the Most important free speech issue of our time!

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
investorzzo's picture
investorzzo
the Most important free speech issue of our time!

Here's what's most troubling of all. Chairman Genachowski and President Obama -- who nominated him -- have argued convincingly that they support net neutrality.

But grassroots supporters of net neutrality are beginning to wonder if we've been had. Instead of proposing regulations that would truly protect net neutrality, reports indicate that Chairman Genachowski has been calling the CEOs of major Internet corporations seeking their public endorsement of this draft proposal, which would destroy it.

No chairman should be soliciting sign-off from the corporations that his agency is supposed to regulate -- and no true advocate of a free and open Internet should be seeking the permission of large media conglomerates before issuing new rules.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/al-franken/the-most-important-free-s_b_798...

investorzzo's picture
investorzzo
Re: the Most important free speech issue of our time!

Sorry, I think this is the updated version.

FCC Blesses Comcast Merger and New Era of Media Monopoly

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-torres/fcc-blesses-comcast-merge_b_810...

Doug's picture
Doug

Investorzzo

You're no doubt right that net neutrality is a huge issue going forward.  It is an issue that I've tried to avoid just because my brain is already too cluttered. Yell

But, I would suggest that our greatest free speech issue derives from two Supreme Court decision:  Buckley v. Vallejo (1976) that equated money with speech, thereby opening the floodgates for political money/speech.  Second, last year's Citizen's United decision that equated corporations with individuals.

The sum of these two decisions is that, for purposes of 1st Amendment free speech rights, we cannot restrict money spent on campaigns and that right, written to protect individuals, now applies to corporations.  The firehose is wide open and blasting huge amounts of anonymous corporate money into the political process.  We have already seen the destructive effects of this money.  The marriage of the international corporate world to our government is complete.  The political process has become a mockery of the ideal of democracy.  All accountability, except to the corporation, is gone.

Who's our daddy now?

Doug

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments