National Solar Tour

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
joemanc's picture
joemanc
National Solar Tour

For anyone who is interested, there is a National Solar Tour next Saturday October 3rd, throughout the U.S. See link below to find a location near you. The event was in the local paper this morning. Brief little snippet on what the event is about:

Quote:

The ASES National Solar Tour is the world's largest grassroots solar event. This event offers you the opportunity to tour homes and buildings to see how you can use solar energy, energy efficiency, and other sustainable technologies to reduce monthly utility bills and help tackle climate change. More than 150,000 participants will visit some 5,000 buildings in 3,000 communities across the U.S.

http://ases.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=158&Itemid=16

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Re: National Solar Tour

Thanks Joe -

There is a tour right here in VA Beach - looks like Saturday is occupied.  I'll let you know how it goes.

SteveS's picture
SteveS
and the Solar Decathlon

We have one up in the DC area. Worth doing a least a couple of homes. You will see some interesting stuff and meet even more interesting people.

In Oct , on the DC Mall,  DOE (yes, a good government program!) will host the Solar Decathlon where college and universities compete to build and run energy efficient solar homes. Really good stuff, but it gets crowded on weekends:

http://www.solardecathlon.org/about.cfm

Take your mind off finances, bailouts, and such - go get some good sustainablity ideas!

joemanc's picture
joemanc
Re: National Solar Tour

I went to a solar powered house on the tour today, and the home owner who now works for the same solar installation company that installed her system told me they have a Solar Panel leasing program. You pay nothing down. The lease is for 15 years. Instead of paying say a bank loan on the solar panels, you pay the company a fixed monthly amount that would be your normal electricity use. I know their is income limits to doing a lease. I don't know all of the details and I will look into this some more. But this sounds like it could be a great idea.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments