New Organism: Disease and Infertility

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
dps's picture
dps
New Organism: Disease and Infertility
This is a 20 minute MUST VIEW video.  The world food supply is at stake.

Dr. Huber Explains Science Behind New Organism and Threat from Monsanto's Roundup, GMOs to Disease and Infertility

http://vimeo.com/22997532

David Murphy of Food Democracy Now interviews Dr. Don Huber, Professor Emeritus of Plant Pathology, Purdue University on discovery of new organism and crop disease, livestock infertility and threats to U.S. food and agriculture.

Hugs ... dons

greendoc's picture
greendoc
I am no supporter of

I am no supporter of Monsanto, Round-up or GMO crops in general, but I think this claim of Dr. Hubers may be somewhat overstated.  I am suspicious he dies not name this pathogenic organism.  If it is been well know in agronomy and animal husbandry circles for years, it must have a name. 

This article contains a rebuttal from other Perdue scientists disputing Hubers claim.

http://news.change.org/stories/science-wars-does-roundup-cause-animal-mi...

Personally, I support a ban on Roundup ready alfalfa, and we need to understand the problem, but I want solid information.

Tall's picture
Tall
Not sure they have identified the pathogen

I watched the video last week because I am interested in the topic.

My take on it was that he wrote to Vilsack at USDA to ask for funding or to encourage a new research initiative to identify this ‘smaller than a bacterium, self replicating so not a virus,  also not a prion’ unidentified pathogen.  Fair enough. New pathogens are 'discovered' every year; even new categories of pathogen occasionally.

He also mentioned alarming rates of reproductive loss among cattle. I was curious then - dairy farmers keep production records. There are data for that. I started searching for evidence of falling dairy cow fertility rates or reduced milk production per animal. I could not find anything that supported his assertion. Cows have been fed GE corn and soy for at least 5 years or more. I would expect to see something showing up in the dairy production records. Of course I was just casually looking around the web, I do not know the quality of the information I reviewed - mostly summarized dairy board reports, maybe they could be inflated.

He mentioned that feeding studies had confimed Koch's postulates, but I am not aware of anything actually published. He named no names of investigators.

So, my take is this ‘pathogen’ is a hypothesis that needs further research, with farmer anecdotes of reproductive loss.  I hope he gets some funding so that he can investigate more thoroughly. I don't totally dismiss it offhand, but am not alarmed. We need more information.

Don’t panic yet.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments