Move To South America?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
CalvinCarpenter's picture
CalvinCarpenter
Move To South America?

Im looking for advice!

Ok so I have watched the Crash Course and done some more research and im starting to freak out!

Do you think it would be better to Sell my house located in the suburbs compleatly reliant on oil and JIT supplies, aand Fly to Paraguay or Argetina and buy some cheap developed land down their where I can become Sustainable?

Or Should I work on storing food, building defences and setting in for the long haul in my suburban home?

Any adivce or thoughts? Am i Just crazy?

Travlin's picture
Travlin
Re: Move To South America?

Calvin

Welcome to the site.  It is not good to make decisions of this importance while you are in the initial shock of the Crash Course.  In a few weeks you will gain a better perspective and make better choices.  For example: why move to South America to be sustainable?  You can do that in the US where you know how things work and avoid a lot of additional problems.  However, you do need to take your new knowledge seriously and start to consider options so you can make a good plan for actions.  There's lots of good info availalbe here to study.

Telling us more about your situation will help.  Your age, are you married, children and their ages, general area where you live, other family, job, savings/debts, etc,. are critical factors.

Travlin 

Brainless's picture
Brainless

I am moving to Thailand next month. Not permanent yet because still need to get things in order in my own country.

I have about 11.000 sqm with coconut and some mango, will plant more starting next year. The land is big enough to support more people and in a country like Thailand food and water is in abundance. No need for heating too. :)

If you would like to know more i am willing to share knowledge (lived on and off in Thailand for the last 10 years).

CalvinCarpenter

Thanks guys,

I have about $15,000 Canadian and I live in Ontario, No Wife No Kids,

I basiclly want to find a spot I can buy enough land to make some sort of self sufficent farm, renewable energy, and my own food/water sources, the reason I mention Argetina is because im thinkin my buying power with 15,000 their might actully get this done, well here at home in canada i would be lucky to get my renewable energy setup for that, let alone land cost.

any advice?

ao's picture
ao

$15,000 won't get you far there (any almost any other place for that matter) and the big land grab has already occurred.  I'd stay where you are and try to connect with some like minded people.

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

Calvin,

Ferfal has lived in Argentina his whole life and blogs about the horrible environment. He is moving to the U.S. I'd read everything here:

http://ferfal.blogspot.com/

SG

nickbert's picture
nickbert

Calvin,

Like Travlin said, there's no need to rush to a decision.  And don't think that you HAVE to move out of the US... you may discover that living in another country may end up being right for you in the long run, but you need to take some time to analyze your situation and your potential options first.  Many foreign nations may end up faring far worse than the US; for example, some nations may be better prepared to cope with Peak Oil, but are very ill-prepared for economic turmoil ahead or suffer environmental difficulties, both of which can be just as dangerous or damaging.  You've got some time to do some homework and more research.  In the meantime, the best thing to do is focus on smaller steps you can take to address more immediate financial and emergency preparedness concerns.  An excellent place to start is to take the Self-Assessment at the link below:

http://www.peakprosperity.com/act

Once you've done that, go ahead and read the "What Should I Do?" series of articles at the link below:

http://www.peakprosperity.com/page/what-should-i-do

And this link is a great place for focusing on your financial situation:

http://www.peakprosperity.com/taking_control

Hope that helps...

- Nickbert

CalvinCarpenter

I have done the self assestment, Water/Food And Secruity are all compleatly out of my control here. this is why I belive i need to drasticlly change my situation. 

Also i have read their are acres of land for sale at 200$US  on that logic I could buy 10 Acres and start a Farm couldnt I?

The part that scares me the most is not having acess to any fresh water food or heat in my current situation.....without local power supplies i would die.

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr

Hey Calvin-

Welcome, and deep breaths, bud!  Travlin is right; best not to make big decisions right away, while you are going through initial shock.  But that doesn't prevent you from starting to do some research and analysis on potential options. 

- What are the problems with your current situation (e.g., dangerously cold climate?)?  => This tells you some of the criteria your new situation has to meet.

- What other key criteria does your desired situation need to meet (e.g., good land for growing food, water source, like-minded people, etc.)? => This rounds out your baseline list of criteria.  You can evolve this list over time, as you learn more, and identify other important crieteria for making you decision). No easy answers here,

- ID what criteria are Top Priority Criteria (e.g., good land for growing food, living near a water source);

- Given your criteria, start brainstorming places that could meet your criteria (e.g., where you live now, Argentina, places with more moderate climates in Canada (?), etc.);

- Once you have some places, assess their strengths and weaknesses against your criteria. Maybe a table with places labeling the rows,  and criteria labeling the columns (and with Top Criteria marked some other color to stand out).  

- Now see what you start to see, and start working through the process.  Your list of places will change/grow, and you will start to learn what keythings to look for.  You'll also learn more and more about what criteria matter to you.  This isn't easy, because some criteria that are Top Priority for some people won't matter to others (e.g., some people will want to be far far away from any people for security reasons; others think that is unnecessary (overboard); others think that is MORE risky.  So you have to figure out/feel out your own criteria for yourself.

At least this will give you something to do while you are in the initial stages of becoming aware of what's going on.  Then, after you've had some time to get used to it, you will also have gone through some useful thinking.

Just throwing the idea out there in hopes it can help, maybe give you something to run with for now!

best,

pinecarr

SteveW's picture
SteveW

Calvin, like the other guys here said you need to take a breather and gather yourself before you make any serious decisions. What has not already been said is that you can't simply get a piece of land and start farming without the necessary skills. You need to assess your skills and think about life in a more agrarian community and how you would fit into such a lifestyle. Maybe you're a carpenter or maybe have some other useful skill or could easily develop one based upon your interests/hobbies.

I live in BC but have some knowledge of Ontario. I believe the Province is, or could be, self sufficient for food and has good water supplies. The cold winters are an issue but if you stay there you need to think about things like a wood stove and wood lots. Think about how the pioneers managed, canoes for transportation etc. Look around the site here and do some searches, there is a great deal of information from some very knowledgeable folks.

No-one knows how the collapse will play out, whether it will be sudden and dramatic or whether it will be a prolonged, gradual degradation of our complex society to a simpler one. Now you have the knowledge though you can continue with your life as it is and plan how you can prepare yourself and make life choices for however it plays out.

CalvinCarpenter

Thank you Pincarr and Steve, I have had some time to breeth and evaluate some issues. Well the original terror of the situation has only partially worn off I feel that it would be impossible to continue my lifestyle the way it is, and on both of you advice i decided to lookup alternatives to Argetina some further others right here at home, and Im glad to say that Canada did eventually win that evaluation. I will now be further developing my Strategy and SWOT analysis on permaculture (forest gardeing) here in ontario. thank you everyone for your advice and supourt! any further advice on buying land in ontario, gardeing within Zone 4+ (plant hardiness zones), investing in silver and sustainable power options and suppliers would be awesome!!

Depnomore's picture
Depnomore
Moving out of Canada/US to???

I'm new to this site, plz be patient with me, lol!

Okay, peeps. I've been keeping a watch on the US govt.  After panicking several times then calming down, I believe we may leave this country. 

I need ideas as to where. Nothing good will come of staying here, I've seen what happened in New Orleans in the dry neighborhoods where there was no trouble. Both parents are on SS, I'm a functional disabled person, no children, just our two dogs.

we are simple hard working ppl from rural America, and don't expect to live like royalty. We just need a place to go to let my parents live out their lives in dignity, not in a det. Camp, or cowering worrying about why the authorities are busting down their doors.

dont discourage me, just give me your best thoughts, plz. If you know a better place I should post this, let me know.

Thanks for your time.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments