More scaremongering from DHS

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
mainecooncat's picture
mainecooncat
More scaremongering from DHS

Just in time for the holidays, the Department of Homeland Security is issuing a fresh "terror warning" for NYC subways. Seems like terror warnings primarily act as distractions to pull people's minds and efforts away from the real terror at hand: the economic and energy crises, and the more-naked-than-ever corruption of the US government.

Here's Reuters take on it: http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSTRE4AP5U220081126

The most hilarious part of the article is a partial quote from DHS spokesperson Russ Knocke (great name by the way) who says that the warning was based upon "plausible but uncorroborated information."

I love it. Well, there's an abundance of hypotheticals that are plausible. Do we really need an official announcement from a government agency to tell the American people that an attack on NYC subways is "plausible"? An attack on a Tennessee bridge using plastic explosives planted by boat in February is plausible.

However, the real absurdity and tragedy of all this is that a life-devastating depression that will shock most Americans out of their stupor is far more plausible, and, of course, based upon the actual raw number of people it will actually adversely effect, far more worthy of our concern.

"Terrorism" has been and still remains the oldest trick in the fascist playbook.

TruthSpeak's picture
TruthSpeak
Re: More scaremongering from DHS

Has anyone noticed the increased amount of government surveillance cameras with a whole bunch of sensors along highways? I live in Florida and in the past 3-5 years they have sprouted up everywhere. and I mean EVERYWHERE.

mainecooncat's picture
mainecooncat

On interstate 95 in northern Maine the state/feds have set up what appears to be some kind of terrorism checkpoint. It's a rest stop-type looking area with a couple of buildings that are adjacent to an overhanging traffic signal structure that has a gate that's capable of blocking the road. I went through it returning from a hiking trip to Baxter state park in the northern part of the state. State police were freely walking around on the road with two assigned to each lane on the highway itself to deal with individual cars as they came through. As we approached the checkpoint we could see that some cars were being directed to pull over into the roadside checkpoint. We were asked a couple of questions, IDs were asked for and checked, and the back of our van was briefly inspected visually but no rummaging through bags, compartments, etc.

TruthSpeak's picture
TruthSpeak

Hmmm... That is weird and an ABSOULUT waste of money.

mainecooncat's picture
mainecooncat

Just some further details on that, TruthSpeak. Combing the news later that evening I did come across a story that authorities were looking for someone coming through the border up there. Forget what it was for, but it wasn't terror related. The weirdest thing for myself and the group I was with was that the checkpoint was new. It's a route we take a lot to get to the park, so we were surprised to see this thing erected since we had last been there. Even more surprising was the fact that this new checkpoint was operational and we were heading into it! No turning around on the interstate.  

ckessel's picture
ckessel
mainecooncat wrote:

Just in time for the holidays, the Department of Homeland Security is issuing a fresh "terror warning" for NYC subways. Seems like terror warnings primarily act as distractions to pull people's minds and efforts away from the real terror at hand: the economic and energy crises, and the more-naked-than-ever corruption of the US government.

Mainecooncat,

I couldn't agree more. The "bait and switch" routine of keep the publics attention rivited on crisis (not the real one) and then offer up new legislation to keep them safe (and strip them of constitional liberties) seems to be a steady diet these days.

Behind the scenes the  big money ownership of the media has an unrelenting agenda. Notice that that the Mumbai attacks made the news but the Iceland economic crisis did not.  Were it not for the impacts on the lives of millions I think I would cheer on the coming debacle if only to see the day that big business and big government as usual would be done and gone forever.

And the "plausible but uncorroberated information" is nearly all they have to offer. I dare to say they can leave off that reference as it is a self evident truth.  Why not just tell us when they actually have a fact to report .... as rare as it would be would save on print space!

krogoth's picture
krogoth

Stop buying the products on the commercials that the news channels so greatly depend on to spew and distort company agendas. Don't watch the shows on the networks that spew this garbage or divert you away from all the news, not just what they want you to see. Don't support them in any way.

I am watching BBC Worldwide, and they seem to be all over all the news, all the news, even stuff I had no clue was going on. I think I will support products on commercials for the BBC that I can. You can watch BBC news on the internet for free if you don't get it on your cable TV.  

Make sense to you?

ckessel's picture
ckessel

Definately. I'll check out the BBC on the internet.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments