Need an economist's name

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
land2341's picture
land2341
Need an economist's name

I am looking for a fairly conservative economist whose last name starts with an S.

Salazar,  Soyez,  ah I hate not being able to remember.  I was told he was a viewpoint I should research and you guys are the only people smart enough to know who this is...

What's his name??  What did he write??

ashvinp's picture
ashvinp
Re: Need an economist's name

Maybe Peter Schiff? He's conservative as in libertarian. I guess he's not technically an economist though.

Probably Joseph Stiglitz... he's got some good views.

land2341's picture
land2341

I know it isn't schiff,  that one I would have remembered!

I just read up on Stiglitz and Stiglitz sounds WAY to open to government intervention for the argument the person was making.  If it was Stiglitz I seriously misunderstood this person......  And since he believes Eugenics is a good social policy to weed out undesirables I think I understood him...

I truly appreciate the shot,  any more ideas gang??

goes211's picture
goes211

Maybe Joseph Schumpeter of "creative distruction" fame?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Schumpeter

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

Not an economist, but I bump up against people who think Julian Simon is all that and a bag a chips.

Of course, Mr. Simon (RIP) believed we'd always innovate ourselves out of any predicaments we found ourselves in...

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

Sammy...Swimmy...Swanson....Samsonite!

I was way off.

TheRemnant's picture
TheRemnant

Herbert Simon?  George Stigler?  Myron Scholes? Richard Stone?  Robert Solow? William Forsyth Sharp?  Amartya Sen?  Thomas Schelling? Jeffery Sachs?

Ahhh come on, you made my brain work despite all the beer I drank.  Did I get any of em?

ashvinp's picture
ashvinp
land2341 wrote:

I just read up on Stiglitz and Stiglitz sounds WAY to open to government intervention for the argument the person was making.  If it was Stiglitz I seriously misunderstood this person......  And since he believes Eugenics is a good social policy to weed out undesirables I think I understood him...

Hmmm, maybe you'd just be better off not following this person's advice about who to read.

land2341's picture
land2341
ashvinp wrote:
land2341 wrote:

LOL!!!  But, you see this person TEACHES!  So, I thought I would see what he uses to justify his belief system.........     Besides I always try to read up on people whose ideas conflict with mine.  Good for the brain - otherwise you're just egocasting.

I give up I am going to have to ask him again who he meant  - since I have to ask I wonder if that will place me in the "undesirable" column?

Hmmm, maybe you'd just be better off not following this person's advice about who to read.

christophe's picture
christophe

Adrian Salbuchi on global economic collapse FreedomizerRadio Hardtail news with Doc 3/15/10

you can see him on youtube

he did a few of the economic collapse part 1-2

all should see it

regards

christophe

land2341's picture
land2341
christophe wrote:

Adrian Salbuchi on global economic collapse FreedomizerRadio Hardtail news with Doc 3/15/10

you can see him on youtube

he did a few of the economic collapse part 1-2

all should see it

regards

christophe

Thanks Christophe!

Perhaps that is who it was,  I have seen this vid before.  I will look to see what he has posted this year.  He expected our collapse to happen last year.  Celente is still betting on essentially next month.....

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
land2341 wrote:

Celente is still betting on essentially next month.....

Oh man, I totally forgot!

A friend of ours was moving outtatown about a month ago.  She was having a big honkin' yard sale before the move.  A bunch of us were at her place to have a farewell BBQ and help out with the sale (moving furniture onto the lawn, cleaning stuff up for sale, etc.).  A late-middle-aged guy pulls up in an Audi convertible (A4 I think?) with a young woman.  He's only nibbling around the edges of the goods for sale but the woman is happily examining everything.  He's dressed in a sharp summery-suit-type thing, but he's one of those people that even when they're dressed up they look sorta rumpled.  I overheard him talking to one of our friends about nothing in particular, passing the time while his companion worked her way through the considerable offerings.  He sounded/felt familiar but I couldn't place him and pretty soon got called away to fire up the grill and get dinner going.

About 5 minutes after they drove off, I finally placed him -- 'twere Gerald Celente!  (His offices are in Kingston, NY, about 15 minutes from where we were.)  Very weird -- a prophet of the apocalypse, tooling around in a luxe convertible on a sunny Summer weekend day with a woman 20 years his junior.

I don't suppose this anecdote is worth much, but maybe somma ya'll will get a kick out of it...

Viva -- Sager

land2341's picture
land2341

So why isn't the guru of crash driving a diesel engined 4x4??

And hey he needs a 20 something so she'll be sturdy and healthy during the after math....  Can't be draggin around some old middle aged wife under those conditions!

Although personally all they really need to do is gather a whole platoon of menopausal women,  arm them,  aim them at wall street and tell them that those guys are the ones who are messing with their chocolate supply.  Problem solved.  Cool

OK I'l admit I just want to go in there a blazing and call it temporary insanity due to lack of chocolate.

land2341's picture
land2341
TheRemnant wrote:

Herbert Simon?  George Stigler?  Myron Scholes? Richard Stone?  Robert Solow? William Forsyth Sharp?  Amartya Sen?  Thomas Schelling? Jeffery Sachs?

Ahhh come on, you made my brain work despite all the beer I drank.  Did I get any of em?

Ding ding ding!!  I think we have a winner!!  I am pretty sure it was Solow.  I clearly have to do some real diggin,  but if this quote is really his I know why this was his guy:

"If it is very easy to substitute other factors for natural resources, then there is, in principle, no problem. The world can, in effect, get along without natural resources."

But then he posited not an exact quote - that once you get to a certain point in economics you are engaging in amateur sociology.  I wonder if my debate partner is aware of this admission.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments