Last post
ao's picture
ao
A must have for advanced prepper

I'm getting one of these.

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
Yeah, but I wonder how much

Yeah, but I wonder how much these machines cost, let alone a "print out"?

rhare's picture
rhare
DIY 3D Printing..
Damnthematrix wrote:

Yeah, but I wonder how much these machines cost, let alone a "print out"?

$25,000+  A multi-color printer like that shown in the video runs around $50k from what I've read.  There are different types, some use power and resins, some use liquids that harden under laser light.  Commercial, high strength versions are expensive, however, there are cheaper options:

Makerbot DIY 3D pinter for $1225

There are several "open source" type projects.  I ran across these at several of the Maker Faires over the years. I have no idea how these are progressing.

Rep Rap - Self Replicating DIY printer at home

Personal Fabricator Project

DIY Makerbot style 3D printer for $250

It will be interesting to see whats at CES next January, since the 3D printing has been a promised cheap technology for quite a while now.

SailAway's picture
SailAway
Hard to believe...

It's hard to believe the video... How could you get 40um accuracy with a hand scanner? How could it replicate the hidden moving parts without scanning each individual pieces?

ao's picture
ao
SailAway wrote: It's hard to
SailAway wrote:

It's hard to believe the video... How could you get 40um accuracy with a hand scanner? How could it replicate the hidden moving parts without scanning each individual pieces?

That's what I find mind blowing.  I have a fairly good grasp of things technical but I feel like a Neanderthal when I try to understand how this process can be successfully executed.

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
Brilliant

I would use it to make really expensive toothpicks.

JAG's picture
JAG
Don't show this to Bernanke,

Don't show this to Bernanke, or he'll be printing "thin-air" gold coinsSealed

Travlin's picture
Travlin
Good one JAG

That's a good one JAG.  Of course, we all know it wouldn't be a problem for you since you'd never own gold anyway!  Wink

Travlin 

back.to.basics's picture
back.to.basics
3D Printer

I am an Architect and we have a 3D printer in our office.  Attached is a photo of a model we model for the interior of a church.  We were trying to get the ceiling framing right.  Anyway, you guys gave me some ideas as to other uses for this thing.  However, I will need to convert it into a an AutoCAD 3D model.

thanks,

Lindell

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
just thought this was appropriate... LOL!

3D Printer

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
what next.......

3-D Printer: Your Next Home Accessory

http://www.miiu.org/wiki/3D_Printing

A 3D printer that makes edible food
Because it's an academic project, the 3D food printer isn't yet commercially available. The [email protected] project has the blueprints for free online, and
dedicated hobbyists can use them to build their own. One retailer, next fabstore.com, offers an assembled version for sale starting at a mere $3,300.

Essential Dynamics is working on a version that can be sold to pastry chefs and tech early adopters. The technology could become a household staple within a decade.

Doug's picture
Doug
Damnthematrix wrote: 3-D
Damnthematrix wrote:

3-D Printer: Your Next Home Accessory

http://www.miiu.org/wiki/3D_Printing

A 3D printer that makes edible food
Because it's an academic project, the 3D food printer isn't yet commercially available. The [email protected] project has the blueprints for free online, and
dedicated hobbyists can use them to build their own. One retailer, next fabstore.com, offers an assembled version for sale starting at a mere $3,300.

Essential Dynamics is working on a version that can be sold to pastry chefs and tech early adopters. The technology could become a household staple within a decade.

As I understand it, you have to feed the machine "raw food" material for it to actually produce food.  In other words, a very expensive way of processing existing food.  I don't think it will solve any hunger problems.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/01/24/technology/3D_food_printer/index.htm?iid=EL

Quote:

Users load up the printer's syringes with raw food -- anything with a liquid consistency, like soft chocolate, will work.

Doug

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
what next.......
Doug wrote:

As I understand it, you have to feed the machine "raw food" material for it to actually produce food.  In other words, a very expensive way of processing existing food.  I don't think it will solve any hunger problems.

Doug

I wasn't in any way suggesting this would solve anything.....  I was merely wondering what on Earth they would think of next to do with hi-tech wizzardry.

Mike

Ken C's picture
Ken C
Hidden moving parts?????

I am pretty impressed but I too wonder how they can replicate hidden moving parts. Hmmm....... I sure would like to know how it is done.

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
Ken C wrote: I am pretty
Ken C wrote:

I am pretty impressed but I too wonder how they can replicate hidden moving parts. Hmmm....... I sure would like to know how it is done.

It's no big deal they have been doing this at Hogwarts for a really long time.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments