A New Forum Folder With Contribution-Based Access?

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
JAG's picture
JAG
A New Forum Folder With Contribution-Based Access?

Hi Everyone,

I would like to propose a new idea for discussion. Relative to any other public forum that I have been apart of, the public forum here at CM.com is hands-down the best. The superb infrastructure and moderation that Dr. M has set up for us here has a lot to do with this. But I think there is a way to make this forum even better, and it involves empowering those members of this forum that make the considerable effort to provide useful content to the forum.  Of course the key word here is "useful", but more on that later.

What I propose is that we segregate a thread folder from the public forum and title it the Martenson Community Thinktank folder or something like that. Access to this folder will be free, but it will require one to make regular contributions of useful content to this folder. Basically, if you don't contribute, you don't get to benefit from other people's contributions. This would achieve several things:

• It would empower the sense of community and the feeling that we are all in this together, as everybody in the discussion would share a common goal.
  • It would allow more personal information and experience to be shared because the security threat of an open public forum would be reduced by the restricted access.
  • It would mandate a collective effort to research and effectively share solutions to problems that we will all face in the uncertain future ahead.
  • It would eliminate (or drastically reduce) trolling and the criticism-for-the-sake-of-criticism mentality, and thus provide a forum environment conducive to productive conversation and actionable advice.
  • It would save the time that is wasted digging through the forums looking for anything that is personally useful.

Here are some ideas on how this could be implemented. First of all, a "useful" contribution would be defined as meeting the following criteria:

1. Complies with all existing posting criteria.
  2. Contains information that has actionable value to the reader's survival and adaptability to the changes that lie ahead.
  3. Is fully researched, objective, and adequately footnoted (and/or linked). This requires considerable effort, but just the process of doing this drastically improves the quality of the content.
  4. Incorporates some personal context (experience), such as how this information is (or was) useful to the author.

The above crtiteria is just a suggestion, and ultimately I believe that the moderators will have to determine if a post is useful to the community. I suggest that anyone who wishes to gain access to the Thinktank Forum folder must first provide a post to the public forum that meets the criteria for usefulness. Then a moderator would provide access to the Thinktank folder for a period of one month to the author of that post. Anyone with access to the Thinktank folder must provide a monthly post to that folder to maintain their access.

I have no idea if such an idea is actually doable. And I'm hesitant to suggest that we add to the moderator's already significant workload, but maybe we could ask for a volunteer from the community to help with the proposed additional workload. I would like to ask for some feedback regarding this idea from the community, and also from the staff and moderators if they are willing.

Thanks in advanced...Jeff

crash_watcher's picture
crash_watcher
Re: A New Forum Folder With Contribution-Based Access?

The above criteria is just a suggestion

Jag, I like the general idea, although I'm afraid that applying such criteria to the large number of incoming, and past, threads would be too time consuming, and perhaps too subjective. 

How about a much cruder, but more doable criterion, such as: if the number of views exceeds xx then put the thread into the “think tank.” 

To be useful, the value of xx has to be set high enough that you exclude at least 90 percent of the threads.  If the number of view exceeds the 99th percentile, maybe you make it into one of the “definitive threads.”

You might miss some good threads, but overall you would get ones, that objectively, most people were interested in.

Additionally, I suggest to divide the “think tank” into different useful subject headers, e.g., into the three E’s and preparation themes.

Also, I think it would be better to just leave the content in an open access public forum.

V's picture
V

How about if it aint broke don't fix it. Or we could have a committee decide what is useful and what is not. Well you could have a committee because I intend on staying useless. Now that wine women and song are gone it is my only pleasure.

V

rhare's picture
rhare

One word: WIKI!

I don't  think the problem with the forums now is who contributes/reads them rather it is the format that keeps them from being useful. A forum is a conversation where what you want is a encyclopedia or almanac. I would suggest a Wiki that by default allows subscribed users to contribute, and registered users to contribute with requested permission from the moderators.  That should keep the wiki from becoming SPAM filled. 

I don't see any benefit to not allowing anyone who wants to contribute or read the wiki.  The moderators could remove editing privlidges for anyone that doesn't play nice.   Using the forms in the way you suggest I think is essentially what the definitive threads were intended to accomplish, but I believe they fail because you have to sort through a thousand pages of unsorted/unorganized information.

r's picture
r

A Wiki is a great idea but it doesn't have to be hosted by CM.  I'm giving up on asking CM.com to do something they probably don't have the bandwidth to do.  Besides, it's a great idea to bring more people with different perspectives to the 3E's.  Anyone out there with spare work cycles?

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

Access to this folder will be free, but it will require one to make regular contributions of useful content to this folder. Basically, if you don't contribute, you don't get to benefit from other people's contributions. This would achieve several things:

JAG. Why do you really want things set up this way? It sounds like you just want to control what is said on this site. Who is to decide what is "useful" or what is a "contribution".  It sounds like more of a way to edit speech rather than contribute.

I suggest that anyone who wishes to gain access to the Thinktank Forum folder must first provide a post to the public forum that meets the criteria for usefulness. Then a moderator would provide access to the Thinktank folder for a period of one month to the author of that post. Anyone with access to the Thinktank folder must provide a monthly post to that folder to maintain their access.

Really comrade, really?

JAG's picture
JAG

Rats,

JO, you have exposed my master plan to control your life! <insert Russian cuss word here>! Now that my secret agenda has been exposed, I guess I will have to use my real avatar....KGB! I would elaborate on my secret agenda more, but I don't want this thread to be banished to the conspiracy theory folder.

Well, looking at the feedback for this thread confirms my initial impression that this idea would not be popular here. I gave it a shot and got what I pretty much expected. I think its a damn good idea and will pursue its actualization on my on.

Best...Dmitry

Doug's picture
Doug

Jeff...ur...Dmitry

Quote:

I would elaborate on my secret agenda more, but I don't want this thread to be banished to the conspiracy theory folder.

I think it would be alright if you're actually part of the conspiracy. Cool

Doug

Saffron's picture
Saffron
JAG wrote:

What I propose is that we segregate a thread folder from the public forum and title it the Martenson Community Thinktank folder or something like that. Access to this folder will be free, but it will require one to make regular contributions of useful content to this folder. Basically, if you don't contribute, you don't get to benefit from other people's contributions.

This seems so much at odds with the purpose of this site. Even the sentence "if you don't contribute, you don't get to benefit from other people's contributions" is pretty hostile and judgmental. It assumes that others are here just to steal your brilliant thoughts and rush off to ... what? Prep perhaps? Heaven forbid we attempt to do just what CM is proposing!

How can you know why somebody is not contributing? Maybe they are still raising small children and read what they can here in snatches and then share with other moms who don't even have the time to read, much less contribute in order to earn the privilege of reading. What if English is their second language and they are not comfortable enough with the language to post? Maybe they don't own a computer and read this at the library - 30 minutes time and then they have to give it up to the next person. Maybe they hold two jobs and struggle to find time to read, much less act on what they are reading. There's a thousand possibilities for why a person would be here and not post or post minimally, but if the idea is to get as many people as possible *preparing* then do we really want to shoo them away because they don't have time to read, research, footnote, link, make a video and write a report making sure it includes personal experience but is objective?! 

I just stumbled across the Eyes Wide Open thread tonight. You and land were talking about teenagers and how we need to reach that generation with this message since they are the ones inheriting this mess and they are the ones who need this info. Do you really think they'd feel welcome at a site where they have to earn the right to read by posting something well-researched, footnoted and articulate? Or do you suggest that we ban them to certain areas where the non-contributors are allowed? - yup, that's welcoming to the younger generation. Nothing like the older crowd who created the mess restricting the ones who'll have to deal with it because they don't have anything to contribute yet.

I can appreciate (from what was written on the above thread) that you and others have become dissatisfied with this forum and that people have left - some in a huff, others quietly. Somehow it's not the happening, exciting, high quality, "useful" site it used to be (to you.) Consider that when you've been doing something a few years ahead of others, the continued questions of newcomers and repeated answers are understandably boring. I am a long-time homeschooler with two teens, one in college, and starting the whole thing over with a 7yo. While I am happy to connect one-on-one with a new homeschooler who wants specific advice I just can't spend hours at the park or on a forum anymore, chatting about all the nuances and fretting over every little thing to do - I've been there, done that and while I have new challenges due to starting all over, I don't need the same level of interaction with other homeschoolers. What I'm saying is, I do get it.

However, since we are talking about stuff that is a little more serious than homeschooling, I wish those who feel the site isn't serving them anymore would consider taking a more active role in helping those who are new ... rather than just leaving for greener pastures. Isn't that what we are here for ... community? If you *got* so much from this site during its prime, perhaps you could *give* to others who are just getting here. Wouldn't that be a better way to thank Chris for his effort than turning around and leaving? (I'm not referring to you, Jag, since you are, obviously, still here.)

Rather than a Community Thinktank Folder that cuts out those who don't have time to contribute, how about a Mentor folder where people can ask for specific help and get it offline where everyone doesn't need to be bored by it? How many frustrating exchanges have happened just because somebody didn't know how to do a search or that there already *was* a thread about the topic they just posted? What if we could post a little about ourselves and our specific situation and somebody who is further on the road would be willing to take us under their wing and talk us through some of this stuff ... answer specific questions to get us up to speed ... tell us what threads we shouldn't miss ... maybe guide us to one we don't even know is there because it's on page 13 and we never get past page 1. In other words, community works both ways - consider making a change that reaches out to that annoying newcomer or occasional poster ... you may find with a little time and patience that he *does* have something "useful" to contribute. Something that would not have come out if he'd been made to feel second-rate right off the bat (and yes, having a section that is reserved for "high contributors" would make most of us feel second-rate.)

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
Saffron wrote:
JAG wrote:

What I propose is that we segregate a thread folder from the public forum and title it the Martenson Community Thinktank folder or something like that. Access to this folder will be free, but it will require one to make regular contributions of useful content to this folder. Basically, if you don't contribute, you don't get to benefit from other people's contributions.

This seems so much at odds with the purpose of this site. Even the sentence "if you don't contribute, you don't get to benefit from other people's contributions" is pretty hostile and judgmental. It assumes that others are here just to steal your brilliant thoughts and rush off to ... what? Prep perhaps? Heaven forbid we attempt to do just what CM is proposing!

How can you know why somebody is not contributing? Maybe they are still raising small children and read what they can here in snatches and then share with other moms who don't even have the time to read, much less contribute in order to earn the privilege of reading. What if English is their second language and they are not comfortable enough with the language to post? Maybe they don't own a computer and read this at the library - 30 minutes time and then they have to give it up to the next person. Maybe they hold two jobs and struggle to find time to read, much less act on what they are reading. There's a thousand possibilities for why a person would be here and not post or post minimally, but if the idea is to get as many people as possible *preparing* then do we really want to shoo them away because they don't have time to read, research, footnote, link, make a video and write a report making sure it includes personal experience but is objective?! 

I just stumbled across the Eyes Wide Open thread tonight. You and land were talking about teenagers and how we need to reach that generation with this message since they are the ones inheriting this mess and they are the ones who need this info. Do you really think they'd feel welcome at a site where they have to earn the right to read by posting something well-researched, footnoted and articulate? Or do you suggest that we ban them to certain areas where the non-contributors are allowed? - yup, that's welcoming to the younger generation. Nothing like the older crowd who created the mess restricting the ones who'll have to deal with it because they don't have anything to contribute yet.

I can appreciate (from what was written on the above thread) that you and others have become dissatisfied with this forum and that people have left - some in a huff, others quietly. Somehow it's not the happening, exciting, high quality, "useful" site it used to be (to you.) Consider that when you've been doing something a few years ahead of others, the continued questions of newcomers and repeated answers are understandably boring. I am a long-time homeschooler with two teens, one in college, and starting the whole thing over with a 7yo. While I am happy to connect one-on-one with a new homeschooler who wants specific advice I just can't spend hours at the park or on a forum anymore, chatting about all the nuances and fretting over every little thing to do - I've been there, done that and while I have new challenges due to starting all over, I don't need the same level of interaction with other homeschoolers. What I'm saying is, I do get it.

However, since we are talking about stuff that is a little more serious than homeschooling, I wish those who feel the site isn't serving them anymore would consider taking a more active role in helping those who are new ... rather than just leaving for greener pastures. Isn't that what we are here for ... community? If you *got* so much from this site during its prime, perhaps you could *give* to others who are just getting here. Wouldn't that be a better way to thank Chris for his effort than turning around and leaving? (I'm not referring to you, Jag, since you are, obviously, still here.)

Rather than a Community Thinktank Folder that cuts out those who don't have time to contribute, how about a Mentor folder where people can ask for specific help and get it offline where everyone doesn't need to be bored by it? How many frustrating exchanges have happened just because somebody didn't know how to do a search or that there already *was* a thread about the topic they just posted? What if we could post a little about ourselves and our specific situation and somebody who is further on the road would be willing to take us under their wing and talk us through some of this stuff ... answer specific questions to get us up to speed ... tell us what threads we shouldn't miss ... maybe guide us to one we don't even know is there because it's on page 13 and we never get past page 1. In other words, community works both ways - consider making a change that reaches out to that annoying newcomer or occasional poster ... you may find with a little time and patience that he *does* have something "useful" to contribute. Something that would not have come out if he'd been made to feel second-rate right off the bat (and yes, having a section that is reserved for "high contributors" would make most of us feel second-rate.)

+1

Well said

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

Maybe just come on out with it ... make a list of who is not worthy  .    Then we will know .     At least put out an excommunication letter .

FM

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
Full Moon wrote:

Maybe just come on out with it ... make a list of who is not worthy  .    Then we will know .     At least put out an excommunication letter .

FM

LoL @ Full Moon

Maybe we could have a committee that could be identified by their brown shirt icons to 'regulate' what was worthy to be posted.

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
Johnny Oxygen wrote:
Full Moon wrote:

FM

LoL @ Full Moon

Maybe we could have a committee that could be identified by their brown shirt icons to 'regulate' what was worthy to be posted.

Glad you got the joke ....   Just do not send out the deacons for the shunning ..    

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
Full Moon wrote:
Johnny Oxygen wrote:
Full Moon wrote:

FM

LoL @ Full Moon

Glad you got the joke ....   Just do not send out the deacons for the shunning ..    

Yes. Then I would have to post the Ninety-Five Theses on the home page in retaliation.

V's picture
V
Full Moon wrote:

FM

I like you Full Moon

V

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

I realize the issues are  huge here  and serious too,  but  how are people going to get answers if they do feel they can ask the questions without being critiqued ?  How are they going to learn if they are not comfortable enough to share their fears and concerns without worrying if their grammar was not correct  . Come on with the grace people !  Grace   to those that do not have their jot and tiddles right .  Let the people ask their questions and be  courteous with  your answers .    Even if a person does not have the gift of  BS  they can tell when they are being talked down to  and it does not mean we can not learn from them .   It takes all kinds of talents  to make the world go around .  You do not throw  a family member away because they do not live up to your standards . ... you go help them as best you can ... with kindness. Be more personable .  But for the grace go I .

If we do not live up to the high standard  of excellence here  it is best to  just say so .  You know in a personal letter . Oops   I have gotten them and shame on me I do not conform well  but did repent .   Next step would be to come in with back up right ? And I apologize  ... This was just starting to remind me of some little self righteous  church where we would be hauled in if the daughters skirt was too short or we  did not fully tithe .

We just have to have some fun here , even when the topic is serious, or it will drive us mad trying fix everything  and  save the world .

I spent a few days at the lake with some young people and they understood more than  I thought and they did not have much hope for the future .   So not only have we robbed them of their  financial future and  their healthy planet, we have confused the issues to where they have no hope .So they are doing what makes them forget and feel good no matter what the cost .

If we have allowed the schools to dumb them down then we ought to allow them to ask their questions.

FM

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun

Jeff,

I guess I don't understand why you'd want to do this? I know you gave some points on why, but there seems to be a deeper thought process than what you've listed.  

Is there something missing in the forums at this time that you'd like to see?  Do you think that doing this will make information easier to find?  Is this a way to segregate the community into people that are "good" posters and people that are "bad" posters?  Or to segregate into posters that have the same ideas/opinions/views?  

I'm not trying to be an ass on this one.  I really am trying to understand the thoughts behind why you think this is a good idea for any community. The idea screams "elitist" to me.  

Thanks in advance. 

JAG wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I would like to propose a new idea for discussion. Relative to any other public forum that I have been apart of, the public forum here at CM.com is hands-down the best. The superb infrastructure and moderation that Dr. M has set up for us here has a lot to do with this. But I think there is a way to make this forum even better, and it involves empowering those members of this forum that make the considerable effort to provide useful content to the forum.  Of course the key word here is "useful", but more on that later.

What I propose is that we segregate a thread folder from the public forum and title it the Martenson Community Thinktank folder or something like that. Access to this folder will be free, but it will require one to make regular contributions of useful content to this folder. Basically, if you don't contribute, you don't get to benefit from other people's contributions. This would achieve several things:

• It would empower the sense of community and the feeling that we are all in this together, as everybody in the discussion would share a common goal.
  • It would allow more personal information and experience to be shared because the security threat of an open public forum would be reduced by the restricted access.
  • It would mandate a collective effort to research and effectively share solutions to problems that we will all face in the uncertain future ahead.
  • It would eliminate (or drastically reduce) trolling and the criticism-for-the-sake-of-criticism mentality, and thus provide a forum environment conducive to productive conversation and actionable advice.
  • It would save the time that is wasted digging through the forums looking for anything that is personally useful.

Here are some ideas on how this could be implemented. First of all, a "useful" contribution would be defined as meeting the following criteria:

1. Complies with all existing posting criteria.
  2. Contains information that has actionable value to the reader's survival and adaptability to the changes that lie ahead.
  3. Is fully researched, objective, and adequately footnoted (and/or linked). This requires considerable effort, but just the process of doing this drastically improves the quality of the content.
  4. Incorporates some personal context (experience), such as how this information is (or was) useful to the author.

The above crtiteria is just a suggestion, and ultimately I believe that the moderators will have to determine if a post is useful to the community. I suggest that anyone who wishes to gain access to the Thinktank Forum folder must first provide a post to the public forum that meets the criteria for usefulness. Then a moderator would provide access to the Thinktank folder for a period of one month to the author of that post. Anyone with access to the Thinktank folder must provide a monthly post to that folder to maintain their access.

I have no idea if such an idea is actually doable. And I'm hesitant to suggest that we add to the moderator's already significant workload, but maybe we could ask for a volunteer from the community to help with the proposed additional workload. I would like to ask for some feedback regarding this idea from the community, and also from the staff and moderators if they are willing.

Thanks in advanced...Jeff

JAG's picture
JAG
LogansRun wrote:

Is there something missing in the forums at this time that you'd like to see?  Do you think that doing this will make information easier to find?  Is this a way to segregate the community into people that are "good" posters and people that are "bad" posters?  Or to segregate into posters that have the same ideas/opinions/views?  

LR and others,

I wasn't trying to be a snob, or "forum nazi" , I was just proposing the creation of a thinktank of like-minded people. We all face serious problems ahead, and I'm starting to feel some real urgency to take my preps to the next level. Unfortunately, besides CM's contributions and a few others, I don't see much content in this forum that is helpful in that regard.

Re: the contribution-based access to the Thinktank folder, its design is simply to empower the people who provide helpful content. Nobody wants to make the effort to provide personal content only to have it criticized and ridiculed by those in this community that don't take this seriously. If this was an actual community, and not a virtual community, how long do you think the people who are just here to socialize and not contribute anything to the community would last? Is it too much to ask people to contribute to a community that they are s part of? 

So before anyone criticizes this post, I think they should seriously ask themselves the following question:

"What do I contribute to this community?"

Here is a wake-up call from Capt. Sheeple, there is no more time to waste on bullshit. We need to quit using our time on the computer as a source of entertainment (the new TV?) or social club, and get focused on getting things done. And even if you don't agree with me on the seriousness of the issues that we face, I wasn't proposing to take your forum away from you. I was only proposing that we create one folder where people could have a serious discussion in which everyone contributed. Everyone here is an expert in something, so access to that conversation is just a contribution away for each one of us.

Is this really too much to ask? 

deggleton's picture
deggleton
JAG wrote:

I'm starting to feel some real urgency to take my preps to the next level. Unfortunately, besides CM's contributions and a few others, I don't see much content in this forum that is helpful in that regard.

From that there is a quite significant leap to

JAG wrote:

Here is a wake-up call from Capt. Sheeple, there is no more time to waste on bullshit. We need to quit using our time on the computer as a source of entertainment (the new TV?) or social club, and get focused on getting things done.

Without prescribing to others, which rubs people the wrong way, you could find more of value here simply by asking your burning questions, perhaps also stating your preferences concerning answers (format, mention of discarded considerations, scoring system applied..... ). No one can reliably provide such when they must guess what they are.

Your proposal could be actualized immediately in a Capt. Sheeple's Next Level Preps discussion, right?  Each time you'd post, we'd find a new question from you, seeking either clarification/expansion of something given or an answer to a new question.

Posing questions is an act of leadership and I encourage you to begin/resume.

plato1965's picture
plato1965

Jag, a diluted (but easy to code) version of that idea might be a folder that is visible only to members with x posts (x=1 ? x=100 ?) 

I doubt it would help quality control or signal-to-noise issues much, but it would give a bit more "privacy".. no lurkers.

I don't think *privacy* is your aim though, so scrub that idea...  and besides the paying-members-only folder tackles some of those privacy/seriousness/commitment issues..

What *is* your aim ?

Quality:  invitation only ?   vote up/down ?

Signal-to-noise/Thread inflation: A rationing system especially for new threads ?

Focus - specific preparation/action folder(s) ?  ( I've been pleading about that for ages... *grin* )

Status/ recognition: official titles / priveleges..  meh... I think it's divisive and harmful. (but human.. all too human).

JAG's picture
JAG
deggleton wrote:

Without prescribing to others, which rubs people the wrong way, you could find more of value here simply by asking your burning questions, perhaps also stating your preferences concerning answers (format, mention of discarded considerations, scoring system applied..... ). No one can reliably provide such when they must guess what they are.

Your proposal could be actualized immediately in a Capt. Sheeple's Next Level Preps discussion, right?  Each time you'd post, we'd find a new question from you, seeking either clarification/expansion of something given or an answer to a new question.

Posing questions is an act of leadership and I encourage you to begin/resume.

Please be my guest and start your own thread as you describe, with your own subject of course. If I thought that would work, I would have done it. I give up.

Best....Jeff

V's picture
V

JAG

I feel your pain. But and it is a big but. You as far as I can see are in the wrong place. The intent of this site is to educate newbies. It is clearly stated in the Mission Statement. That being said there are some excellent threads here for preps. There seems to be a great deal of investment discussion as well. I am a little confused  ( though at a higher level) by what it is you are getting at.

CM has not offered any earth shattering prep advice. Threads like the Permaculture thread have a lot of info. The Firearms thread is a gun bible. There is a thread on communication, medical issues, nutrition, water, energy etc. On top of which there are numerous other sites on the weband books and videos available for preparing for a SHTF scenario I am having, like LR, difficulty in seeing what it is you are trying to accomplish.

Maybe you should set up your own site or blog  along the lines of csper.org. Perhaps you could be more specific in what you need.

The intent of this site as well as the CC is to inform and educate as to our predicament. Maybe, and this is just a guess and not judgmental in any way, you are bouncing around on the stages of awareness right now. Fear and bargaining perhaps. No two people will see the predicament the same nor will they see what needs to be done the same. I think one of the very profound things about Damon's site is his incorporation of psychology and spirituality. This is a component missing on this site which can give a container into which all the issues can be looked at holistically.  A quick read of the Mission Statement I think will put in to perspective what this site is about and I think show how closely it really adheres to the goals.

V

PS Now I am going out into the garden which has been neglected for far too long.

deggleton's picture
deggleton
JAG wrote:

Please be my guest and start your own thread as you describe, with your own subject of course. If I thought that would work, I would have done it. I give up.

My burning questions surely are different and anyway may not be at home on this site.

I have two for you, though:  Why go with your private assessment of potential?  Why refuse the simple experiment when there's a chance that you miscalculated?

David

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

David (deggleton),

Visited your site and wanted to say that your post "Genius Is With Us. Let's Get With It" is brilliant!

Larry

JAG's picture
JAG

V,

I can't believe it, but I actually agree with you, I really don't belong here, not anymore anyhow.

What I don't agree with is your statement that I'm caught up in fear or denial.  Just because I don't see any value in Ruppert's musings, doesn't mean I'm in denial. Just because I don't think gold will save you no matter what, doesn't mean I'm in denial. 

But at least I can leave here knowing that I contributed to the community. Besides slamming everybody and everything with your know-it-all attitude, what have you contributed? How is anyone better off after reading your threads or posts? What have you done to promote Dr. M and his message? I think the answer to those questions is more than obvious to everyone here, except maybe you. Denial?

As far as creating my own Thinktank blog, its been up and running since before you graced us all with your presence here. 

But a good solution to my proposal in this thread has been graciously pointed out by Plato. I will just restrict my posting to the paid member forums already in place here. Not only will my $30/month help Dr. M and his cause, but I can be assured that I will never see your free-loading presence in those forums as well. Sounds like a deal to me, thanks Plato!

Adios....

V's picture
V
JAG wrote:

V,

I can't believe it, but I actually agree with you, I really don't belong here, not anymore anyhow.

What I don't agree with is your statement that I'm caught up in fear or denial.  Just because I don't see any value in Ruppert's musings, doesn't mean I'm in denial. Just because I don't think gold will save you no matter what, doesn't mean I'm in denial. 

But at least I can leave here knowing that I contributed to the community. Besides slamming everybody and everything with your know-it-all attitude, what have you contributed? How is anyone better off after reading your threads or posts? What have you done to promote Dr. M and his message? I think the answer to those questions is more than obvious to everyone here, except maybe you. Denial?

As far as creating my own Thinktank blog, its been up and running since before you graced us all with your presence here. 

But a good solution to my proposal in this thread has been graciously pointed out by Plato. I will just restrict my posting to the paid member forums already in place here. Not only will my $30/month help Dr. M and his cause, but I can be assured that I will never see your free-loading presence in those forums as well. Sounds like a deal to me, thanks Plato!

Adios....

I am deeply hurt that you do not get anything from my posts. Of course I am not surprised as you obviously do not read for comprehension. I never mentioned denial once in my last post. What I said was BARGAINING. You are clearly acting out of fear as you feel your preparations are not sufficient. What I said was not a statement. I clearly said it was a guess. Your behavior on this site has been very erratic in a very anxious and  confrontational way. Your use of profanity is clearly an indicator of some unstable emotions.( your post to Nacci for one)

Bargaining is very common here as most preps are designed by their very nature to maintain some sort of status quo.

As far as my posts go some people appreciate them and some don't. I don't care if you do or don't. My ego is not that fragile. As for promoting the work of Chris Martenson that is not my mission in life and he obviously needs no assistance from me. I come to this site because I do not know it all, and I get a lot of info from many posters here. I do not get a lot of info from CM himself as until recently he has not been very present and his recent posts are very basic and have been covered here in depth already. On the subject of gold I don't think I have ever posted my opinion on it or silver for that matter. Everyone has to make up their own mind in regards to what to do with their money. I do have very strong opinions on the current system and the fact that people continue to engage in it. I make no apology for that.

I was completely unaware of your blog as since I have graced everyone with my presence I have not seen mention of it. I am quite sure it is a font of useful information and I will make a point of visiting it.

Now however I am really confused as you are leaving here in a huff to post on the paid site which I believe you recently said you dropped. This is why I appreciate the csper.org site because there is a psychological spiritual component missing here. We are more than our preps , we are more than our portfolios, we are even more than our posts here. The life you are looking at possibly living at some point in the future is one I have been living for over 40 years. If you would drop your projections of me and open to the possibility you could learn something.....anything it might just be helpful.

I recommend Emotions Anonymous for you and everyone here. It is a 12 step program which has helped many people deal with problems dealing with emotions. Most men are unaware they even have emotions (except of course anger) let alone have the skills to express them appropriately These are difficult times we are in and having the support of a caring group of people is a very good form of preparation. I am blessed to have that in my life.

Best of luck in ramping up your preps.

V

ps As I said in post number 2 on this thread my only pleasure left in life is remaining useless.

pps Well as promised I visited your blog and saw it was by invitation only. I can only assume I would not be welcome so I did not fill out the form. Oh well

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

Jeff,

Yes, you do belong here. Every word, sentence and paragraph; every outcry and every agreement, your voice is necessary, as is V. Your contributions are differing, mostly at odds, but equally needed. The site isn't devolving in the least; it is a training ground and support to those who are new to the issue's we face. You and I, and others, teach those new people as best we can with the tools of our experience; experience that has been hard won.

My respect of people here has to be seen as a gesture of understanding what a burden of responsibility I feel, never realising until a few months ago exactly what knowledge I have, and what a gift it can be to those who I previously assumed knew all that I knew.

We're a cooking pot of ideas that will be expanded upon by others that we'll never meet; people that we'll never know we helped, and therefore never know if the work that we're doing is having any desired effect.

'There's nothing sweeter, gentler or softer than water, but water has the power to move mountains'.~ Claire Bertschinger

With Respect,

Paul

soulsurfersteph's picture
soulsurfersteph
JAG wrote:

Umm...excuse me for jumping in here like this, but NO-ONE is obligated to contribute ANYTHING here! 

Calling people free-loaders for not "contributing" in the way you think is best is not positive contribution. This sort of attitude is likely to turn people off of this information more than anything else.

Chris puts this site up of his own free will, and people are welcome to come here and take all the info they can get without giving ANYTHING in return. Isn't the purpose to educate people? Do I need to prove my worthiness to read the information here?

Besides, every single person who comes to this website helps in the following way, even if they never post a damn thing: More traffic means higher rankings for this site, and therefore increased credibility.

In the least, more traffic means more ad impressions for Chris.

I have sites of my own and I'm incredibly happy if people come to them and enjoy what's there. I don't expect any sort of contribution from every single visitor. Sure, money is nice and I'd like more of it, but I give away lots of free info for the simple reason that I like to express myself.

Whether you contribute or not is therefore not the point.

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun

Jeff,

Step away from the keyboard for a day or two.  I feel your pain on not feeling ready for what's coming, as well as the feeling of "Oh shit!".  There are different sites for different aspects of the preparation.  This one may not have what you're looking for to dispel your feelings, but that doesn't mean you have to bail on us.  Use this community for what you find useful and push the other crap away.  But understand that this site MAY NOT have all the answers you're wanting!

Anyway, I understand a bit better now where you're coming from and appreciate the candor.  I don't think this is the place for the request to take place, but if you decide to start your own I'd like to know when and where so I can check it out.  You may want to PM Erik as I know he's working on a site that may to your liking and may have some of the answers you're looking to find.  Just a thought.

Hang in there! 

ao's picture
ao
Vanityfox451 wrote:

Yes, you do belong here. Every word, sentence and paragraph; every outcry and every agreement, your voice is necessary, as is V. Your contributions are differing, mostly at odds, but equally needed. The site isn't devolving in the least; it is a training ground and support to those who are new to the issue's we face. You and I, and others, teach those new people as best we can with the tools of our experience; experience that has been hard won.

VF,

Well stated.  I couldn't agree more.  I find both Jeff's and V's posts valuable. 

Jeff,

You have a way of looking at things that is very different than most here and that capacity for outside-the-box thinking is why your thoughts are so valuable.  You're innovative and creative and always thinking a couple of steps ahead.  Just because everyone doesn't agree with a particular thought doesn't make it less valuable.  In fact, for me, it makes it more valuable since it's often the voice of one crying in the wilderness that we learn much from.  I, for one, would like you to stay.    

r's picture
r
ao wrote:

Jeff,

[...] I, for one, would like you to stay.  

I disagree.  I like JAG and would also point out his contributions but if someone says "i'm out of here" I say that person should keep his or her self-respect and be out of here.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments