New California Law Will Have Severe Impact on Small CA Websites Including LATOC

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
suziegruber's picture
suziegruber
New California Law Will Have Severe Impact on Small CA Websites Including LATOC

I just learned that California legislators in efforts to close the budget shortfall have included a provision in the latest budget that will likely result in internet affiliates pulling advertising from small business' websites.  Amazon has already sent a letter to the CA state government saying they will do so if the bill passes.  You can read about the details of the proposal here"

http://newsblaze.com/story/20090622022647nnnn.nb/topstory.html

Why do i care?  Because one of the websites affected is Matt Savinar's site, lifeaftertheoilcrash.net.  Matt has tirelessly educated many, many people about the realities of peak oil.  While his style is very direct and overwhelming for some people, I believe he is providing much needed information especially through his Breaking News page.  His site caused me to wake up to the realities of Peak Oil.

What can we do?  If any of you out there have been thinking about crash prep supplies or anything from Amazon, if you buy them through Matt's site, it will help the site stay afloat.  www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net.

Thanks,

Suzie

VeganDB12's picture
VeganDB12
Re: New California Law Will Have Severe Impact on Small CA ...

I make sure I read Matt's breaking news updates every night (after visiting CM's site and Davos' blog several times throughout the day). Matt stated in his letter that he thinks these internet state sales tax laws are going into effect to shut down small commercial operators on the web, which is also quite disconcerting.  I think he will need money to continue and he is asking people to consider purchasing through his links for a 5-10 percent commission.  Or make a donation. His letter is at the home page of his site which you posted.  This same tax law went into effect in  New York last year.  I had no idea it could have such a serious impact on businesses.  So the states lose the additional sales tax revenue they are reaching for and then some.  And possibly adding to the unemployment problem by eliminating small businesses that don't even get counted in the magical life death correction of the BLS statistics. Great solution!

Guess it is time to prepare for the return of the 70 percent marginal tax rate.  Except we don't get the 12 percent rates on our money markets to compensate. I still remember money markets that yielded over 10 percent. I must be ancient.

Denise

Headless's picture
Headless

Re: Matt Savinar's site

I have to wonder about the intelligence of a guy that has so much content on his homepage that it crashes your computer (Brand New HP). I've emailed him before, suggesting he hire someone who knows something about web design. I can't be the only person who has never read his site because of this issue.

jerrydon10's picture
jerrydon10

***** I still remember money markets that yielded over 10 percent. I must be ancient.*****

Nope...He he....Remember that women age like fine wine, Denise.

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder
Headless wrote:

Re: Matt Savinar's site

I have to wonder about the intelligence of a guy that has so much content on his homepage that it crashes your computer (Brand New HP). I've emailed him before, suggesting he hire someone who knows something about web design. I can't be the only person who has never read his site because of this issue.

Perhaps it's a memory issue?

I have a Dell machine running Vista Home Premium with 4G of memory. As I type this, I have eight separate programs running (not to mention all the ones running in the background) with a total of 15 windows open and multiple tabs open in multiple pages in Firefox. I opened up another tab in Firefox and went to Matt's site and have no problems at all.

suziegruber's picture
suziegruber

Headless,

I have been reading Matt's site for over 4 years on several different PCs including HPs with no problems.  I do have problems accessing it on my Blackberry due to Java script issues.  You might investigate that direction.

--Suzie

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

I don't think this will stop with New York and California.  Most states are facing huge budget shortfalls and they are watching for new ideas to fill the gap.

Thanks for the link to Matt Savinar's site, looks very interesting and I will try to help him with some business.

Larry   

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments