New Site Features, Explain Them Please

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
cat233's picture
cat233
New Site Features, Explain Them Please

How do the new site features work?

I see if you were once a "subscriber" to the site, you are now an "enrolled member." At the top of the page I am told how long my enrollment last, but I can't find where to managed that information.

Could someone please, in great detail explain how "My Content Subscriptions" works.

Where did the writing tools in the "Submit Forum" topic page go? I can't even find spell check, does that mean I got a 100 in spelling on this post?

Also please explain the other new site features.

Thank you!

Cat

cat233's picture
cat233
Re: New Site Features, Explain Them Please

Without going through 1200 pages of names, how do I add an author in My Subscription Content?

Thanks,

Cat

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson

I am headed out the door (literally) so I cannot write this up but will note that most everything that you or anyone else might want to manage is accomplished through your "My Account" area.  Go there and take a tour through the tabs, if you haven't already.

I will ask Tito or Amanda to make more complete description of the new features here...

Best,
Chris

admin's picture
admin

Cat,

Thanks for the message, you bring up a number of great points.  Let me offer a few comments.

For those who subscribed to the site prior to April 20 (yesterday), there is nothing to manage.  Your enrollment will last until the day it is set to expire, and then after it expires you will have the ability to re-enroll.  Once you re-enroll, your membership can be managed directly from your "My Account" page.  This can be accessed by clicking the "My Account" link from the top bar, or from the navigation bar.

The Content Subscriptions are a really exciting new feature.  It allows users to receive notifications about new content created on the site in a very detailed manner.  This can be found under "My Account > My Content Subscriptions" from the navigation bar.  Content can be received by email, or by going to the "My Content Subscriptions" area.

The easiest way to use Content Subscriptions is click the "Subscribe" button or link you will now see in the same locations where you see "Print" and "Email".  This will present a list of options where you can subscribe not only to an author, but a particular type of content generated by an author (for example, Davos' blog posts), or even by keyword (send me all blog posts created by Chris Martenson which are tagged with the keyword "economy").

In regards to "Writing Tools," I'm not sure I understand.  Do you have the rich text editor displayed when you add a forum entry?  The spellchecker is there... the icon is a green checkmark with the letters "ABC" above it.

Beyond this, the other new site feature is the Private Messaging system.  Every registered user now has an "Inbox" link on the top bar, and every user name has a "Send PM" next to it.  Also it is possible to block people from sending you PMs by clicking their user picture to get to their user page, then clicking "Block messages."

The rest of the changes are focused on user interface design, look-and-feel, content layout, etc.  Content has been arranged to provide a slightly different experience for first time visitors versus registered users.  If you logout you will see the difference especially on the home page.  One feature for new visitors is a pop-up window that allows them to watch the Crash Course in a playlist player.

Hope this helps to provide more details and certainly let me know if you have further questions.

Ron

admin's picture
admin
cmartenson wrote:

I am headed out the door (literally) so I cannot write this up but will note that most everything that you or anyone else might want to manage is accomplished through your "My Account" area.  Go there and take a tour through the tabs, if you haven't already.

I will ask Tito or Amanda to make more complete description of the new features here...

Best,
Chris

I just finished writing a post... beat you to it. 

Amanda Witman's picture
Amanda Witman
cat233 wrote:

I see if you were once a "subscriber" to the site, you are now an "enrolled member." At the top of the page I am told how long my enrollment last, but I can't find where to managed that information.

This question is answered here:  http://www.peakprosperity.com/faq/subscription-enrollment

The expiration date and amount of time left, shown at the top of the page, are an easy way to check whether or not you are still enrolled.

If there are any other site features for which you need further explanation, just let us know! 

cat233's picture
cat233

Ron,

When I am in "Submit New Forum Topic,"  I still don't see the editing tools.  Also the "preview" button is still there, but the other says, "save" and not  "post."  I obviously saved and my post posted.  

If you could give a bit more detail explanation of Content Subscriptions I would appreciate this.  I can see what it does, I just an unclear how to use everything there. Before your post, I had checked Admin and cmartenson, but nothing showed up under authors, even after both of your post.

Thanks for your time,

Cat

cat233's picture
cat233
admin wrote:

For those who subscribed to the site prior to April 20 (yesterday), there is nothing to manage.  Your enrollment will last until the day it is set to expire, and then after it expires you will have the ability to re-enroll.  Once you re-enroll, your membership can be managed directly from your "My Account" page.  This can be accessed by clicking the "My Account" link from the top bar, or from the navigation bar.

Ron

Amanda or Ron,

So my "subscriptions" will expire on the date I see in red at the top of the page.  Until it expires I cannot manage any part of it, and need to re-enroll after its expiration?  Previously there was a place I could renew the subscription at any point.

Ron, I clearly see editing tools here, just not in the new post area.

Thanks,

Cat

admin's picture
admin
cat233 wrote:

Ron,

When I am in "Submit New Forum Topic,"  I still don't see the editing tools.  Also the "preview" button is still there, but the other says, "save" and not  "post."  I obviously saved and my post posted.  

If you could give a bit more detail explanation of Content Subscriptions I would appreciate this.  I can see what it does, I just an unclear how to use everything there. Before your post, I had checked Admin and cmartenson, but nothing showed up under authors, even after both of your post.

Thanks for your time,

Cat

Cat,

When you say you don't see the editing tools, do you mean that on the text area called "Body" you do not see a bunch of icons right above it?  If you don't see them, do you also not see them when attempting to make a comment on one of Chris' blog posts?  If this is the case, you may not have the text editor displayed.  Did you used to have it before?

As for the Content Subscriptions, you will not receive the emails immediately.  They are sent as part of a batch process.  We'll get back to you shortly with more details on the Content Subscription functionality.

Ron

admin's picture
admin
cat233 wrote:

Ok, now I see what is happening... yes there is something wrong.  You should be seeing the text editor there.  Let me see if I can fix that.

Ron

Amanda Witman's picture
Amanda Witman
cat233 wrote:

So my "subscriptions" will expire on the date I see in red at the top of the page.  Until it expires I cannot manage any part of it, and need to re-enroll after its expiration?  Previously there was a place I could renew the subscription at any point.

Nope.    This is why we changed the terminology.  Your Subscriptions have nothing to do with your Enrollment (formerly known as your subscription).  We realize this terminology is confusing...which is why we are calling them two different things instead of calling them both subscriptions!

The date reflected at the top of the page refers to your enrollment.  However, don't get too attached to seeing that date just yet...we may modify that feature abit in the near future.  It's a work in progress.

We are shifting from an old enrollment protocol to a new enrollment protocol.  Currently enrolled members (fka subscribers) are enrolled under the old protocol.  Shifting over to the new protocol requires that those people's accounts expire on schedule and for those people to then re-enroll (similar to what you used to do if you forgot to renew by the expiration date and your account expired). 

The "renew" option that we used to have is no longer available, because autorenewal is taking its place.  In the future, newly enrolled accounts will be automatically renewed, unless the user opts out of that process (very easy to do, and will be fully explained at the appropriate points in the process).  Users who opt out of autorenewal will not be able to click a "renew" button.  They will have to wait until their accounts expire and then re-enroll to reactivate their paid membership.  This is not any sort of punishment or disincentive, it's just how the system works under the new protocol.

I hope I have explained that clearly enough, but if not, ask and I'll keep trying!

Lemonyellowschwin's picture
Lemonyellowschwin

Admin, or anyone else who knows:

What is the most efficient way to track posts by certain members?

admin's picture
admin
Lemonyellowschwin wrote:

Admin, or anyone else who knows:

What is the most efficient way to track posts by certain members?

Depends on what you'd like to do.  If you just want to see the threads in which a user has participated, click their user picture (or user name) and then click the "Track" tab on their profile.

If you would like to see it organized and sliced/diced different ways, then click the "Subscribe" button or link on any new post they have written (not a comment or reply, but a new post such as a blog or a forum thread).  This will open a collapsible area called "Subscribe" that will be shown at the very top of the page.  Open the area and choose to subscribe to "Posts by this author."

Let me know if that helps.

Ron

admin's picture
admin
admin wrote:
cat233 wrote:

Ok, now I see what is happening... yes there is something wrong.  You should be seeing the text editor there.  Let me see if I can fix that.

Ron

Cat,

It took me a bit longer than I expected, but I think I found the problem.  You should now be able to see the rich text editor when you are trying to create a new forum post.  Please let me know if you have any further problems with it.

Ron

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments