monsanto-seeds-farm-roundup

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Luc's picture
Luc
monsanto-seeds-farm-roundup

I am just about to buy a crop farm.  The person selling the farm used genetically modified grains from a Monsanto subsidiary.  He also used round-up.  Can I change to another seed provider and not be harassed by  Monsanto.  Also, what are the effect of round-up on the earth over which it has been sprayed.  Would I have problems growing other types of seeds.

Does anybody know about this topic and could provide me with some information.

Thank you

Luke

ao's picture
ao
Re: monsanto-seeds-farm-roundup

I don't know much about this except for what I've read in the blogs but from what I have gathered about Monsanto in the past year, their compliance/enforcement methodology, etc., I would be very, very careful.  You might want to talk to an attorney versed in the subject.  Personally, I wouldn't buy such a farm (and I'm presently looking for farmland). 

ao's picture
ao

Did a quick search and came up with this as a starting point.

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Goliath_and_David:_Monsanto's_Legal_Battles_against_Farmers

bbobwat33's picture
bbobwat33

members of my family have farmed for, well, there entire lives. my uncle sharecropped 1400 acre farm for 42 years until owner decided to sell 5 years ago. i worked for him for 2 years. his son currently runs a another farm in the area. my uncle currently works for an agro. business company blending fertilizer, seed, doing soil samples etc. i talk to them quite often about farming and from what i've gathered it's almost impossible to farm and not buy monsanto products. the reasons for that vary. they constantly modify the seeds products promising greater yields than previous products which is ligit. and every new seed program comes with a new chemical program that only works with that seed. evolution of this goes like: roundup, roundup II, roundup ready, roundup ready, roundup rewards. etc.. so you can switch to another manufacturer but yields won't be as good and more than likely you'll still using some derivative of monsanto technology. that's my understanding. 

ejanea's picture
ejanea

@Luc   I would get in touch with Percy Schmeiser (Canadian farmer)  who knows more about monsanto and how to deal with these issues than anyone else that I've heard of.

I agree with ao,  I would be very very careful.

Jane

PS  Google Percy Schmeiser and "Deconstructing Dinner"  for more info.  Schmeiser was here in Australia last year and his revelations were very interesting.

cowgap's picture
cowgap

Luc,  I have been farming for the past 36 years.  If you are going to buy seeds to plant a crop, you will buy them from a seed dealer, probably a local dealer.  You will not buy directly from a major seed company. The dealer probably sells seed from dozens  of seed companies, with Monsanto probably being one of them.   If for any reason, you don't want to plant seeds developed by Monsanto, then don't .  Monsanto would not hassle you for not planting Monsanto seeds, just like Kraft would not hassle you for using Hellmann's Mayonnaise.   The choce is yours.  As far as any effects on the earth or subsequent crops where Roundup has been sprayed in the past, there are none.  

Mike

ao's picture
ao
cowgap wrote:

As far as any effects on the earth or subsequent crops where Roundup has been sprayed in the past, there are none.  

Hmm ... these folks have a different opinion.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/monsanto/roundup.cfm

After over 30 years in the health field, I have never found one single chemical synthesized by man and not found in nature that didn't have some kind of toxic effect on human cells.  Ask yourself, if it is totally non-toxic, would you be willing to mix a tablespoon of it into your food everyday?

Interestingly enough, I had a professor who, every year, would actually eat a tablespoon of DDT in front of a class to show them how safe it was.  He was wrong but it made for great drama.;-)

EndGamePlayer's picture
EndGamePlayer

That sounds like good advice and I'd add taking some time to watch David Blume's DVD "Alcohol Can Be A GAS" in which he elequently takes care of a few issues via the Brazilian model of energy production.

And for those who poo-poo American ethanol production, hold off on forming your opinion of David's methodology until after you see what he is doing. When I saw it - I was blown away, got light headed and it wasn't from the alcohol content.

The Brazilian model

• helps clean up the environment,
  • increases ethanol production (possibly by 80%) without taking any food from people or animals,
  • reduces farm field work and costs (so it increases the farmer's bottom line) PLUS 
  • creates jobs.

Enjoy!

EndGamePlayer's picture
EndGamePlayer

Ha - ironic - Monsanto made DDT before they changed their name to Monsanto.

And, just a side note for the record - When you buy seed from a "seed dealer", chances are, unless that seed dealer is harvesting their OWN seed, you have bought Monsanto seed (they own most of the seed producing companies). And another side note- has anyone wondered how poppies got to be Round-Up ready?

Sooo Much to ponder.

TCG's picture
TCG

Luke,

No, glyphosate (Roundup) sprayed previously will not pose any problem.  If you want to ask questions and get information from actual farmers, try this forum:

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=3

It consists of actual farmers who can answer your questions.

Hope this helps.

loriscott's picture
loriscott

Disregarding your monsanto dilemma, what you are buying there is a farm where roundup will no longer work on the weeds.

This super weed effect is well documented in all countries where there has been extensive farming using roundup ready crops.  The weeds begin to develop a resistance to roundup.  Monsanto knows this and is developing and selling something they call a "tank mixture" or "pump mixture" which is supposed to kill resistant weeds but cannot be sprayed over roundup ready crops.  So you're back to spot weeding with something that I can't find info on what they are putting into it but it is probably something like 2-4-D or 2-4-5-T.

So your ability to crop conventionally depends on how you think you will control weeds.  Wouldn't surprise me if this land is for sale because the farmer has found he can't spray for weeds anymore.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments