matriarchy

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
pir8don's picture
pir8don
matriarchy

I started out thinking what most bankers and politicians have in common.
and quickly came up with these as my first three

• males
  • wear ties
  • monochromatic dress

Then I thought so if these characteristics (and the many others) describe the problem people then what practical alternatives are there if you (unlike me) want a big fix. Daniel Quinn, author of Beyond Civilization, has encouraged me to think not of new plans of the old vision but new visions without plans.

So I am not advocating matriarchy but I am wondering why such an obvious and logical potential solution gets no current press at all (Perhaps I just haven't looked hard enough).

Time for men to get out of the way?

Familiarity with dirty nappies may be the most valuable experience to sort this mess out. Well that and weaning young.

Don

"And I'm neither left or right
I'm just staying home tonight,
getting lost in that hopeless little screen.
But I'm stubborn as those garbage bags
that Time cannot decay"

Leonard Cohen - Democracy

James Wandler's picture
James Wandler
Re: matriarchy

Don,

Bernard Lietaer argues that "mater focused" might be a better description of how the world might work with complementary currencies.  You can find a video interview of Bernard, author of The Future of Money, at http://www.themoneyfix.org/index.php

The book The Cultural Creatives: How 50 Million People Are Changing the World by Paul Ray and Sherry Ruth Anderson suggests that women outnumber men by 2:1 in this movement to find a new way to live.  Sadly, all of this takes place outside of the MSM so these people largely have no idea of the existence of the group that they belong to and are "wandering along in the desert" (my words).  Spreading The Crash Course is one great way of linking these people together by showing them reality as it is not the illusion MSM projects.

The theme of the book you've just read continues in The Great Turning: From Empire to Earth Community by David Korten.  This is the way forward and this is what I'm doing.  You can see more about David Korten on his website www.davidkorten.org

Enjoy,

James

P.S. Oh, and while I'm at it I may as well mention (as I've posted elsewhere) the book I'm reading right now...No More Throwaway People by Edgar Cahn...changing nappies and weaning young shouldn't be valued at nothing in our society...changing our money system is the key to valuing the non-market economy and building social capital. The way forward is complex and evolving as it should be...however our money system is at the heart of the changes needed.

P.P.S. Since I recall that you live in New Zealand you'll be happy to know, so I've read, that your government has been an active supporter of complementary currencies.  Worldwide I believe we are in our infancy in monetary systems so its nice to see one country making progress.

pir8don's picture
pir8don

Thanks James

I have enjoyed a brief exploration of your links and particularly warm toward the great turning.

I am concerned that any money system will amount to enforced cooperation and would like to learn of one that does not so will explore more. It seems to me that money is only real to the extent that people are prepared to work for it and I would like to think that we might find a better reason for working together such as human-scale groups. That thinking seems to accord with the great turning.

We have a green dollar in our locality (Nelson 30,000 people) but it has been virtually abandoned by the participants apparently due to massive imbalances. Some people did all the work and others got all the work. Two clear groups.

Have you read Charles Eisenstein? http://www.realitysandwich.com/money_and_turning_age

I don't accord with either Charles or Daniel in respect of their models for our future but find their analysis very incisive.

Our government may be one of the better. 

I've just returned from a break in the wild and am delighted to find so much thought stimulation. Thanks for your contribution. Now to the fun part of exploring new ideas.

Don

grl's picture
grl

nice thought.... but the world doesn't work like that. Proof - look at the women who make it to positions of power. Ummm ...how can I explain this? ok, I'll try to put it in this sentence: Women whose focus is on changing nappies (in a very general sense) do not have the ability to lead. or two sentences: Women who do have the ability to lead are not maternal, they are, well, more like men. (think Maggie) This is coming from a woman who has dabbled with both sides of the fence so I hope you will take it that I have some credibility in my comments. (but probably not b/c you are a man - ok that was sort of a joke)

pir8don's picture
pir8don

Thanks grl got the joke.

Would women really have or even want positions of power?. I think our biggest problem is in wanting leaders or worse thinking that we need them. Maybe a woman centric world would not be hierarchical. Perhaps not even systematised. Who knows how a modern matriarchy might look. Maybe elephants offer some clues.

Its all called into question as civilisation stumbles.  

Don

VeganDB12's picture
VeganDB12

God, I thought the 70's settled these questions.  Now I have more questions....

Who ever said that mother's aren't in a position of power?  Tell that to your mum, see what she thinks....

What about Hillary Clinton, Margaret Thatcher, Madeleine Albright, Golda Meir, Nefertiri, Joan of Arc, etc....?

If women who change nappies can't lead does that mean men who change nappies can't lead either? What the heck does diapers have to do with this? 

Every time there is a big war that kills most of the men, who do you think carries on???? What gender is left behind?

Honestly, I agree with you, if women were in charge there would be less destruction of the land and the world, testosterone is clearly linked to aggression in men and women, but why does it have to be either/or men/women?

I have no good answer to this, only questions.  

Thanks for waking me up this morning! :)

Denise

James Wandler's picture
James Wandler

grl,

I do agree with you.  I feel that women are the glue that hold the world together and the monetary system values their efforts for free.  I also believe that many of the men, and women, that seek power may not have the best of intentions, and by contrast, those that suspect what power might do to them might actively seek to avoid it. 

That's why the undercurrent of change in the world is at the grassroots level.  This is something Chris and Becca are trying to spark: (awareness->understanding->action at a personal and grassroots level to bring change so that to the current power structure reflects the world we want, instead of the world that we have abdicated to those with selfish intentions).

Another perspective is Paul Hawken's book Blessed Unrest: How the Largest Social Movement in History Is Restoring Grace, Justice, and Beauty to the World (which I see today is heavily discounted at Amazon) where millions of people are moving to restore the Earth.  Paul has built the website www.wiserearth.org to help bring these people together.

I'd go beyond "thinking outside the box" and argue that "there is no box".  Not only is Don suggesting we not accept the world as it is we look for another path.

I also believe that the current monetary system heavily directs human behavior.

Don,

I'll check out your link - thanks!  The problems you've experienced with complementary currencies shows that we are in the infancy of the solutions.  By contrast, look at the problems emanating from the national currencies.  Sure we built a lot with the current system...but it is extremely disfunctional (pollution, environmental damage, overfishing of oceans...)

At some point I'll be better able to explain how the "way forward" can better be done but right now I'm just gathering information through the books I read and connecting the dots all over the place.

Cheers,

James

pir8don's picture
pir8don

pir8don's picture
pir8don

Another link I found on Ran Prier's site

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,627363,00.html

What was it like living for two months in the matriarchical society of the Mosuo in China?

An Argentinian male reports through an online interview

Don

jerrydon10's picture
jerrydon10

I've been taking orders from women all my life. It used to be yes ma'am. Today it is yes, baby.

pir8don's picture
pir8don

Jerry

That will teach you for robbing the cradle (or did you help fill it?)

Don

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

Why do people think that women would automatically make superior leaders? Isn't this sexism of a sort?

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

Better question: Why do we need leaders on a national level?

Wouldn't localized leaders be better equipped to represent their people?
The problem isn't the gender, it's attenuation based on the scope of interests being represented.

The broader the mainstream gets, the harder it is to cross.

Cheers!

Aaron

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

Aaron, are you an anarchist in the classical sense?

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

Anarchy is a transient state between governments. Just like peace is a transient state between war.

I support self-governing autocracies, but generally... Yes. The Professor in "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" is probably the closest I have to a political mirror.

That said, The idea of having anyone "lording" over me doesn't sit well.
A respected person who's shown good judgement is one thing, a plutocrat ordained by material wealth is another entirely.

Rambling.

Aaron

foote2777's picture
foote2777

Women and Men are like Ying and Yang - you need both to have balance.

The dominance of Men in this world has caused an imbalance which is so obvious to see. women in power would have the same effect - an imbalance. what we need is an appreciation for both sexes for they both offer different things to every situation. how about a leader team made up of equal amounts of women and men.

Jon

pir8don's picture
pir8don

It is not at all certain that matriachy means women leaders or (worse still) women in charge. See 4 above. There are possible models in nature - elephants and thats only what my limited brain can quickly conceive, meaning there are certainly a miriad of ways to be different from our present patriachy. Why limit ourselves to models from patriachy? Kind of defeating the purpose.

Leadership IMO has no value to human scale groups but experience has heaps, its invested in differing people at divergent times on divergent subjects. Leadership serves only to restrain the full benefit to be gained from experience.

Don

Acquiescence by the many to their own inability to comprehend

Edit: its not just sluggish performance experiencing at present the site has gone back two months and left me feeling decidedly queasy. Is it me or is it CM?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments