Networking with others in the same region

57 posts / 0 new
Last post
DRHolden's picture
DRHolden
Networking with others in the same region

I've seen others postings about how frustratingly hard it can be to find like-minded people locally. Is there a way through this site that we can set something up to help people find and connect others near them?  Who knows, maybe somebody lives in my town that I'm not aware of.   I've been preparing mentally for what's to come, but not so much actual work done.  I want to keep moving the right direction, but I don't want to appear as an alarmist or unstable by others (sheeple) around me.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Re: Networking with others in the same region
DrHolden wrote:

I want to keep moving the right direction, but I don't want to appear as an alarmist or unstable by others (sheeple) around me.

Doc -

Take this for what it's worth.....

Referring to them as "sheeple" when what they likely really are is uninformed is going to move you in the wrong direction and make your efforts at preparations lonelier and more difficult.

Hang a post up asking for any readers in your geographic area to respond via PM or post.  Each response post will bump your thread back to the Recent Comments scroll.  If you aren't getting many responses, bump the post yourself.  Give it a week or so and I'll bet you will have a pretty good list to start with.

Here's an example - it ended up leading to the Lowesville Seminar Chris and Becca did.

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/looking-more-middle-atlantic-ncvawv-md-people-add-virginia-group/13274

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

ANYONE IN THE FLORIDA AREA ON THIS SITE?? 

Post here if you don't mind. Thanks. 

DRHolden's picture
DRHolden
Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote:
DrHolden wrote:

I want to keep moving the right direction, but I don't want to appear as an alarmist or unstable by others (sheeple) around me.

Referring to them as "sheeple" when what they likely really are is uninformed is going to move you in the wrong direction and make your efforts at preparations lonelier and more difficult.

When you say "them", who are you talking about?  I'm probably one of "them", but just slightly more aware, and slightly more prepared Smile

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
DrHolden wrote:
Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote:
DrHolden wrote:

When you say "them", who are you talking about?  I'm probably one of "them", but just slightly more aware, and slightly more prepared Smile

Doc -

"Them" are the 'others" you mentioned in your original post.  The ones around you that you don't want to appear as an alarmist to.

And I think by definition, being a little more aware and slightly prepared (it's all relative anyway) means you can't be one of "them".

Doug's picture
Doug

I suggest that it may be a little difficult to find a significant number of people if you don't live in a densely populated area like the mid-Atlantic region.  I have posted such a notice here and got one response from a fellow who lives about three hours away.  That is a good contact, but it is pretty likely to not advance beyond email exchanges.

Doug

Travlin's picture
Travlin

DrHolden

I don’t think the CM staff will offer a specific mechanism to help you do this because of potential liability risks.  However, it is easy for you to do it yourself.  As Doug mentioned, responses are likely to be higher near a city.  What have you got to lose by trying?

Start a thread naming your location that invites local people to respond either by posting or private message.  If you get enough people interested in meeting you can reserve a free room at a place like a public library and post a meeting notice on the thread.  You can also advertise in a local publication.  Some people may show up who didn’t even contact you.  Chances are that some people will know others who aren't on these forums but have similar views and would be interested in meeting.  Include an open invitation in your signature line for local people to contact you.

Travlin 

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

Shout out to all Kansans and Missourians! Any of you out there?

patrickhenry's picture
patrickhenry

Anyone else here in the south central Wisconsin area ??

hardingcrew's picture
hardingcrew

I live in Howard County, Ellicott City, MD not far from Baltimore, MD

Travlin's picture
Travlin

If you don't get much response from posting your various locations in this thread, then consider starting a new thread with your location in the title.  It will get attention better and survive as a resource for people coming later who do a search.

I like the John Brown visual Johnny.  I''m glad your two states get along better these days.  We don't need another Lawerence Kansas event.

Travlin 

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

Just got one PM. Keep em' coming! 

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

I like the John Brown visual Johnny.  I''m glad your two states get along better these days.  We don't need another Lawerence Kansas event.

Travlin 

Yep we finally put the Missouri Compromise behind us...unless one is refering to the mullet.

As far as the John Brown pic goes maybe a psychopathic religious zealot (who's heart was in the right place) wasn't the best choice to represent Kansas. Undecided

Travlin's picture
Travlin

I believe it was in Ulysses S Grant's autobiography that I read that one of them boarded with the other’s family for a while when they were teenagers.  John was considered very strange even then.  If you like history the Grant autobio is very well written and enjoyable.  It was published by Mark Twain who made a fortune on it.  The world was much smaller back then.

Travlin 

joemanc's picture
joemanc

I set my location so it shows up at the bottom of each post I make...not that I have gotten a PM from anyone, yet, but I was hoping that might start a trend...it didn't...at least I tried....

catherder's picture
catherder

I'm in the Worcester MA region - anyone else out there? email is jah1954 at hotmail dot com.

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater

Anyone in the Carolinas or northern GA please PM me.

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

Since I never miss a chance to jibberjabber on about Community I reckon it's impossible for anybody here not to know already that my wife & I are in New Paltz, NY.  If you're in the Mid-Hudson Valley and want to collaborate, shoot me a private message.

Viva -- Sager

harm123's picture
harm123

Is there anyone in the Canton OH area?

Ready's picture
Ready

I'm in Missouri, and haven't sported a mullet in over a month. Too cold, so I'm letting it grow out.

DRHolden's picture
DRHolden
Ready wrote:

I'm in Missouri, and haven't sported a mullet in over a month. Too cold, so I'm letting it grow out.

I thought mullets went extinct years ago.  Maybe just wishful thinking Smile  I was looking at a college with one of my kids a couple years ago and somebody had put up a Mulletin Board (LOL) that was full of pictures of people sporting mullets.  It was quite entertaining

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

The trend that still freaks me out is the pants around the thighs thing. That trend has to be over 20 yrs old now. Why in the heck is it still popular?

This guy is rockin' both styles at once.

Did I look that stupid at that age? Probably.

harm123's picture
harm123

Nice pic!  :)

Why in the heck is it still popular?

I dont know why, but Coco loves 'em.

Did I look that stupid at that age?

Yes and so did I. :(

Doug's picture
Doug

harm123

Quote:

I don't think so.  Displaying one's underwear to the world has to be among the stupidest fashion statements ever.  Long hair and bellbottoms don't come close.

Doug

harm123's picture
harm123

harm123

Quote:

I don't think so.  Displaying one's underwear to the world has to be among the stupidest fashion statements ever.  Long hair and bellbottoms don't come close.

Doug

2 words: mull et.

:)

(Is there a primer on the html tags to use?  My standard format is not working here.)

grl's picture
grl

Okay...one of the most off-topic hijacks of a post I have seen. ...whatever. Smile

Back to the topic....about two years ago, I organized a group of about ten or so like-minded folks from this site and personal acquaintances, all living within about 15 miles of each other. The group had potential but we fell apart as the scarier parts of the "crisis" began to wane. Wish we could re-form the group and bring in others (the many others) who have joined CM since 2008.

Orange County California anyone? Interested? email me at  socalcc   at gmail.com

Travlin's picture
Travlin

I'm curious.  For those of you who posted invitations on this thread, what kinds of responses have you gotten?

Travlin 

Jager06's picture
Jager06

grl-

I have been fairly successful in my area with keeping a few diverse groups together. We have regular meetings, a secretary, and work parties to help each other with our different phases of preparedness.

We have also incorporated using some our retailers licenses to increase wholesale rate discounts on items purchased in bulk. We recently purchased 15 "Simple Pump" pumps for one group, and 30 ceramic candle water filtration systems for another.  We have been able to leverage the retirees with most of them volunteering to do supply runs for those who cannot get the time, and we make sure they get compensated with lunch or dinner and gas money.

The groups are organized geographically, with the largest numbering about 35 families right now. They are aware of each other, but without much interaction at this point, due to the unwieldiness of it. Once TSHTF they/ we will be interactiong much more, and the excess food, energy/ knowledge we will be able to provide should become a basis for a system of economics in our area.

I make it a point to give everyone time to during meetings to publicly discuss the project(s) they may be working on, ask for help or advice, or give it in relation to specific issues that they may be encountering. Topics run from foreclosure fraud to aquaponics to trapping and food processing to home remedies and emergency surgical techniques. It is always a learning and growing experience.

Best wishes,

Jager06

Doug's picture
Doug
Travlin wrote:

I'm curious.  For those of you who posted invitations on this thread, what kinds of responses have you gotten?

Travlin 

I didn't post an invitation on this thread, but I did on another.  I got one response from a fellow who lives a few hours away.  We've had a nice email exchange, but it is unlikely that we could organize work parties or closer arrangements.

Doug

grl's picture
grl

Very impressive Jager06. It would be great if you could share with the rest of us (or direct us to a link already posted elsewhere) how you were able to get so many involved.

The reason I believe our little group didn't last is because everyone seemed to be on a different page. There were a few who were preparing for a  Mad Max world while there were others (well, one) who thought any talk of preparedness was silly and then those of us in-between.

I would love to build a community of people who are aware that life might not always be as easy as it is now (i.e. a major disruption could result in food/water shortages etc) who are caring, not just out to protect themselves (as the Mad Maxers seemed to be) and would like to prepare as a group so that we can not only help our families and each other but our friends and neighbors who cannot see a future we see. What would be really cool (but just a dream) would be for a group to all pitch in and buy a small nearby farm that we would maintain (with a well ) and would be available as needed. 

grl's picture
grl
Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote:
DrHolden wrote:

Doc -

Take this for what it's worth.....

DiaP: while I agree with you that calling the so called others "sheeple" will alienate those you might want to educate, I think the term "sheeple" has its place. There are many, many people out there who are not interested in being informed and find reality TV or the latest Hollywood gossip or whatever far more worth their time and effort. They are "sheeple" as they choose to be uninformed and will be led by whatever authority tells them. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments