Michael C. Ruppert: Say My ****ing Name

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

I have read Michael C. Rupperts excellent and informative book Crossing The Rubicon [PDF] fully twice, regularly using it for reference upto the present. I have also supported - both in review and defence - his 2009 film Collapse [Link] here at this forum [Link], which raised strong discussion.

I can only hope that the film below will give further opportunity for strong discussion on this site, with those that view appreciating its importance, seeing sense to promote it through their Twitter and Facebook accounts : -

Importantly, thank you all for your continued support of www.PeakProsperity.com, a sharing community, committed to respectful and intelligent debate ...

~ VF ~

www.Collapsenet.com

Josey's picture
Josey
Full Blown Hissy Fit

I've tried to like Ruppert, I really have,  but he has more hissy fits and dramatic episodes than a 13 year old girl who's been denied tickets to a Justin Bieber concert. I worry about the guy sometimes because he seems mentally unstable and if this is how he behaves now then it's going to get really ugly when things get much worse. Hope he works it out.

jumblies's picture
jumblies
 I'd have to agree with

I'd have to agree with Josey on this. Ruppert's message has been a good one and some of us listen, but as the time draws near he seems to be getting increasingly over-emotional and I think it detracts from the message. I find the same of Gerald Celente too, great message but increasingly comes across as a nut. If Ruppert is asking the youth (those under 30) to not take to the streets and riot, to control their emotions and rage then he ought to try too.

Josey - do you have any Bieber tickets? I'd love to go. I'm his #1 fan.

xraymike79's picture
xraymike79
Good message soaked and

Good message soaked and drowned in self -agrandizement, name-dropping, and maudlin hippie values. I was expecting him to also say, "WHO'S YOUR DADDY!!!"

He's got a chemical imbalance in his brain and probably skips the meds at times; hence the dramatic and over-the-top highs.

I'd still have a beer with him.

ao's picture
ao
xraymike79 wrote: Good
xraymike79 wrote:

Good message soaked and drowned in self -agrandizement, name-dropping, and maudlin hippie values. I was expecting him to also say, "WHO'S YOUR DADDY!!!"

I couldn't have said it better.  It's sad that such a serious and vital message is diluted by a dousing of megalomania.

HarryFlashman's picture
HarryFlashman
Hhhhhmmmmmm......

Hate to agree with you all.Want so much to embrace his message,......but you're right,this is embarrassing.The guy has been right so often and yet he's an embarrassment if this video is anything to go by.

Sad because I like the guy,and I would have a beer with him too.

littlefeatfan's picture
littlefeatfan
He is Human

If he is right, and his track record is doing ok, why not get emotional? No one really listens to talking heads that don't show any emotion. He's just one guy stating his point of view, why would that be embarrissing to anyone? Why do we have to resort to name calling and labeling? We need more people speaking up, taking stands, calling out people, getting attention, and this actually inspired me to do this more. 

xraymike79's picture
xraymike79
littlefeatfan wrote:  If he
littlefeatfan wrote:

If he is right, and his track record is doing ok, why not get emotional? No one really listens to talking heads that don't show any emotion. He's just one guy stating his point of view, why would that be embarrissing to anyone? Why do we have to resort to name calling and labeling? We need more people speaking up, taking stands, calling out people, getting attention, and this actually inspired me to do this more. 

The message is a great one and 100% correct, but the way he delivered it overall was a bit strange and funny which weakened the powerful message. That's all we're saying.

The most important thing he said was about "Growth" and it being the enemy of future generations. We need to live in harmony with nature and not continuously destroy it for the sake of GDP.

ao's picture
ao
littlefeatfan wrote:  If he
littlefeatfan wrote:

It's not a matter of emotion or passion.  I see nothing wrong with that.  It's the self aggrandizemt and focus on Michael C. Ruppert, Michael C. Rupert, Michael C. Ruppert.  What's important, Michael C. Ruppert or the message?  His behavior detracts from the message.  His overwhelming need for personal validation and recognition virtually guarantees that those whom he wants to say his name will NOT say his name due to the embarassment of being associated with this type of behavior.  Also, his glorification of the 60s is overdone.  I lived through the 60s too and saw the 60s too and it was not pretty.  He has a fairly one-sided view of things related to that particular issue that belies reality.  His message is good but his behavior in this video truly suggests psychological issues and will tend to turn off the uninitiated.

Doug's picture
Doug
strident

I disagree a bit with the seeming consensus here that Ruppert has a great record of predictions.  He has gotten some right and I generally agree with his issues.  Where we part company is with his seemingly constant hyperventilating that the apocalyse has begun, head for the shelters.  One can take only so much of expecting immediate collapse before getting weary and wary of the message.  I belonged to his site for a while because of his map feature.  I've met more people locally because of that map than I have through the CM site.  A member locator feature here would be a terrific addition to the blog.

Doug

littleone's picture
littleone
Foreclosure of a Dream - Megadeth

I will say there have been many recent musicians who have told the truth...Can Ruppert say Megadeth?

Peace Sells...but Who's Buying?(Megadeth's 2nd studio album - 1986)

Countdown to Extinction(Megadeth's fifth studio album - 1992)

The System Has Failed(Megadeth's 10th studio album - 2004)

United Abominations(Megadeth's 11th studio album - 2007)

Endgame(Megadeth's 12th studio album - 2009)

-littleone

nickbert's picture
nickbert
ao wrote: littlefeatfan
ao wrote:
littlefeatfan wrote:

It's not a matter of emotion or passion.  I see nothing wrong with that.  It's the self aggrandizemt and focus on Michael C. Ruppert, Michael C. Rupert, Michael C. Ruppert.  What's important, Michael C. Ruppert or the message?  His behavior detracts from the message.  His overwhelming need for personal validation and recognition virtually guarantees that those whom he wants to say his name will NOT say his name due to the embarassment of being associated with this type of behavior.  Also, his glorification of the 60s is overdone.  I lived through the 60s too and saw the 60s too and it was not pretty.  He has a fairly one-sided view of things related to that particular issue that belies reality.  His message is good but his behavior in this video truly suggests psychological issues and will tend to turn off the uninitiated.

+1

After the first ten minutes, he was reminding me heavily of Dave Chappelle's popular Rick James skit.  Just substitute "Say my f****** name!" with  "I'm Rick James, bitch!!!" 

I don't know the man himself, but his delivery and rant comes off HEAVILY that he's fixated more on recognition than the message.  I happen to be double-jointed, and even I can't pat myself on the back as much as he did.  Which does he want more, to save the world or the acknowledgement of being known as the one who saved the world?  All that dilutes the good part of his message IMO.  Also his record of predictions is far from solid either... the best example I remember in 2010, he very specifically called for the ultimate 'Cliff Event' of economic & Peak Oil collapse occuring no later than summer of 2010.  Now there is no shame in being wrong, but there is in glossing over and refusing to acknowledge such mistakes (especially for a predicition he was so adamant about). 

I don't doubt that he is trying to do good and I can appreciate that on some level, but I simply don't see him as having enough credibility for me to take much of what he says at face value.  There are other people who do a better job of conveying the same general message of the unsustainability of the current status quo.

- Nickbert

Jim H's picture
Jim H
Ruppert...

AO said,

"It's not a matter of emotion or passion.  I see nothing wrong with that.  It's the self aggrandizemt and focus on Michael C. Ruppert, Michael C. Rupert, Michael C. Ruppert.  What's important, Michael C. Ruppert or the message?  His behavior detracts from the message."

and I agree... don't mind Celente at all .. I think his passion is well directed and I don't see him as self aggrandizing at all.  Ruppert was just over the top in this regard.  I did though like his point that those who preach "growth" are in fact not getting it.... though I wouldn't have quite demonized those who just don't get it the way Ruppert does.       

sofistek's picture
sofistek
Doug wrote: I disagree a bit

I disagree a bit with the seeming consensus here that Ruppert has a great record of predictions[/quoteAbsolutely, Doug. I've tried to pint that out on his site but he has a lot of devoted disciples there (just as Chris has here) and such thoughts are heresy. His gradual re-writing of his April "caveman" alert is worrying. He's now got his disciples believing that the alert simply said that the markets would plummet around the end of July/beginning of August. It did no such thing. I started to go through his alerts this year but stopped after the first few because there wasn't one that forecast anything accurately and I knew of later ones that were also off the mark. He's sometimes had the odd coincidence that has enabled him to come out with some kind of self congratulation and he harps on about some unnamed guy who went through his predictions a few years ago and came up with an 80% accuracy figure. This has never been verified and he truly believes it was, and remains, valid.

I like his analyses and his message of urgency but he needs to either quit the prediction business (except with vague timings) or start accepting his failings.

xraymike79's picture
xraymike79
Back to the Message

Have we yet reconsidered how to measure prosperity and well-being other than growth of GDP?

The MSM drips of yearnings, predictions, and plans to return to "GROWTH". Last year Earth Overshoot Day was calculated to be August 21st. Not sure what day it was this year, but with our addiction to perpetual growth, that day creeps days earlier each year. We're literally eating away at the foundation of our home in order to support and worship a completely fabricated and fraudulent entity called Wallstreet.

The powers of self-deception that the Human race exhibits are so powerful that a scientist has recently proposed a worldwide discussion concerning the reclassification[scientific name] of humanity. See scientific journal Nature (476, p282, 18 August 2011)

The case for re-naming the human race:
http://www.sciencealert.com.au/opinions/20111808-22515.html

<snip>...

"Our official sub-species name is Homo sapiens sapiens (‘wise wise man’), which now looks not only like conceit – but insecurity. Such a name sends a misleading signal about the capacity – let alone the will – of humanity, as a whole, to manage the consequences of its own actions. It invites us to overestimate our abilities and underestimate the difficulties we are creating.

This is not to deny or belittle any of the great, creative, artistic or scientific achievements of humans today or over the centuries, which are indeed wonderful. Rather it is to recognise that our present behaviours combined with our numbers now have the capacity to nullify or even eliminate all other human accomplishments.

A creature unable to master its own demands cannot be said to merit the descriptor ‘wise’. A creature which takes little account of the growing risks it runs through its behaviour can hardly be rated thoughtful. The provisions of the International Code on Zoological Nomenclature provide for the re-naming of species in cases where scientific understanding of the species changes, or where it is necessary to correct an earlier error. I argue that both those situations now apply."

...<snip>

Have you heard any talk in the MSM about the breachment of three of nine critical boundaries essential for humankind to survive on Earth. If there has been, it was probably in the denail category or that our superior intelligence would resolve the problem(s).

Now the really scary thing about this is that a couple of the boundaries have not yet even been quantified, one of which includes 'chemical pollution'. As was stated in the previously linked and footnoted article "The case for re-naming the human race":

We have manufactured around 83,000 synthetic chemicalsv, many of them toxic, and some of which we inhale, ingest in food or water or absorb through the skin every day of our lives. A 2005 US study found newborn babies in that country are typically contaminated by around 200 industrial chemicals, including pesticides, dioxins and flame retardantsvi . An EU study (2010) found compelling evidence that even harmless chemicals can recombine with one another to form poisonsvii.   These chemicals are now found all over the planet, even at the poles and in the deep oceans and new ones, of unknown hazard, are being produced all the time. Yet we wonder at the rise in cancers and ‘mystery’ illnesses.

It would appear that we may have already transgressed the Chemical Pollution planetary boundary as well. Even more frightening, these planetary boundaries are not mutually exclusive, but interconnected. Pushing past one boundary could cause a tipping point in the others.

As Paul Ehrlich in his essay Can Western Civilization Avoid Collapse? explains, our reliance and blind belief in technology will likely be our unraveling:

Natural scientists know what the threats are:  the scale of the human enterprise has become too large relative to the natural systems that are essential to support it.  The academic action has now shifted to the domain of the social sciences.  The question of whether or not the West – not to mention the rest – can survive with anything like today’s level of well-being depends on finding ways to change our collective behavior – to direct cultural evolution in more benign directions.  Humanity doesn’t need any more evaluations of the state of our life-support systems – we know they’re going down the drain.  Instead, it needs a Millennium Assessment of Human Behavior that would generate a global public discussion to start to inform all of humanity of its common peril.   Achieving that will require the coordinated help of the behavioral sciences and humanities; the academic ball is now in their court.

The very technological sophistication of the West may make it more vulnerable to collapse than less-developed parts of the world.  We have foolishly failed to build resilience into our industrial agricultural systems, our complex power grids that are overdependent on abundant fossil energy, our automobile-centered transport systems, and so on.  A nation of subsistence farmers might become the global “superpower” after a nuclear war or novel pandemic – “ruling” over a destroyed world....

And when you couple the factor of peak net energy with the self-deceit we have of our technological prowess, you get the following picture for Britain(which is also similar to the fate of America and the rest of the industrialized world):

Looking at a national situation such as Britain, one finds a devastating picture. Its oil supply is declining at about 5% a year and will be about gone by 2050. Its gas is declining at 7.5% a year and will be gone even sooner. There is a bit of coal left although the peak of production was in 1914. It has some nuclear power, but I just got a paper from Michael Dittmar in Switzerland showing that world uranium supplies cannot be maintained for long. You can see it at http://xxx.lanl.gov/pdf/1106.3617v1

But the country has a population of 62 million, and no doubt each household has a mass of embedded energy. Manufacturing simply embeds energy, and transport consumes it. So it would seem to suggest that by the end of the Century the country can support no more than a few million living in the style of Jimmy Mulroe of Connemara.

Embedded Energy

Seeing as how the discussion of Ruppert's message has been buried beneath his 'style', the prospects of hope for the future of mankind seem a little dim, much like that of a single, half-melted candle in a dark room whose windows are opened wide to a strong breeze that is headed our way.

XRM

mooselick7's picture
mooselick7
Sad
I'm a member of Collapsenet, have read all of Ruppert's books and watched his videos.

Before this video, I had sent a few messages asking him to drop the see-I-told-you-so's out of his comments. This video was his answer to those requests.

In the comments section of the video, you will see many members (including my myself) letting him know our feelings on this. A few have dropped their subscriptions. I suspect that he will read those comments and cool it. I would not enjoy being on the receiving end of those comments. It would be a humbling experience - even for Mike.

One thing I have learned in getting to know some of the publicly known peak oil folks both online and personally, is that they are all human. They are far from perfect.

Mike is far from perfect but he provides analysis from a perspective that I have not found elsewhere. Not only does he provide insight on trends in economic, environmental and energy. He provides insight on geopolitical trends, shadow government tactics, shadow economic forces and covert operations. (You know, conspiracy fact we cant discuss here.)

At the end of the day, we will continue on being human.
ao's picture
ao
mooselick7 wrote:I'm a
mooselick7 wrote:

I'm a member of Collapsenet, have read all of Ruppert's books and watched his videos.

Before this video, I had sent a few messages asking him to drop the see-I-told-you-so's out of his comments. This video was his answer to those requests.

In the comments section of the video, you will see many members (including my myself) letting him know our feelings on this. A few have dropped their subscriptions. I suspect that he will read those comments and cool it. I would not enjoy being on the receiving end of those comments. It would be a humbling experience - even for Mike.

One thing I have learned in getting to know some of the publicly known peak oil folks both online and personally, is that they are all human. They are far from perfect.

Mike is far from perfect but he provides analysis from a perspective that I have not found elsewhere. Not only does he provide insight on trends in economic, environmental and energy. He provides insight on geopolitical trends, shadow government tactics, shadow economic forces and covert operations. (You know, conspiracy fact we cant discuss here.)

mooselick7,

Good hearing from you.  I was just wondering the other day how you were doing with your life experiment.

Indeed, he does have a lot to offer.  And indeed, like the rest of us, he is human.  When someone is in the public eye, unfortunately, their human shortcomings tend to be magnified.  There is a certain level of ego that is required to climb to the top of one's field and unfortunately, if not closely watched, it tends to turn around and bite one in the butt.  Here's hoping he can keep his leashed and under control. 

katyan's picture
katyan
Prophets of Doom video

Two quick comments and a good resource link:

First, I concurr with the consensus here that Ruppert's recent post is an embarrassing, self-aggrandizing, over-the-top rant. It does nothing to dispell the impression that people holding similar views are nut cases or to move the message forward. We don't have to be cold and completely unemotional - these are serious issues that are causing untold pain, loss and suffering to all forms of life - but this was clearly a display of misplaced emotion.

Anybody can become angry--that is easy. But to be angry with the right person and to the right degree and at the right time and for the right purpose, and in the right way -- that is not within everybody's power and is not easy.
~ Aristotle

Second, while we can understand general trends and project probabilities into the future, no one can accurately predict the exact timing of specific events. A few people will, of course, get lucky occasionally...even a stopped clock is right twice a day. If we long for someone to tell us exactly what is going to happen and when, we will always be disappointed.That's one of the things that I appreciate about Chris' approach and that gives him more credibility over some of the other folks in this space.

Finally, there were posts a few months ago about a History Channel special called "The Prophets of Doom" that featured Ruppert among a few other well-known prognosticators. I tried in vain to find a repeat showing, and have since cut the cord on cable TV. So I was pleased to stumble on a site that provides free links to hundreds of documentaries, including Prophets of Doom:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/prophets-of-doom

I find it mildly interesting to speculate on why the History Channel, which typically recycles programs ad infinitum, has practically buried this piece (unless that has changed since I unplugged).

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
Sad? NO, darn FRUSTRATED!
mooselick7 wrote:

All I can say is that I can relate to Ruppert...  depression has turned to anger and frustration as it really becomes obvious we are fast running out of time.  The death spiral is accelerating, and nobody gives a toss...

Mike

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
tears of joy

We got similar preaching at church today and all I could do was cry because finally  the whole room of people were figuring everything out .   I don't care if I was emotional .

If you can't get emotional on the path we are headed  Then you might already be numbed .

FM 

Jeff Maxwell's picture
Jeff Maxwell
Ruppert

I respect this guy for his integrity.  I've followed him from the "From the Wilderness" days.  I worried for him during the Venezuela episode, which I would have advised him against had I had the opportunity, knowing that country as I do.  However, this most recent video has disappointed me, and seems to be the culmination of an increasingly strident and egotistical attachment to Apocalypse Now.  I can get all the information his web site offers elsewhere, in part here, and I won't be renewing CollapseNet. 

Jeff Maxwell's picture
Jeff Maxwell
Ruppert

I respect this guy for his integrity.  I've followed him from the "From the Wilderness" days.  I worried for him during the Venezuela episode, which I would have advised him against had I had the opportunity, knowing that country as I do.  However, this most recent video has disappointed me, and seems to be the culmination of an increasingly strident and egotistical attachment to Apocalypse Now.  I can get all the information his web site offers elsewhere, in part here, and I won't be renewing CollapseNet. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments