The Math is Different at the Top (Part I)

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
ashvinp's picture
ashvinp
The Math is Different at the Top (Part I)

This is Part I in a three-part series that will examine the ways in which impending crises (financial, environmental, energy, climate) will create global uncertainty from the perspective of financial elites in charge of currently powerful institutions, who have traditionally used economic crises to concentrate more wealth/power in their hands.

Quote:

It's Not Rocket Science.

It's just basic arithmetic. 2+2 = 4 ...

Privately-owned central banks + discretionary monetary policy = systemic corruption/oppression.

If the Food & Drug Administration had 100% of its shares owned by private pharmaceutical companies, and, a few months after implementing some radical new regulatory directives, these companies began making record profits and their executives receiving record bonuses, then it wouldn't be too difficult to understand why.

Well, that's not necessarily a hypothetical as much as a sad representation of reality, but the connection is even more blatant in the case of the "Federal" Reserve. It's 100% owned by private financial institutions, which receive 6% annual dividends on their shares, and have enormous control over the selection of its Board of Governors, who in turn have enormous control over its Open Market Operations.

After the Fed launched its "QE1" and "QE2" programs in 2008 and 2010, the two most aggressive monetary directives ever undertaken in America (they will combine to total ~$2.5T in debt-asset purchases [1]), the banks have posted "their two best years in investment banking and trading".

ashvinp's picture
ashvinp
Poet's picture
Poet
Real-life Game of Monopoly

If you're the same Ashvin Pandurangi, kudos to you for an excellent article.

I've said it before. I'll say it again. We ARE in the end stages of a real-life game of Monopoly. As some players of Monopoly know, sometimes losers will pick up the board and toss everything in a fit of rage.

Poet

SailAway's picture
SailAway
So after reading this, who

So after reading this, who still think we should first cut benefits, wages, health care... to the one in the bottom BEFORE rising tax to the top 5% ?

ashvinp's picture
ashvinp
Re: Monopoly
Poet wrote:

I've said it before. I'll say it again. We ARE in the end stages of a real-life game of Monopoly. As some players of Monopoly know, sometimes losers will pick up the board and toss everything in a fit of rage.

Poet

Poet, I like the monopoly analogy. I've always thought that they should have created a Monopoly game that fully included access to credit and debt/interest payments haha... probably would have been too complicated for the average American. Maybe you could factor in environmental damages from the railroads and utilities too...

I'm sure a fist fight would break out between the winner and losers at the end of that game though.

ericg's picture
ericg
ashvinp wrote: I like the

ashvinp wrote:

I like the monopoly analogy. I've always thought that they should have created a Monopoly game that fully included access to credit and debt/interest payments haha...

We've always played Monopoly using credit and debt/interest payments. It's more laisse faire play bartering and negotiating for properties and debt forgiveness. We have also gotten more Hotels and homes from other Monopoly games. You can build quite an Empire. Anyway I mention all this, because you don't always have to follow their rules so to speak

Eric

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments