Natural Gas Generator

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
SteveR's picture
SteveR
Natural Gas Generator

I was wondering if it would make any sense to purchase a natural gas generator for my house, as a backup to the electric grid.

"Common knowledge" is that the gas still flows when the power goes out.  But, in a wide-spread power grid infrastructure collapse, would that be true?  It seems that the natural gas infrastructure would require electricity from the grid to compress it, monitor it, to open and close valves, etc.

Anyone know more about this?

Nacci's picture
Nacci
Re: Natural Gas Generator

Steve, I believe it makes perfect sense and is a wise move.  I just finished installing a 17KW Generac .  I went with propane because I do not have natural gas but the Generac  Guardian series will run on both propane or natural gas.  Two 100 gal. propane tanks placed in series provide four days of continuous power at full load.  I would look into hooking it up to both your towns natural gas as well as your own propane tanks.  Each line could come into a T fitting with independent shut offs.  This way if your supply of Natural gas were to stop you could easily switch your Generac to propane then switch lines. JY.

docmims's picture
docmims
Nacci wrote:

Steve, I believe it makes perfect sense and is a wise move.  I just finished installing a 17KW Generac .  I went with propane because I do not have natural gas but the Generac  Guardian series will run on both propane or natural gas.  Two 100 gal. propane tanks placed in series provide four days of continuous power at full load.  I would look into hooking it up to both your towns natural gas as well as your own propane tanks.  Each line could come into a T fitting with independent shut offs.  This way if your supply of Natural gas were to stop you could easily switch your Generac to propane then switch lines. JY.

Nice idea.  Thanks

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

Why do the propane take so much fuel  ?  $42 a day vs. $30 a day for gas generator.  Just wondering . 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments