New, Looking for advice on where to start?

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
kcol's picture
kcol
New, Looking for advice on where to start?

I came across this website yesterday and watched the entire course.  I had so many of these concerns, but this is the first time I was able to put all the pieces together.  Common sense told me the road we're on isn't sustainable.  It's very overwhelming deciding where to start.  I'd appreciate input from those that are well into their plan.  I began educating myself on economics in an attempt to understand the near collapse in 08.  Nothing has changed except more spending, more debt and more risky lending and speculation.  I am glad I found a community to share with,  It's been difficult because my wife has not shown interest and thinks I'm gone a  little off the deep end.  I think she is scared of what she will find and would rather be in denial.  I have to say I didn't sleep much last night.  CC confirmed my suspicions and things will never be the same.  As someone else stated, "Noah before the flood."

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Re: New, Looking for advice on where to start?

Hey Ken --

Welcome aboard!  Where does one start?  

Well, here is where most of us start:  www.PeakProsperity.com/act

This will help you get a handle on where you are, and possibly lead to concrete first steps.  As one of our community stalwarts here, DIAP, recently recommended to a newcomer, pick one simple thing to *do* and then do it.  The hardest step is the first one.  

And then continue hanging out/commenting here -- you'll learn heaps and sharing the journey w/other folks helps a LOT when your family/spouse/friends think you're "off the deep end".  I was in your shoes maybe 10 months ago, but hallelujah my wife is coming around now.  So ask questions, make comments, take notes.  There's a whole buncha very sharp characters in these forums.  They've taught me a lot.

Viva -- Sager

JAG's picture
JAG

Hi Ken,

Welcome to the community. I remember my sleepless night when I watched the crash course for the first time. Just know that things get better from here.

The first step I did was raise some emergency cash to stash at home.

The second step for me was to create a bulk pantry to store some food in. This was no easy task and it required a lot of learning to do it right. One book that I highly recommend in regard to this is Crisis Preparedness Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to Home Storage and Physical Survival by Jack A. Spigarelli. It will save you a lot of time and money.

All the best....Jeff

kcol's picture
kcol

Thanks,

I have to admit it's a little wierd.  I've never done anything like this before, but It;s nice to have a safe place where my views are not ridiculed as 'doom and gloom".  What we've done so far is change our spending habits, increase cash reserves and have started purchasing precious metals.  It was a big deal for my wife to agree to me getting a gun safe and arms.  Moved our savings to a treasury only money market account.  I'm even considering cashing out my IRA (about 1/3 off our retirement) to invest in precious metals and possibly diversify out of the dollar some.

thanks for your input

jpitre's picture
jpitre

Hi Ken -- and welcome.

I think most of us felt bewildered after first viewing the Crash Course - I know I did anyway. I think I felt much the same way you did/do. I sort of knew most of the course material at some level, but had never seen it all tied together in one place. Chris has an amazing ability to do the research,  grasp the concepts, connect the dots and put it together in a way others can understand. The good news is (or at least was for me) that once I picked one or two concrete things to do (small is OK) the confusion began to die away and we (my wife & I) have been able to gather a sense of optimism from the facts others see as gloom & doom. I suspect that the people most in denial are the ones that haven't tried to face the problems and have done nothing  to change their attitude and circumstance for what the future holds.

Good luck - we're in for a helluva ride

Jim

etsan's picture
etsan

Hi Ken,

Welcome. I'm some what new here too. I'm already taking my money out of my IRA and thinking of getting some gold with it. I think a lot of people here is more set on that the economy is going to collapse without a doubt and that there is going to be a drastic change. Even though I've started to do just a tiny bit of preparation, I find myself just taking thing slowly. I don't know, I just don't feel it as strong as others. Maybe its because of where I live and the plethora of resources that are available to me (e.g. tons of grocery stores, services, and businesses). Everything here seems to behave the same ole way. However, its hard to dispute the facts that the CC has. I'm still skeptical of this supposed collapse that is going to bring down the US entirely, but I will prepare just in case.

John99's picture
John99

Welcome Ken,

Members here have good experience being considered 'off the deep end'. You'll fit right in :-)

In case you are not aware the CM site has a 'dark side' forum for those fun conspiracy theories, called, 'Controversial Topics -- Enter At Your Own Risk'. To get there, select the 'forums' tab, 'all forums', and then scroll down to this last topic.

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forums/controversial-topics-forum-enter-your-own-risk/controversial-topics-enter-your-own-risk

kcol's picture
kcol

I don't know the extent of the collapse but bad changes are in store.  I have two young kids and my responsibility for their safety is my prime motivation.  My brother who watched CC agreed with the facts but was not as moved to action as I am.  Residential mortgage resets, commercial real estate bubble, unemployment, consumer credit, government debt, etc,,  There are a lot of bad indicators, and I wouldn't be suprised if a we had another Lehman or Bank of America fail.  I don't know that I'll go full bore ahead but I want to have food, water, home secured,  and more financial security.  PM's in the long run will go up, so even if things aren't apocolyptic that should be a good more.  I would love to be wrong, but CC facts confirmed what my gut has been telling me for some time. 

thanks

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

Ken. Welcome aboard. 

Let me tell you what I do and then weigh it and see if it's right for you. 

After digesting The Crash Course, I had asked myself:

"Where do you anticipate things a year from now?"

then...

"Where do you anticipate things 5 years from now?"

That's it. Then I plan accordingly. A year from now envelopes short-term sudden changes, the 5 year thinking incorporates longer term trends. 

First prepare for getting through the worst. A potential shock so to speak. The odds? Dunno. But what are the odds of your home burning down? Who knows, right? But you still take insurance out based on severity of the event. Right now I am taking out insurance. Through actions and education. 

But what about after the shock? Think sustainable lifestyle. That's why I think five years out too. 

Great_White_Mudshark's picture
Great_White_Mudshark

I am new to this site also but have been following the issues for years through various information sources. My goal has been to continually try to improve my self-sufficiency. It is a journey that will never end but you have to start with the basics and build on your knowledge. There are large amounts of information on the web. A couple of books that compile large amounts of hands on information are The Encyclopedia Of Country Living by Carla Emery and When Technology Fails by Mathew Stein. There are several good magazines such as Countryside Magazine or Backwoods Home Magazine that provide lots of practical, hands on knowledge on a wide variety of topics that will increase your self-sufficiency.

This site is fantastic for the amount of information available and the exchange of ideas. Another excellent book for a perspective on the big picture problems is The Upside of Down, Catastrophe, Creativity, And The Renewal Of Civilization by Thomas Homer-Dixon. A key recommendation of the author is to develop a prospective mind that can adapt to rapid and monumental shifts that likely await us in the future. The author shows how quickly collapse could occur in our highly specialized and interconnected world that faces a number of major issues that are intertwined.

Gungnir's picture
Gungnir

Hey Ken,

Practical advice...

Firstly make sure that you at minimum meet FEMA standards of preparedness, have 3 days of food water and fuel available to you. This will do two things, firstly it gives you a buffer of three days if everything goes to hell in a handbasket before you've figured everything else out. Secondly you need to bring your family in to understanding about preparedness, they may not be completely onboard to begin with, or possibly ever.

Now that will help you in two ways, firstly I suspect you're all hyper and feel you need to do something, well getting that together, organizing it and storing it away (even if you altready have more than 3 days), will ease that "I need to do something NOW, feeling, and you'll also feel that little bit more prepared, which will also relieve some stress.

After that, then develop an action plan, using some of the resources here, or suggested. Make sure your family is in on it and understands your concerns, they don't necessarily have to agree with them to a point, but don't wind up heading to divorce court just yet, because at the end of the day you do have a degree of moral high ground, since your concern is for your families well-being, no matter how "paranoid" your nearest and dearest thinks you might be.  Weigh you're overall risks as you see them, you don't need to prepare for every possibility, but try to make sure you have your bases covered as best you can so that you can sleep comforably.

And welcome to Chris Martenson.com.

kcol's picture
kcol

thanks

livsez's picture
livsez

Welcome Ken.

I was right where you are a little over 18 months ago when I finished reading The Creature from Jekyll Island and then stumbled upon the CC.  I started by taking it one step at a time.  Doing what I could do, no matter how small it seemed.  Since then I sold my house over a year ago and became a renter, exited the Stock Market and acquired PM's, have at least 3 to 6 months of food stored, and am in the process of searching for a more sustainable place to move my family to.  Currently I reside in So. Cal.  It hasn't been easy for my wife (I also have two young boys) to Transition, especially at my pace.   I have to keep reminding myself to allow her to work at her pace and try to make it a fun adventure as much as possible.  In the process I also alienated many close friends who thought I was going off the deep end.  Over time I have become better at presenting the material found in CC to people close to me in a much more approachable manner, which has allowed me to maintain the relationships that are meaningful and shed those that aren't.  I listen to a lot of music and have been taking a lot of photos of people, places and things which helps keep me in the moment as well document how things are changing and evolving.  I try to stay active and fit as much as possible by playing basketball and taking long walks.  The community here helps me maintain my sanity with all the madness that surrounds us.

All the best.

Livsez

kcol's picture
kcol

LIvsez:

I really appreciate your post.  The support I feel from you and the others helps a great deal.  Tips on presenting CC in a more palatable way?  Did your wife see it? and how did she react?  My wife is scared (I can't blame her).  What type of food did you store (Freeze dried, MRE etc.) and where did you get it,  How did you store water?  I live in Denver area and wish I was in a less populated area but we both have good jobs.  We talked about selling the house and moving to a less expensive one here but she's concerned the lower neighborhood will have more crime as things deteriorate.  We also bought at the top and in the market would lose a lot of equity. I don't know if we'll leave here but I'm considering having an account in Canada just in case.  She's on board with securing our finances.  I'll try to take it slow.  Any other advice you have is greatly appreciated.Obviously,  I'm not the only one who CC has made a huge impact on.

Take care,

Tycer's picture
Tycer

My wife and I have two different opinions of where things will go and she cares not to discuss it further. Period.

The best attitude for me to keep peace with her and not freaking out all my friends has been one of general preparedness. The most common disasters in a family are disease, unemployment and death. We all know more than one family that has been negatively affected by at least one of those three. 

So outwardly,  I am preparing for one of those common ones and no one thinks I'm too far out in left field. The book Preparedness Principles by Barbara Salisbury is a great place to start. B&N has the best price on it. Nancy even picks the book up and reads it. Good book, a step by step guide for getting started.

Nancy asked her financial advisor about PMs and was directed to take 10% out and buy Gold Eagles. I have a much higher percentage of mine out and in silver. 80% .999 bullion and 20% pre-65 US "junk" coins.

I have recently found The Survival Podcast on iTunes and been able to listen to the archives while at work. There are lots of practical ideas presented there to give food for action.

Speaking of podcasts, if they are your kind of thing, listen to all the Two Beers With Steve podcasts. They are great.

After you get started by taking one baby step after the other preparing for short term disruptions, you and your wife can discuss what long term preparations will "make your lives better if times get tough, or even if they don't."

Regarding water:

Being in the Denver area gives you one challenge I would address in the not too distant future: You live in a desert. If the municipal water supply is compromised, there is a finite amount of time you can stay in your home and that is determined by your access to potable water. Gardening there is also challenging because it's so dry. We have some friends that moved to Ft. Collins and could not handle the lack of water and moved for that very reason. Ft. Collins fined them and confiscated their rain catchment system. Apparently Ft. Collins owns the rain.

One of my long term goals would therefore be finding a home with a permanent water supply and good sun or perhaps a bug-out location that my family could relocate to if times call for it.

Davos's picture
Davos
kencolorado wrote:

Moved our savings to a treasury only money market account.  I'm even considering cashing out my IRA (about 1/3 off our retirement) to invest in precious metals and possibly diversify out of the dollar some.

1 comment: 

1. With respect to Treasuries I'd read this http://theburningplatform.com/groups/quinns-daily-dose-of-reality/discus...
kcol's picture
kcol

Thanks Davos.  Great article.  Where then to you put your money.  I switched to  the mm account becuase I read it's safer than banks.  It's not reasonable to have everything in PM (though  I am a big fan).  What have you done?  I don't have any faith in our government or wall street so what other options are there?

Davos's picture
Davos
kencolorado wrote:

What have you done?

I have faith in the 4G's. G(* religious edit as to not insult my agnostic friends)d, Gold, Guns & The Government has and will continue to scr(* cuss edit as not to insult the fine moderators)w it up trying to fix the mess that they in fact created in 1913, the 1960s and the 1970s and the early 2000s.

Another something you might want to read is 2a-7 

It hurt (taxed up the proverbial) to get out of 401ks, IRAs, and real estate - but an ounce of something is better than nothing.

For us it took years. In 2004 while our friends were building 10,000 square foot McMansions and driving spiffy leased cars we swam upstream and went from 4,000 square feet in a sub division to 1,800 square feet in the mountains, complete with chickens and a garden and a dead cow in our freezer.

PS When I collect the eggs at night they go into one basket. And I have no qualms about storing value in a barbaric relic that has "gone up" for the past 8 years.

Great_White_Mudshark
kcol wrote:

I don't know if we'll leave here but I'm considering having an account in Canada just in case. 

If you are seriously considering this you may want to try to time your purchases of our Canadian dollar unless you are going to continue your holdings in USD within a Canadian bank. It has been pretty volatile recently and at times has traded in the low 80 cent range vs the USD. It is approaching parity again now and long term forecasts have been indicating that it will pass parity with the USD and stay that way. It is driving our manufacturers crazy. The Canadian dollar is increasingly being seen as a petro dollar. Many countries have started adding it as a reserve currency lately. Our banks never did get wobbly by avoiding the sub prime mess for the most part and the short leash applied to them by the government. Even the government had been making a huge profit every year up until last year when the deficit spending started.

Great_White_Mudshark
Tycer wrote:

I have recently found The Survival Podcast on iTunes and been able to listen to the archives while at work. There are lots of practical ideas presented there to give food for action.

Speaking of podcasts, if they are your kind of thing, listen to all the Two Beers With Steve podcasts. They are great.

Don' t forget the Kunstlercast. Important topics yet always good for a few laughs too.

The Two Beers podcast is very good. I had not heard of the Survival Podcast but it looks great also so am downloading that now. Also noticed a Preparedness Podcast as I was searching for the Survival Podcast. The Preparedness Podcast looks promising as well.

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

Wives just want to feel secure.    Let her know   you need her to work with you and not against you to get ready for a few rough times ahead  .( no need to scare her silly all at once ) That making a few sacrifices now will help so much in a while .   Tell her you do not have all the answers but are trying to  provide for her and the kids the very best you know how .    She will live in a much smaller place if she knows you love her  and she sees the peace you have from not being so stressed over how to provide.    Many wives give up family , friends,   everything they own,  and follow their husbands to unknown mission fields ......  If they have trust you will do your best for the family . 

I am going to have to bury a loved one soon .  We really  need very little to make us happy if we choose to realize it .   You do not get to take anything with you.    You will be lucky to have much left for the kids to fight over after the hospital and nursing home get their share .

Think of your needs  and start from there.

livsez's picture
livsez

Did your wife see it? and how did she react?  My wife is scared (I can't blame her).

My wife did see it, about 6 months after I first saw it.  My wife and I eventually agreed to setting aside time, once a week at first, to have discussions about all of this.  She eventually joined me at a CM seminar in Denver!  Chris and Rebecca were amazing to interact with in person.  I Loved Boulder!  There are solid Transition groups in Colorado.  You should check out:

http://transitioncolorado.ning.com/

http://transitiondenver.ning.com/

What type of food did you store (Freeze dried, MRE etc.) and where did you get it,  How did you store water?

We started growing a small vegetable garden, purchased a water purifier and keep a lot of bottled drinking water in circulation, have canned foods and rice, as well as http://www.nitro-pak.com/index.php?cPath=224&osCsid=78898fef9accb5aa6030....

kcol's picture
kcol

Thanks,

I was thinking of opening an account in Canada, though not sure where?  But will Canada do any better in the event of a global collapse?  We're their biggest customer. What do Canada's finances look like (debt to GDP)  Since I'm in medicine, what do you think of Canadian healthcare?

kcol's picture
kcol

livsez:

thanks, I'll check it out.  If I can convince my wife to watch CC then I think I could get her to go to a seminar.  I'd like to show her the 45 min version but can't get it to play? otherwise I'll pick key chapters.  NO way she'll commit to 3 + hours.  How can I contact members in the Denver area?

kcol's picture
kcol

Faith, family and friends(though I believe you have to have guns and gold for protection)

You'vre really enbraced this.  I'd like to get to where you are someday.  In the meantime I'll try to do what I can to secure finances, food water, and supplies.  My wife's been out of town this week.  I'll try to pick a good time to show her crash course though I know she'll resist.  Until I can get her onboard, I'll go it alone.  We use to be caught in the the consumerism and it's liberating to be free of it.  We cut discretionay spending about 6 months ago.  I ony spend if I have to or on something that will have value later.  We have good stable jobs.  I would only consider leaving them once we're more secure.  If you truly believe what's in CC you can't not make major changes in how you live.

kcol's picture
kcol

very well put.

Life is precious.  My wife and I deal with death regularly in our jobs.  Many go thru life wasting time because they assume they'll live a nice long life.  Many never get there.  That's been a blessing to me, cause everyday I love my family and when it's my time I'll have no regrets.

My struggle is to live in the moment and at the same time prepare for an uncertain future.  I need to be there for my wife and kids and not completely obcessing over what may happen.  This is all a shock.  I know the facts to be true but even I have a hard time believing.

Denial is part of our nature.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments