Meal planning software recommendations?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat
Meal planning software recommendations?

So, most of us who put up our own harvest, buy in bulk, and have a ready supply of long-term storage foods will eventually run into an issue where you just don't know what to make, or might not have everything you wish to make, or don't necessarily know how much food and meals actually exist in your pantry.

I'd want the ability to have a running inventory of everything in my pantry (with expiry dates and notes if possible!), the ability to add in my own modfied recipes (for dried LTS ingredients instead of fresh) as well as importing/copy-pasting existing recipes, the ability to add/supdate items and quantities outside of a recipe or meal (in case something goes bad or whatever), and the ability to change individual ingredients into a processed good that is now part of the inventory instead, and the ability to create several months worth of menus (not just a single week) so that I can make sure I stock up on everything I need and not have stale inventory hanging around instead of making a meal with it. Generating a shopping list and nutritional info are nice to haves, but I'm looking mostly for inventory control and stock rotation/efficiency.

Does anyone have any recommendations for really good (i.e. robust and not horribly expensive) meal planning software?

I'm hoping someone else has already developed something like this and that I don't have to spec and code it myself.... just don't have enough spare time for software development anymore.

JAG's picture
JAG
Re: Meal planning software recommendations?

I use MacGourmet and highly recommend it if your on a Mac.

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat

Looks like a robust recipe and meal planner for the Mac. Unfortunately, I'm on PC and I need a better grocery inventory management feature.

All the grocery inventory management/meal planning type software I've found are all professional for hospitals and restaurants. I know there has to be a home version out there for those of us with long term food stores and a big pantry!

plantoeat's picture
plantoeat

I actually created a meal planning website for my wife about a year ago called Plan to Eat (www.plantoeat.com) that may be what you are looking for. It sounds like you have some very specific requirements regarding tracking you pantry, but you can do pretty much everything else you have mentioned on our site. The implementation of our pantry, is mainly to jog your memory with what you may need to add to your shopping list, other than items from you meal plan. I would be interested in discussing your pantry ideas more. It may be something that our current users would also like. You could add this post to our support forums to start a dialog with our current customers. http://support.plantoeat.com/discussions.

If you check out the site let me know what you think and maybe I can add more functionality that could make your life a little easier.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments