Mish: Where's the Outrage?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
switters's picture
switters
Mish: Where's the Outrage?

Great post by Mish this morning.  Full post here.

Where's The Outrage?

I don't know about you, but I am outraged.

I am outraged and not just about Goldman Sachs, but about a process that allows, even encourages political pandering, by time and time again rewarding leveraged riverboat gamblers and failed institutions and at taxpayer expense.

I am outraged that real people are suffering massively while the influence peddlers have stolen the country for their own personal benefit.

I am outraged at a political system that is totally unresponsive to the American people.

I am outraged by campaign contribution and lobbying processes that allows corporations to buy votes with donations.

I am outraged how legislators ignored the wishes of the people who clearly did not want these bailouts in the first place.

I am outraged that very little of this is in mainstream media. Why is this stuff not on the frontpage of every newspaper in the country or at least in the editorial pages?

I am outraged that the average US citizen is not aware of any of this, instead depending on CNBC, or "The View" for their interpretation of the world.

I am outraged how special interest groups have exercised their power to monopolize the economy for the benefit of themselves, US citizens be damned.

I am outraged that all these bailout programs are doing nothing to alleviate the massive consumer debt problems. Every program, virtually every program was designed to bailout lending institutions, not consumers.

I am outraged at fees charged by banks receiving bailouts.

I am outraged over government pension plans and government pay scales massively out of line with the private sector.

I am outraged that Congress and this administration thinks the solution to massive budget deficits are still higher budget deficits in excess of a trillion dollars.

I am outraged about indictments. Paulson Admitted Coercion to force a shotgun wedding between Bank of America and Merrill Lynch yet no indictments were handed out. Let the Criminal Indictments Begin: Paulson, Bernanke, Lewis.

I am outraged that US citizens are not concerned enough and not educated enough to demand change.

I am outraged that the two party system has failed. Neither party has delivered meaningful change on budgets, on taxes, on social security, on deficit spending, on the size of government, on military spending, or fighting needless wars.

I am outraged that the Obama Administration promised changed and did not deliver. "Yes We Can" was a lie. The reality is "It's Business As Usual, Only Worse, With Higher Deficits".

I am outraged there is not enough outrage over this.

Where the hell is the outrage?

TheRemnant's picture
TheRemnant
Re: Mish: Where's the Outrage?

Indeed.  Where is the outrage.  Can we vote our way out of it?:

Cheers.

switters's picture
switters

Yep, that's exactly where it's gone.

docmims's picture
docmims

Most people don't understand what's going on, and when i get a CM article on my computer at work to better show the data and a more understandable take on what I'm saying; their eyes sort of just gloss over and the walk away.  I'm not sure they are capable of understanding.  As a matter of fact the system is sustained precisely because 90 percent of the population really couldn't understand Chris' articles even if they read them slowly a few times(even though chris is the most plain spoken and understandable writer that i have come across on this subject).

nickbert's picture
nickbert
docmims wrote:

Most people don't understand what's going on, and when i get a CM article on my computer at work to better show the data and a more understandable take on what I'm saying; their eyes sort of just gloss over and the walk away.  I'm not sure they are capable of understanding.  As a matter of fact the system is sustained precisely because 90 percent of the population really couldn't understand Chris' articles even if they read them slowly a few times(even though chris is the most plain spoken and understandable writer that i have come across on this subject).

I don't know about that.... I think most people are ABLE to understand.  I think for most though the problem is they semi-consciously or subconsciously desire to avoid that information because it conflicts with their current view of the world.  Most of my friends are rather intelligent (skilled computer nerds almost each and every one Laughing), but some did the exact same thing you describe, they 'shut down' in one way or another.  Best that I can figure, most people won't try as hard to comprehend a piece of information that is contrary to the way they want or expect things to be, than if the information agreed with their views.  Add to that a large percentage of the population that prefers knowledge to be given to them (via conveniently brief and summarized articles/reports or maybe soundbytes from their TV/radio pundit of choice) rather than earned, and it's no wonder people shut down when presented with information they have to make effort to understand and already may be biased against.   So I'd think of it more as intellectual laziness than intellectual incompetence... they CAN understand (as you say Chris presents the information in a plainly spoken and uncomplicated way), but just choose not to.  Unfortunately either way they will be in pretty much the same boat, being smart and choosing to be ignorant won't make you much better off than those who are ignorant but come by it honestly Tongue out

- Nickbert

cipher's picture
cipher

I agree with nickbert, I try to talk with some people about why things might get worse, but they would just say that they don't think all this could be true, some of them believe that if market is not showing signs of panic then nothing is wrong, they are firm believer in market forces. !

Some people actually agree with what I say but believe that things will just "work out themselves" as they always have.

I am not very good with retaining the facts and numbers, and so I often fail to reproduce them there and then, and when I send out the links to them, they would never take the time to look at it. 

After being told to "have faith" , and that "market has to bottom out somewhere, and it cannot be worse"  several times , I tend to keep mum now. SmileI definitely know that people around me are far far far more intelligent than I am, the problem is that they do not trust the information enough to devote their time , they are , in a way , blinded by what they read in mainsteam media everyday....... I guess their behaviour can best be attributed to our ....... monkey instincts, if no-one is panicking, why should we. (for that matter, even prepare for the impending..)

earthwise's picture
earthwise

Forgive them. It's not that folks cant' understand. It's shortsightedness and procrastination, kind of like Scarlet O'Hara: "I'll worry about that tommorrow". It's also more like a mental block that they can't consider that something like what's coming could even happen, so why waste time on those paranoid, conspiracy theorizing, prophets of doom. "The USA broke. Come on, we're the richest country in the world. That stuff ain't never gonna happen." I have more than once explained these things, in great detail, to intelligent people who didn't dispute my contentions (well supported and documented) that the economy was in a shambles and headed for a fall, only to watch them move on in their life as if they had never heard this stuff. There is also an element of denial. "That can't happen here, to us. We're America, the lone superpower, the economic powerhouse of the world. This is just another business cycle."  To acknowledge the circumstances would therefore require one to step out, far out, of ones's comfort zone. It's easier to just ignore it and it will go away. Besides, "I have to get to work on time right now" or some other "pressing" matter.

In all honesty, I sometimes can't believe it myself. I took the 'red pill' last year and have immersed myself in a crash course of economics (including the "Crash Course", obviously) and I still sometimes find myself doubting; "can all this really be true?". Or "In ten years I'll look back at this and laugh at how alarmist all that collapsitarian stuff was." Then I go back and re-read the facts, real facts, and I'm faced with the temptation to take the blue pill; but I have to face reality.

So go easy on the sheeple out there. Wasn't to long ago I was one. Besides, one more economic shock and more and more of them will wake up. I hope for everyone's sake it's not to late.

agitating prop's picture
agitating prop

If you read day to day accounts of the Nazi occupation of France during the second world war, things fall into place. Complacency and acquiescence are perfectly normal and natural in a population that has a largely over 30 demographic.  The French resistence would not, could not, recruit anyone over 30. By that age, people become pragmatic, they have kids, jobs--they lose their anger, their edge. They just want a nice bowl of warm oatmeal and a pat on the head.

the navigator's picture
the navigator

It's television...commercial television numbs the mind and kills the soul.

So long as your favorite tv show is on when it's supposed to be on...then everything's ok, right?

docmims's picture
docmims

Thanks for the comments.  You guys are probably right.  People just naturally avoid information that conflicts with their belief systems. I will continue to attempt to get folks clued in.  I present things as a slow spiral over the next 5 to 10 years.  I am not a fringe EOTWAWKI kind of guy, but people don't even want to deal with that much lest get emotionally outraged.Frown

ltlredwagon's picture
ltlredwagon

My 2 cents:

1.  Real evil of a type that destroys populations is rare and extremely difficult to confront.  It doesn't have horns or fangs or red eyes or black/white hooded cloaks.  It's not the KKK or Charlie Manson.  It arrives with the "best of intentions", polite, well-spoken, articulate.  It is "unbelievable" and "can't be happening".  If you're around a person like this you start spinning, and can't figure out why. You don't see it coming – jeepers, yeah, hmmm, well, I guess that "makes sense".  Ingeniously insidious.  I think this accounts for some of "things can't be that bad", "it will work out", etc.

2.  The world of pre-packaged entertainment (TV, video games, internet play, etc.) is a factor.  Not the content, but the non-stop celebration of "virtual reality".  Just sit in a chair and you can "experience" all the thrills and adventure of the world.  Problem is, it's a gravity planet.   People's sanity is utterly dependent and proportional to their ability to exert effort.  Any teacher can tell you about the "TV kids" who find it agonizingly hard to get up out of their chairs and go over to the bookshelf and find a book to read.   Zombies at 6 years old.

3.  People are upset and confused and struggling, working their asses off if they have jobs.  Many into "survival" mode - to heck with trying to defeat the monster - let's just figure out the best way hunker down and wait until it leaves.  They're not stupid, or cowardly, it's just really hard to get their full attention. Their whole lives and their education and the nightly news has proved to them that economics is an extremely complicated thing.  No way for them to understand it, they just check if their "guy" thinks it's good or bad - Limbaugh, Hartmann, Obama, Wall Street Journal, NY Times, whatever.  I think the only way to overcome the dispersal and confusion in their lives is to find ONE extremely simple objective and message, ONE chink in the enemy's armor that, if campaigned on relentlessly with all resources focused, will begin to turn the tide, hence, my "Bucket of Sand" post earlier. 

agitating prop's picture
agitating prop
ltlredwagon wrote:

My 2 cents:

1.  Real evil of a type that destroys populations is rare and extremely difficult to confront.  It doesn't have horns or fangs or red eyes or black/white hooded cloaks.  It's not the KKK or Charlie Manson.  It arrives with the "best of intentions", polite, well-spoken, articulate.  It is "unbelievable" and "can't be happening".  If you're around a person like this you start spinning, and can't figure out why. You don't see it coming – jeepers, yeah, hmmm, well, I guess that "makes sense".  Ingeniously insidious.  I think this accounts for some of "things can't be that bad", "it will work out", etc.

EXCELLENT post. Thanks.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments