I would include the spirituality ones in there as well. :)

Overall I agree, that includes those threads you mentioned?

admin's picture
admin
c1oudfire wrote:

I've thought for some time (and tried to float the idea, once) that it's time that we should have several new major categories of forums (listed on the Forums page), including horticulture/permaculture/agriculture, healthcare, and spirituality.

c1oudfire,

I would recommend reading this post from Chris from about a week ago.  Phase II and III address your thoughts.

Ron

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Zombie210 wrote:

Well, I think there IS a forum for conspiracy threads, its the controversial topics one, to be safe I would include the spirituality ones in there as well. :)

Overall I agree, that includes those threads you mentioned?

From the wording in your post, I'm not sure I understand what you are advocating, Zombie.   To clarify my ideas, I feel that each of those topics (conspiracies and spirituality) deserves it's own unique category.  I feel that the connection between spirituality and conspiracies, as subjects for discussion, is tenuous, and I would hope that an affinity for controversy and confrontation is not what will draw folks to those topics.  That having been said, I recognize that these two categories of threads have historically had some postings that are "not ready for prime time" (to say the least!), and I think that the idea of having them not visible to nonsubscribing visitors is a good one, as some of the postings are speculative and sometimes abrasive, and may be "too-much-too-soon for some folks.  But otherwise, I see no intuitive connection between the two subjects that warrants lumping them into one category.  It also sounded like you wanted to also put the Agriculture thread into the Controversial Topics forum . . . , though I doubt that's what you meant. 

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

@c1oudfire lol, I really need to work on my sentence structure more I think. :)

I was suggesting that both the spirituality and conspiracy threads, because they and others like them tend to start flame wars, be kept in the controversial topics forum. Not because of any connection between the two, but simply for the fact that they are by their very nature controversial to people.

The other ones, like the definitive agriculture and firearms be given their own separate forum. A one stop place for the collection of info on these and other such topics.

Does this clarify things? Please ask if I need to make this clearer. :)

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Zombie210 wrote:

@c1oudfire lol, I really need to work on my sentence structure more I think. :) I was suggesting that both the spirituality and conspiracy threads, because they and others like them tend to start flame wars, be kept in the controversial topics forum. Not because of any connection between the two, but simply for the fact that they are by their very nature controversial to people. The other ones, like the definitive agriculture and firearms be given their own separate forum. A one stop place for the collection of info on these and other such topics. Does this clarify things? Please ask if I need to make this clearer. :)

Hi again, Zombie;

That's what I thought you meant.  I think we agree that the "hot" threads need to have a different treatment than those that are the focus of Chris' work.  I guess maybe I'd like to find another word other than "controversial" to describe them . . . . It may be just me, but it seems that the word "controversial" has the connotation of "probably untrue", or that it anticipates discord.  Perhaps the phrase "Speculative Forums" would be a better, less judgmental description.  It seems to me that neither area (spiritual or conspiracy) is subject to "proof" in the scientific sense of the word, and much of what I see posted in both kinds of threads is speculative, by nature.  I suspect that if we viewed each others' posts in this light, there might be less of a tendency to verbally beat each other into submission, since the material is, after all, speculative.  Also, I might hope (I'm a shameless optimist) that the title "Speculative Forums" might be a signpost that indicates to those who are unwilling to consider ideas outside of the conventional wisdom that speculation is, indeed, appropriate in those forums, and that they might be more comfortable in a forum with a more "concrete" ambiance.

plato1965's picture
plato1965

Cloudfire: I agree about the domination of finance/economics...

I understand that choosing a forum structure in terms of choosing what to focus on is both a) Vitally important , b) Very difficult...

- I speak from some experience having run (+coded + hosted) a local forum (13,000 members , 2001-2009) for my home town.

Early mistakes and choices are very hard to correct later (hence I'm still typing on a QWERTY keyboard.. GRRR!! )

So if any major refocussing is to be done it's best done asap.

Chris is obviously an expert on the economic side, and that will be where his focus will naturally be..

for the members I believe the priorities might well be different - "so what do I do ?" .. "how do I prepare ?"

I'd suggest 3 main categories for the forum.

1) The Crash Course (with a topic for each aspect, mainly aimed at new arrivals).

2) Current Events - for evolving news (eg dollar weakness, swine flu, geopolitical events) connected with the themes covered in the CC.

3) Preparation - Covering every aspect from food storage, gardening, health, psychology - how to stay balanced, energy security, etc..

Personally I'm mainly interested mainly in 3, with a bit of 2.

So , of the long list of fora, I tend to only look in "Current Events" and "General Discussion". The rest is is clutter..

I'd really like  "Preparation" to be a clear well defined main category, rather than subsumed in "General Discussion".

On the Conspiracy theory side,  I disagree that "conspiracy theories won't go away, so they need a venue.

A single forum cannot do everything.. not without losing focus.

Where they are relevant and not the cause of disruption, let them form part of the conversation.  Where they distract, provoke flamewars. Trim them.

YMMV

ps. "Time grows short before the world is plunged into darkness. Therefore, diligently seek the Truth, while a little light yet remains. "

Beautiful line.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
plato1965 wrote:

Cloudfire: I agree about the domination of finance/economics...

I understand that choosing a forum structure in terms of choosing what to focus on is both a) Vitally important , b) Very difficult...

- I speak from some experience having run (+coded + hosted) a local forum (13,000 members , 2001-2009) for my home town.

Early mistakes and choices are very hard to correct later (hence I'm still typing on a QWERTY keyboard.. GRRR!! )

So if any major refocussing is to be done it's best done asap.

Chris is obviously an expert on the economic side, and that will be where his focus will naturally be..

for the members I believe the priorities might well be different - "so what do I do ?" .. "how do I prepare ?"

I'd suggest 3 main categories for the forum.

1) The Crash Course (with a topic for each aspect, mainly aimed at new arrivals).

2) Current Events - for evolving news (eg dollar weakness, swine flu, geopolitical events) connected with the themes covered in the CC.

3) Preparation - Covering every aspect from food storage, gardening, health, psychology - how to stay balanced, energy security, etc..

Personally I'm mainly interested mainly in 3, with a bit of 2.

So , of the long list of fora, I tend to only look in "Current Events" and "General Discussion". The rest is is clutter..

I'd really like  "Preparation" to be a clear well defined main category, rather than subsumed in "General Discussion".

On the Conspiracy theory side,  I disagree that "conspiracy theories won't go away, so they need a venue.

A single forum cannot do everything.. not without losing focus.

Where they are relevant and not the cause of disruption, let them form part of the conversation.  Where they distract, provoke flamewars. Trim them.

YMMV

ps. "Time grows short before the world is plunged into darkness. Therefore, diligently seek the Truth, while a little light yet remains. "

Beautiful line.

Hi, Plato;

Thanks for your comments . . . For myself, I'm comfortable with Dr. Martenson having his site tailored to suit his goals and methods, and it is clear to me that it does, whether this is immediately apparent, or not.  I am, for better or for worse, most interested in the results that any modality produces . . . I've resolved my mental and spiritual claustrophobia by starting my own blog with multiple foci that are of concern to me . . . within a context that is amenable to the sort of subjects which I believe are worth discussing.

CloudfireOnFire.com

plato1965's picture
plato1965

cloudfire: Thanks, I've visited your blog and appreciate it.

As far as, "what Chris wants is ok by me".
Definitely. It is his baby. And I'm grateful for him waking me up to the implications of peak oil.. and more..

I assume though that to some extent he wants us to help each other, and in that regard the structure/focus of the forum is important...

As a burnt out ex-admin... I really wish I'd followed his advice "trust yourself".

Certainly in the negative sense.. ie avoiding that which is useless,negative,counterproductive.. nipping problems in the bud.
and at the same time allowing for novel, constructive, bottom-up, "things I hadn't considered".

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments