More water as a cure for drowning

1 post / 0 new
ezlxq1949's picture
ezlxq1949
More water as a cure for drowning

Here we go again, yet another free trade deal:

APEC leaders agree on trade deal outline

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-13/agreement-reached-on-free-trade-pact/3663284

Snippets:

The pact sets out to eliminate all tariffs and introduce new uniform labour and intellectual property standards across the Asia-Pacific. The leaders aim to finalise the deal next year.

"With nearly 500 million consumers between us, there is so much more we can do together," Mr Obama said after the meeting of TPP leaders, ahead of the official APEC summit. "Together we can boost exports and create more goods available for our consumers, create new jobs and compete and win in future markets. I'm confident we can get this done."

The pact is a centrepiece of the Obama administration's project of cementing America's role in the Asia-Pacific region, which it believes could secure the country's economic future.

The nine countries involved are Australia, Brunei, Chile, Malaysia, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, the United States and Vietnam. They account for one-quarter of the world's Gross Domestic Product.

Splendid thinking, isn't it: trade expansion hasn't saved us yet, the growth machine is running out of the resources crucial to its succesful functioning, the world's financial system is teetering on the brink of collapse, so let's repeat the experiment yet again.

By the way, don't you like the emphasis in the report: the deal could save the USA's economic future. I see: the other eight countries get to help save the US and somehow benefit from the deal themselves. That would be nice.

And while I'm griping, why don't the 1% simply declare the entire planet to be one enormous free trade area and be done with it? Then we can run the final experiment in utter earnest!

Login or Register to post comments