New Electric Motorcycle

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rob111's picture
Rob111
Status: Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 21 2009
Posts: 23
New Electric Motorcycle

Brammo has come up with a pretty advanced electric motorcycle that appears to be a game changer as it has greatly extended range and speed.  Pretty cool: 

ao's picture
ao
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 4 2009
Posts: 2220
Re: New Electric Motorcycle

Very cool.

Two reservations, however.  

One, an electric bike is quiet.  Quiet is unsafe in a bike.  A loud bike lets everyone know you're there and increases your "visibility".

Two, bikes are unsafe.  I don't care what you say, they're unsafe.  We're going to the funeral of one of my son's best friends tomorrow.

http://www.miningjournal.net/page/content.detail/id/547602.html?nav=5007

A woman turned right in front of him at night.  It was witnessed by a police officer fueling up in the gas station she was turning into.  Danny was not at fault and was not speeding.  He did everyyhing right.  He put the bike down.  He separated himself from the bike.  The bike hit the car.  Danny slid.  The woman told the police she didn't see him and she didn't know what hit the car.  She proceeded ahead.  She ran him over.  A terrible tragedy of an incredibly talented and extremely personable young man.  I can't imagine his parents' pain.

I could tell you the story of the motorcyclist cold cocked by a ruffed grouse or others taken out by a deer or bear.  Or the guy just tooling down a quiet suburban street at 25 miles an hour when an errant football from kids playing catch flies through the air and lodges under his front wheel, flipping him over and breaking his neck.  Or one going around a corner and hitting a patch of sand or another going around a curve and hitting an oil spill.  I could go on and on with the carnage and the fatalities.  But I will no longer ride one and if anyone in my family bought one, I'd work it over with a sledge hammer until it was out of commission. 

ao's picture
ao
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 4 2009
Posts: 2220
Re: New Electric Motorcycle

P.S.

Awareness,

Sorry.  This is nothing personal against you.  In fact, I love your name.  It's one of my favorite words.  If the world had more of it, it'd be a much better place.  It's just that I'm feeling a lot of emotion regarding this issue presently and seeing a tremendous amount of emotional pain among family, friends, and our community.

Rob111's picture
Rob111
Status: Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 21 2009
Posts: 23
Re: New Electric Motorcycle

AO,

  I completely understand and am very sorry for your loss.

Diogenknees's picture
Diogenknees
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Jun 25 2010
Posts: 109
Re: New Electric Motorcycle
ao wrote:

Very cool.

Two reservations, however.  

One, an electric bike is quiet.  Quiet is unsafe in a bike.  A loud bike lets everyone know you're there and increases your "visibility".

Two, bikes are unsafe.  I don't care what you say, they're unsafe.  We're going to the funeral of one of my son's best friends tomorrow.

http://www.miningjournal.net/page/content.detail/id/547602.html?nav=5007

A woman turned right in front of him at night.  It was witnessed by a police officer fueling up in the gas station she was turning into.  Danny was not at fault and was not speeding.  He did everyyhing right.  He put the bike down.  He separated himself from the bike.  The bike hit the car.  Danny slid.  The woman told the police she didn't see him and she didn't know what hit the car.  She proceeded ahead.  She ran him over.  A terrible tragedy of an incredibly talented and extremely personable young man.  I can't imagine his parents' pain.

I could tell you the story of the motorcyclist cold cocked by a ruffed grouse or others taken out by a deer or bear.  Or the guy just tooling down a quiet suburban street at 25 miles an hour when an errant football from kids playing catch flies through the air and lodges under his front wheel, flipping him over and breaking his neck.  Or one going around a corner and hitting a patch of sand or another going around a curve and hitting an oil spill.  I could go on and on with the carnage and the fatalities.  But I will no longer ride one and if anyone in my family bought one, I'd work it over with a sledge hammer until it was out of commission. 

 

While such event are sad and heart rending, the facts are people die everyday who are not riding motorcycles. People have been killed driving cars by deer, bears and even birds as well.  My brother in law totalled his after a great horned owl hit the windsheld and he went off the road. A friend had a hornet fly in and land down  the front of his shirt, he totalled his car as well. With close to 50,000 being killed in cars every year you might want to take a sledghammer to the car as well.

 

ao's picture
ao
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 4 2009
Posts: 2220
Re: New Electric Motorcycle
Diogenknees wrote:

While such event are sad and heart rending, the facts are people die everyday who are not riding motorcycles. People have been killed driving cars by deer, bears and even birds as well.  My brother in law totalled his after a great horned owl hit the windsheld and he went off the road. A friend had a hornet fly in and land down  the front of his shirt, he totalled his car as well. With close to 50,000 being killed in cars every year you might want to take a sledghammer to the car as well.

Let's not get silly.  It goes without saying that survivability in a car is much, much higher and incidence of injury is much, much lower per number of miles driven.  I would bet your brother-in-law and friend are still alive.  I know a local person who's had 18 impacts with deer over the years, all of which he walked away from unscathed.  Are you suggesting that the situation would've been the same riding a bike?  People have been killed by meteors.  Maybe you should move underground. 

bklement's picture
bklement
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Jan 26 2009
Posts: 108
Re: New Electric Motorcycle

As of 2003 (most recent stats I have) accident rate was approximately double based on number of miles driven and fatality rate was 4 times.  However, the number of people injured per 100,000 registered motorcycles was 1,229 while the number of injuries per 100,000 registered passenger cars was 1,497.

If you start to dig through the stats something kind of stand out though.  1/3 of motorcycle accidents involve a driver that is not properly licensed to drive a motorcycle.  60% of accidents happen at night.

Statistics are kind of interesting.  Personal examples don't always lend to a greater truth.  Personally I drive a motorcycle, as do my parents, 3 brothers, large number of friends and relatives.  The only accident I'm aware of was an uncle hitting a deer (split it in two and he was uninjured).  However I've had multiple friends and relatives killed in car acccidents.

Diogenknees's picture
Diogenknees
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Jun 25 2010
Posts: 109
Re: New Electric Motorcycle
ao wrote:
Diogenknees wrote:

While such event are sad and heart rending, the facts are people die everyday who are not riding motorcycles. People have been killed driving cars by deer, bears and even birds as well.  My brother in law totalled his after a great horned owl hit the windsheld and he went off the road. A friend had a hornet fly in and land down  the front of his shirt, he totalled his car as well. With close to 50,000 being killed in cars every year you might want to take a sledghammer to the car as well.

Let's not get silly.  It goes without saying that survivability in a car is much, much higher and incidence of injury is much, much lower per number of miles driven.  I would bet your brother-in-law and friend are still alive.  I know a local person who's had 18 impacts with deer over the years, all of which he walked away from unscathed.  Are you suggesting that the situation would've been the same riding a bike?  People have been killed by meteors.  Maybe you should move underground. 

 

I've ridden for 40 years and have never hit a deer, football, bear, bird etc. BTW. Both the BIL and friend are dead, but I don't have a fear of bugs or owls because of it. Life goes on and I still drive through wooded areas at night and with the windows down when the weather is nice. 

 

My point is one should not fear inanimate objects, smashing a motorcycle because people get killed riding them make about as much sense as burning down stores that sell cigarettes or blowing up distilleries ( more people die from smoking and booze than motorcycles). The cause of the death in this case was someone who clearly should not have a license to drive, the woman in the car and not the motorcycle.

ao's picture
ao
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 4 2009
Posts: 2220
Re: New Electric Motorcycle
bklement wrote:

As of 2003 (most recent stats I have) accident rate was approximately double based on number of miles driven and fatality rate was 4 times.  However, the number of people injured per 100,000 registered motorcycles was 1,229 while the number of injuries per 100,000 registered passenger cars was 1,497.

If you start to dig through the stats something kind of stand out though.  1/3 of motorcycle accidents involve a driver that is not properly licensed to drive a motorcycle.  60% of accidents happen at night.

Statistics are kind of interesting.  Personal examples don't always lend to a greater truth.  Personally I drive a motorcycle, as do my parents, 3 brothers, large number of friends and relatives.  The only accident I'm aware of was an uncle hitting a deer (split it in two and he was uninjured).  However I've had multiple friends and relatives killed in car acccidents.

You must be getting your stats from Harley Davidson.  I just checked the 2004 NHTSA stats which showed that per miles driven, the fatality rate among motorcyclists was 35 times higher than for automobiles.

ao's picture
ao
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 4 2009
Posts: 2220
Re: New Electric Motorcycle
Diogenknees wrote:

 

I've ridden for 40 years and have never hit a deer, football, bear, bird etc. BTW. Both the BIL and friend are dead, but I don't have a fear of bugs or owls because of it. Life goes on and I still drive through wooded areas at night and with the windows down when the weather is nice. 

My point is one should not fear inanimate objects, smashing a motorcycle because people get killed riding them make about as much sense as burning down stores that sell cigarettes or blowing up distilleries ( more people die from smoking and booze than motorcycles). The cause of the death in this case was someone who clearly should not have a license to drive, the woman in the car and not the motorcycle.

You're lucky.  I've spent 32 years treating a slew of your biking brethren.  It's a personal choice.  Go for it.  Orthopaedic surgeons have to make a living too.  But as for my family ... no bikes. 

It's interesting how I just heard that the last person who mentioned how he never had a bike accident for 35 years when I was treating him for a shoulder injury was recently involved in one.  He's had several surgeries already on multiple lower extremity bones fractured in over 20 places as well as vascular grafts and still may lose the leg ... not my idea of fun.  YMMV.  

Furthermore, whether something is inanimate or animate really makes little difference as to its danger level.  Inaniminate objects will kill or maim you as fast as animate objects.  It's simply a matter of risk reduction, not fear.  I don't fear financial markets but I don't purposely take big risks either.

 

 

Diogenknees's picture
Diogenknees
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Jun 25 2010
Posts: 109
Re: New Electric Motorcycle
ao wrote:
Diogenknees wrote:

 

I've ridden for 40 years and have never hit a deer, football, bear, bird etc. BTW. Both the BIL and friend are dead, but I don't have a fear of bugs or owls because of it. Life goes on and I still drive through wooded areas at night and with the windows down when the weather is nice. 

My point is one should not fear inanimate objects, smashing a motorcycle because people get killed riding them make about as much sense as burning down stores that sell cigarettes or blowing up distilleries ( more people die from smoking and booze than motorcycles). The cause of the death in this case was someone who clearly should not have a license to drive, the woman in the car and not the motorcycle.

You're lucky.  I've spent 32 years treating a slew of your biking brethren.  It's a personal choice.  Go for it.  Orthopaedic surgeons have to make a living too.  But as for my family ... no bikes. 

It's interesting how I just heard that the last person who mentioned how he never had a bike accident for 35 years when I was treating him for a shoulder injury was recently involved in one.  He's had several surgeries already on multiple lower extremity bones fractured in over 20 places as well as vascular grafts and still may lose the leg ... not my idea of fun.  YMMV.  

Furthermore, whether something is inanimate or animate really makes little difference as to its danger level.  Inaniminate objects will kill or maim you as fast as animate objects.  It's simply a matter of risk reduction, not fear.  I don't fear financial markets but I don't purposely take big risks either

There is risk reduction and then there is irrational fear. Smashing motorcycles because of potentail accidents is irrational. If a person was truly concerned about accidents they'd take the train, as car accidents are the  leading cause of accidental death.

ao's picture
ao
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 4 2009
Posts: 2220
Re: New Electric Motorcycle
Diogenknees wrote:
ao wrote:
Diogenknees wrote:

 

I've ridden for 40 years and have never hit a deer, football, bear, bird etc. BTW. Both the BIL and friend are dead, but I don't have a fear of bugs or owls because of it. Life goes on and I still drive through wooded areas at night and with the windows down when the weather is nice. 

My point is one should not fear inanimate objects, smashing a motorcycle because people get killed riding them make about as much sense as burning down stores that sell cigarettes or blowing up distilleries ( more people die from smoking and booze than motorcycles). The cause of the death in this case was someone who clearly should not have a license to drive, the woman in the car and not the motorcycle.

You're lucky.  I've spent 32 years treating a slew of your biking brethren.  It's a personal choice.  Go for it.  Orthopaedic surgeons have to make a living too.  But as for my family ... no bikes. 

It's interesting how I just heard that the last person who mentioned how he never had a bike accident for 35 years when I was treating him for a shoulder injury was recently involved in one.  He's had several surgeries already on multiple lower extremity bones fractured in over 20 places as well as vascular grafts and still may lose the leg ... not my idea of fun.  YMMV.  

Furthermore, whether something is inanimate or animate really makes little difference as to its danger level.  Inaniminate objects will kill or maim you as fast as animate objects.  It's simply a matter of risk reduction, not fear.  I don't fear financial markets but I don't purposely take big risks either

There is risk reduction and then there is irrational fear. Smashing motorcycles because of potentail accidents is irrational. If a person was truly concerned about accidents they'd take the train, as car accidents are the  leading cause of accidental death.

And to some people, buying gold is irrational.  In my estimation, riding a bike is irrational given your odds.  Given a little thought on your part, I think you can figure out why car accidents are a leading cause of accidental death.    

goes211's picture
goes211
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 18 2008
Posts: 1114
Re: New Electric Motorcycle
Diogenknees wrote:
ao wrote:
Diogenknees wrote:

 

I've ridden for 40 years and have never hit a deer, football, bear, bird etc. BTW. Both the BIL and friend are dead, but I don't have a fear of bugs or owls because of it. Life goes on and I still drive through wooded areas at night and with the windows down when the weather is nice. 

My point is one should not fear inanimate objects, smashing a motorcycle because people get killed riding them make about as much sense as burning down stores that sell cigarettes or blowing up distilleries ( more people die from smoking and booze than motorcycles). The cause of the death in this case was someone who clearly should not have a license to drive, the woman in the car and not the motorcycle.

You're lucky.  I've spent 32 years treating a slew of your biking brethren.  It's a personal choice.  Go for it.  Orthopaedic surgeons have to make a living too.  But as for my family ... no bikes. 

It's interesting how I just heard that the last person who mentioned how he never had a bike accident for 35 years when I was treating him for a shoulder injury was recently involved in one.  He's had several surgeries already on multiple lower extremity bones fractured in over 20 places as well as vascular grafts and still may lose the leg ... not my idea of fun.  YMMV.  

Furthermore, whether something is inanimate or animate really makes little difference as to its danger level.  Inaniminate objects will kill or maim you as fast as animate objects.  It's simply a matter of risk reduction, not fear.  I don't fear financial markets but I don't purposely take big risks either

There is risk reduction and then there is irrational fear. Smashing motorcycles because of potentail accidents is irrational. If a person was truly concerned about accidents they'd take the train, as car accidents are the  leading cause of accidental death.

Diogenknees,

Is your sole purpose as a new member to run around on threads and pick fights with respected long time members?  Just wondering...

Diogenknees's picture
Diogenknees
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Jun 25 2010
Posts: 109
Re: New Electric Motorcycle
goes211 wrote:
Diogenknees wrote:
ao wrote:
Diogenknees wrote:

 

I've ridden for 40 years and have never hit a deer, football, bear, bird etc. BTW. Both the BIL and friend are dead, but I don't have a fear of bugs or owls because of it. Life goes on and I still drive through wooded areas at night and with the windows down when the weather is nice. 

My point is one should not fear inanimate objects, smashing a motorcycle because people get killed riding them make about as much sense as burning down stores that sell cigarettes or blowing up distilleries ( more people die from smoking and booze than motorcycles). The cause of the death in this case was someone who clearly should not have a license to drive, the woman in the car and not the motorcycle.

You're lucky.  I've spent 32 years treating a slew of your biking brethren.  It's a personal choice.  Go for it.  Orthopaedic surgeons have to make a living too.  But as for my family ... no bikes. 

It's interesting how I just heard that the last person who mentioned how he never had a bike accident for 35 years when I was treating him for a shoulder injury was recently involved in one.  He's had several surgeries already on multiple lower extremity bones fractured in over 20 places as well as vascular grafts and still may lose the leg ... not my idea of fun.  YMMV.  

Furthermore, whether something is inanimate or animate really makes little difference as to its danger level.  Inaniminate objects will kill or maim you as fast as animate objects.  It's simply a matter of risk reduction, not fear.  I don't fear financial markets but I don't purposely take big risks either

There is risk reduction and then there is irrational fear. Smashing motorcycles because of potentail accidents is irrational. If a person was truly concerned about accidents they'd take the train, as car accidents are the  leading cause of accidental death.

Diogenknees,

Is your sole purpose as a new member to run around on threads and pick fights with respected long time members?  Just wondering...

 

For one, I am not picking fights, I'm just trying to figure out  the reasoning behind some of the responses here on the forum. I just find it odd that people who are willing to look behind the curtain on other issues dismiss this out of hand because "motorcycles are dangerous".

This thread opened about an important breakthrough in electric vehicles, only to get highjacked into "motorcycles are dangerous "  totally ignoring the fact that a major hurdle in the technolodgy had happened. I live in an area where electric scooters and bikes are all over the place for urban transportation, expanding the range of such vehicles to 100 miles, and being able to charge from a 110 outlet is an important development in and age of declining oil output.

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 25 2009
Posts: 1182
Re: New Electric Motorcycle

not to mention the most mass produced vehicle ever(and most copied) is the Honda cub,c70,passport etc. withour which the third world would have to walk or use methane belching critters they could other wise eat.

robie

bklement's picture
bklement
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Jan 26 2009
Posts: 108
Re: New Electric Motorcycle
ao wrote:
bklement wrote:

As of 2003 (most recent stats I have) accident rate was approximately double based on number of miles driven and fatality rate was 4 times.  However, the number of people injured per 100,000 registered motorcycles was 1,229 while the number of injuries per 100,000 registered passenger cars was 1,497.

If you start to dig through the stats something kind of stand out though.  1/3 of motorcycle accidents involve a driver that is not properly licensed to drive a motorcycle.  60% of accidents happen at night.

Statistics are kind of interesting.  Personal examples don't always lend to a greater truth.  Personally I drive a motorcycle, as do my parents, 3 brothers, large number of friends and relatives.  The only accident I'm aware of was an uncle hitting a deer (split it in two and he was uninjured).  However I've had multiple friends and relatives killed in car acccidents.

You must be getting your stats from Harley Davidson.  I just checked the 2004 NHTSA stats which showed that per miles driven, the fatality rate among motorcyclists was 35 times higher than for automobiles.

 

I can't seem to find the 2004 numbers.  Mine are from NHTSA 2001-2002.  One thing I did notice when going back to the 70's is that the fatality rate has been increasing.  I'd be curious as to what the cause would be.  If I had to guess I'd say it would be things like increased speed, cell phones, and the larger amounts of new drivers.

Diogenknees's picture
Diogenknees
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Jun 25 2010
Posts: 109
Re: New Electric Motorcycle
bklement wrote:
ao wrote:
bklement wrote:

As of 2003 (most recent stats I have) accident rate was approximately double based on number of miles driven and fatality rate was 4 times.  However, the number of people injured per 100,000 registered motorcycles was 1,229 while the number of injuries per 100,000 registered passenger cars was 1,497.

If you start to dig through the stats something kind of stand out though.  1/3 of motorcycle accidents involve a driver that is not properly licensed to drive a motorcycle.  60% of accidents happen at night.

Statistics are kind of interesting.  Personal examples don't always lend to a greater truth.  Personally I drive a motorcycle, as do my parents, 3 brothers, large number of friends and relatives.  The only accident I'm aware of was an uncle hitting a deer (split it in two and he was uninjured).  However I've had multiple friends and relatives killed in car acccidents.

You must be getting your stats from Harley Davidson.  I just checked the 2004 NHTSA stats which showed that per miles driven, the fatality rate among motorcyclists was 35 times higher than for automobiles.

 

I can't seem to find the 2004 numbers.  Mine are from NHTSA 2001-2002.  One thing I did notice when going back to the 70's is that the fatality rate has been increasing.  I'd be curious as to what the cause would be.  If I had to guess I'd say it would be things like increased speed, cell phones, and the larger amounts of new drivers.

I would have to say the reason is people who have never ridden going out and buying the biggest bike they can afford. Right now the highways are full of 50 plus riders who went out and bought  a Harley to fufill a teenaged dream ;~) It used to be you started on a smaller bike and worked up to more powerful machines. My first bike was a 1965 80cc Suzuki trail bike, two years later I bought a 250cc suzuki and a 650 Bsa two years after that. Other machines have come and gone, my current machine is a vintage bike, a 1966 Ducati 250.

 

In England they went to a graduated license system, you can't just go and hop on any bike, you are restricted the first two years to smaller bikes before you can get an unlimited permit. This makes far more sense to me than novice riders hopping on 100+hp machines with no skills.

Rob111's picture
Rob111
Status: Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 21 2009
Posts: 23
Re: New Electric Motorcycle

Diogenknees is correct,

 

  The reason i started this topic was(as Diogenknees said) because of the breakthrough in technology represented by Brammo and their new bike.  Whether or not someone deems riding a motorcycle as dangerous is a personal view which I can't argue with.  One thing I might add however is that anything we do in life has risks associated with it, my father for instance had just stepped off of a city bus and was in the process of crossing a street when he was struck by a motorcycle(go figure) which severly disabled him and led to his early demise.  Personally I believe we should all do our best at taking care of our health and taking the necessary precautions but we should not let our fears rule our life.  Riding a motorcycle can be dangerous but there are steps that can be taken(helmut, riding gear,air bags) that can lesson the risk.  The new bike by Brammo does seem to offer a brighter future for all of us in terms of personal transportation. Here's to a brighter future for all of us!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments