New Functionality: Tracker now available for all registered users

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
admin's picture
admin
New Functionality: Tracker now available for all registered users

We appreciate the feedback we have received about ways to make the site more interactive by providing a summarized list of posts for a user.  As a first step toward this goal, I have enabled functionality which allows each registered member of the site to view posts he or she has made, and links to the responses anyone has made on those posts.

This information is available through the "Tracker" functionality on your member account.  Just click "My Account" from the top bar on any page when logged in, then select the "Track" tab.  The Track page will show a list of all the posts for a user and links to responses.

We will continue to improve this as we go forward, and provide ways for registered members to see each other's posts in a summarized format.  Certainly let us know if there are any questions.

switters's picture
switters
THANK YOU for implementing
THANK YOU for implementing this.  I probably made more noise about this feature than anyone else, so I am especially grateful for your efforts.
admin's picture
admin
No worries at all, glad I
No worries at all, glad I could help.
switters's picture
switters
Re: No worries at all, glad I

I am very grateful for your efforts to improve the comments feature.  What I was really hoping for, though, was the ability to subscribe to the comments on a particular blog or forum post via an RSS feed or email notification.  I have this functionality on my blog and it is very simple to implement.  When a user posts a comment on a blog post, they have the opportunity to tick a checkbox to receive email updates when someone else posts a comment.  Or, they can subscribe to an RSS feed that is specifically for the comments on that blog post. 

The system as it is set up here doesn't seem to work very well.  When I go in to the "tracker" and click on a particular comment I've posted, I am simply taken to the top level of the post that I commented on.  I'm not actually taken to my comment, which means I have to then scroll down and find the comment myself.  If I've posted several comments on the same thread, I have no way of knowing how to get back to a particular comment.  This doesn't encourage dialog between members of the site, because I have to remember in my head which threads I've posted comments to and where the comments are in the thread.

Also, I've noticed that as of yesterday, clicking a comment in the "recent comments" list on the home page also takes me to the top level of the blog post the comment was made on, instead of to the comment itself.  This is very inconvenient, as I have to scroll down and determine where the comment is myself.

What architecture is this site based on?  I have a WordPress blog and it is incredibly simple to implement the features I'm talking about with WordPress - there are free plugins that do it.   

switters's picture
switters
Re: No worries at all, glad I
I just noticed that RSS feeds are now available for individual forum posts.  That's great!  Now if we could get that functionality for comments on individual blog posts I would be a happy camper!
admin's picture
admin
Re: switters on blog posts and comments

switters, I wanted to clarify on the two points you made regarding RSS for blog post comments and clicking on a link for recent comments. 

First, in regards to RSS, it is absolutely available!  When we turned on the ability to track forum comments by RSS, we also turned on same for blog posts.  For any thread, whether it is forums or blogs, just look for the orange RSS logo next to the title.  You may not have noticed, but this was mentioned in the New Ad Policy takes effect immediately post by Erik Townsend: "We’ve added the ability to subscribe through RSS to blog comments and forum threads."

As for the link not taking you directly to the comment, this only happens when comments are in chronological ascending order rather than descending order, and comments start to extend beyond one page.  In this situation, the system does not know if the comment link is on page 2, page 3, or page 8, and cannot place you at its exact location.  The primary reason why is every user can customize their comment viewing experience through the "Comment viewing options".

If you look at the section right below every forum thread and blog post, there is the ability to order comments as threaded or flat, oldest or newest first, and how many comments you wish per page.  To ensure your comment links are going to take you right to the comment, either change the order from "oldest first" to "newest first", or set your number of comments to something like 200 per page.  This will take care of the issue.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

switters's picture
switters
Re: switters on blog posts and comments
I missed that announcement!  Thanks so much for your explanation.  I see the RSS for comments and I've changed my comments display preferences to display 200 per page.  Yea!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments