Martin Weiss Research feedback?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
bcc87's picture
bcc87
Martin Weiss Research feedback?

Has anybody researched and followed Martin Weiss research, paid subscriptions for information on market etc?

The free informaton I receive via email (for sometime now) has been informative. Im curious about his monthly paid subscription regarding market trends, stocks, etc, etc.

Feeback welcomed. thanks

ao's picture
ao
Re: Martin Weiss Research feedback?
bcc87 wrote:

Has anybody researched and followed Martin Weiss research, paid subscriptions for information on market etc?

The free informaton I receive via email (for sometime now) has been informative. Im curious about his monthly paid subscription regarding market trends, stocks, etc, etc.

Feeback welcomed. thanks

Here're some reviews of his flagship newsletter.  I have subscribed to it for information but have not followed most of his investment recommendations.  His track record is mixed.  Be prepared for deluges of e-mails. 

http://www.stockgumshoe.com/reviews/safe-money-report/

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr

Hey bcc87-

I used to read Dr. Martin Weiss' and his group's stuff quite a bit, and did learn from them.

What I really liked (opinion) about Martin Weiss and his team is that they have done a good job of alerting investors to trends that they may not otherwise be aware of: currency issues/problems with the dollar and treasuries, anticipated failures in various sectors, that we really do have an economic crisis unfolding, etc.  There were a lot of issues I learned about and got more tuned into through reading their stuff, and they were ahead of a lot of people in seeing these problems coming. So I do give them credit for that, and value reading them for that. 

On  the other hand, I did find that there were certain points that I disagreed with them...E.g., I have seen them promote gold etfs, which I am personally very uneasy about.  Here's one recent clip from http://www.moneyandmarkets.com/our-11-startling-forecasts-for-2010-8-36763:

"Larry: If you don’t own any gold, decide how much you want to allocate to gold and buy half now, half on a pullback. But don’t put most of that allocation in bullion coins or bars. You’ll have to pay a hefty premium. You’ll have the costs and hassles of storage. It’s simply not for most of your money.

Instead, I use the SPDR Gold Trust ETF (GLD). It’s far more flexible and practical...."

Although, to be fair, another recent clip dodes recognize the concern re the GLD etf vs physical gold bullion at http://www.moneyandmarkets.com/etfs-for-the-gold-bull-market-39508:

Golden Idea #1: Gold Bullion ETFs

This category of ETFs is directly tied to the gold price. You put your money into the fund and the manager uses it to buy gold bullion, which is then stored in a vault.

The first such ETF was SPDR Gold Shares (GLD), which came out in late 2004. This was the first time U.S. investors had access to gold in this way, and GLD was an instant success. A few months later iShares jumped in with the very similar iShares Comex Gold Trust (IAU).

Thanks to being first — and maybe because of a more memorable ticker symbol — GLD is today far larger than IAU. Both are huge, liquid ETFs and have achieved their objective of closely tracking the daily changes in gold prices.

Some people dislike the idea of an intermediary coming between them and their gold, or they wonder if the gold is really there. If this describes you, then my answer is simple: Don’t buy a gold ETF. Buy your own gold coins or bars, and store them in a place you think will be safe.

Another thing that eventually got to me was that their writings tend to be very alarmist a lot of the time.  In their defense,  I can't say a lot of what's going on doesn't warrant being alarmed! But after a while, for me, a constant alarm is too much.  It also started to seem to me, that the fanning of people's fear seemed to lead to trying to get business.  But that's harsher than I want that to sound.  I think they believe the issues are real and are alarming, and are providing a paid service in response to the scenario they see unfolding.  But I know one thing that I do like about Chris's site is that it doesn't come off as alarmist all the time, while still providing very clear warnings when deemed necessary.

That said,  I do believe (my opinion) that Martin Weiss is sincere in his concern for the dollar and our US national economy.  If you read much of his stuff, you learn that his father was an advocate of protecting the US dollar as a sound currency, and it honestly sounds like his son (Martin) has worked very hard to try carry on that legacy, and to serve real people.  So I think that he does he does come from a place of nobel values and intentions.

In summary, I have found value in the trends and issues that Weiss and his team raise, and think they have value as one voice to listen to.  But I don't find that I totally agree with all of their investment-related views (with GLD etf as one example).  So I personally am not comfortable with following their investment advice without doing my own due diligence first: assessing how well itheir recommendations align with my own perception of what is safe and what is not.  I also see it as more just a view of one "E" -the Economy.  I think that, without taking other major forces into consideration (peak cheap oil, resource scarcity), that one is not seeing the whole, big picture as well as they could be (1 dimensionally vs 3 dimensionally).

I hope that helps!

pinecarr

bcc87's picture
bcc87

Im debating subscribing for 1 month to see his latest financial offer, which involves hedge fund manager Monty (forget his last name); I've watched Martin Weiss and Uncommon wisdom videos, which are in line with some  of the information on this site specifically related to financial issues, gold, monetary policy, etc.

Im hesitant as realize most paid for subscriber investment strategies aren't always what they seem.

katyan's picture
katyan

I subscribed to their newsletters briefly, but dropped them (or at least TRIED to drop them) very quickly after doing more research. Even if their advice had been 100% on target, the style of their presentation seemed smarmy. My gut feeling is that they are grabbing onto some legitimate trends to push questionable investments. Be forewarned that it is very difficult to get off their mailing lists once you sign up. It took several attempts to stop the majority of emails.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments