Massachussets tornadoes; anyone heard from Chris and others in the area?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
nickbert's picture
nickbert
Massachussets tornadoes; anyone heard from Chris and others in the area?

Massachusetts Tornadoes: At Least 4 Dead; Springfield, Westfield Hard Hit

Hopefully Chris and his family and all the other CM.com members in the western and central Massachussets area can give a quick shout out letting everyone know they're all right?  It sounds like much of the Northeast is getting hit with nasty weather, but a tornado (or several of them, rather) in populated areas that are unaccustomed to them is pretty serious business.

- Nickbert

guardia's picture
guardia
Re: Massachussets tornadoes; anyone heard from Chris and others

I am sure they are taking the blackout enthusiastically as a drill Cool After all they have been teaching us about resiliency, I am not very worried... Still, looking forward to know for sure they are safe indeed

Samuel

cnbbaldwin's picture
cnbbaldwin
I live just south of where

I live just south of where the tornadoes hit in central CT.  The heaviest weather including the tornadoes hit just south of Chris in a narrow band that went west to east, so while he may have lost power I think they should have avoided the worst.

joemanc's picture
joemanc
Scary

That was scary seeing that damage on the teeveee last night. Hit too close to home. I'd much rather deal with snowstorms than tornadoes.

Hope Chris and everyone in that area are ok.

Amanda Witman's picture
Amanda Witman
nickbert
nickbert wrote:

Massachusetts Tornadoes: At Least 4 Dead; Springfield, Westfield Hard Hit

Hopefully Chris and his family and all the other CM.com members in the western and central Massachussets area can give a quick shout out letting everyone know they're all right?  It sounds like much of the Northeast is getting hit with nasty weather, but a tornado (or several of them, rather) in populated areas that are unaccustomed to them is pretty serious business.

- Nickbert

Thanks.  Our family is fine - we had hail and torrential downpours yesterday, and winds, and a power outage, but nothing worse than that.  I haven't spoken with the Martensons today, but from what I have heard about nearby areas, I assume they are okay.

I've never heard of a tornado in this area in previous years, and I grew up here.  It's strange to think about.

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
one more thing to prep for .

I think this has already been a very active tornado season and I also think we are not done .   A tornado in Japan of all places !!!     The solar flares might be complicating things even more . Anyway I say to not assume since you have never been hit that you are home free.   Take the extra time to prepare  as best you can .

•       important papers in a secure place 
  •   Keep shoes and clothes ready beside your bed
  •  bike helmets on  the little ones during the worst threat
  •  plus all the normal preps .

FM

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Chris & family fine

Chris and the rest of the Martensons are fine. The toranados hit south of where they live. Communications went out for a bit, but other than that, they came through pretty unscathed.

He and the CM staff greatly appreciate the concern expressed here. Hopefully all of our other members living near Springfield are safe, as well.

As Samuel & FM mention, this storm is a reminder of the wisdom of investing in resiliency - against both the anticipated AND the unexpected. It's given the Martenson's a forced drill on how well their in-place preparations are at this stage. Once Chris is done cleaning up from the storm I'm sure he'll log in with an assessment.

Adam

nickbert's picture
nickbert
Glad to hear...

.... Chris and family and CM staff in the area are alright.  I know there are a lot of members in that area too; hopefully they didn't get hit too badly.  I imagine Chris will be far from the only one with a story to tell...

Wasn't it Chris who said he lives close to the same kind of nuclear power plant as Fukushima?  Glad it didn't affect that, as I'm guessing they probably didn't build it with the possibility of large tornadoes in mind.

- Nickbert

Amanda Witman's picture
Amanda Witman
nickbert wrote: Wasn't it
nickbert wrote:

Wasn't it Chris who said he lives close to the same kind of nuclear power plant as Fukushima?  Glad it didn't affect that, as I'm guessing they probably didn't build it with the possibility of large tornadoes in mind.

- Nickbert

Yes.  It's in my town.  I have decided that there is no benefit in freaking out.  Energy and focus are best spent preparing in whatever ways reasonably possible.  This particular plant is meant to close in 2012, yet the owning company is fighting to keep it open.  It is my strong hope that the tragedy in Japan will further the case to close it.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments