Making Do

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
tom.'s picture
tom.
Making Do

You can make almost everything you need - cheaply. This 1972 book shows you how. I have divided it into (5) separate PDF files. They are all downloadable.

HOME- 56 PAGES

SHOP-1- 40 PAGES

SHOP-2- 22 PAGES

GARDEN- 12 PAGES

YARD- 19 PAGES

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor
Re: Making Do

Very cool, Tom, thanks!

SG

yoshhash's picture
yoshhash

a modern take on this sort of thing, web style, very entertaining at worst, lifesaver at best:

instructables.com and make.com

JAG's picture
JAG

Thanks for sharing this Tom, I find it valuable.

Jeff 

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

There's no MacGyver.com!?

SG

tom.'s picture
tom.
Good Earth Almanac

Here is another decent publication from 1973, downloadable also 100 pages 12 MB (might be slow) .. CLICK ON PICTURE to see the pdf.

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

Neat stuff, Tom!

SG

cat233's picture
cat233

Tom,

Thank you for all of your suggestions... In your past post, you have personally provide me with invaluable material.  Thank you for always sharing your knowledge and sources.

Cat

tom.'s picture
tom.
Emergency Care

I'm glad some of you guys like these ... I am thinking about putting this one in a PDF file, not all at once but over a couple week period .. It's another one of those 1970's books that I couldn't throw out ..This book was for EMT training in the 70's & may be out of date in several areas of emergency care, but I figured .. it's better than nothing.

Clicking on the yellow picture gets you the index of the book, 300+ pages.

Clicking HERE gets you a chapter on what to do about providing emergency care for wounds until the wounded person can receive professional care.

I will upload by chapter and selection .. If anyone has selective priority, say so & I will upload that chapter & selection first.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Wow - Thanks for the effort putting these together Tom.

If I recall - you are from West Virginny?  Any chance you can make it to the Lowesville Seminar.  Lowesville is between Lynchburg and Charlottesville.

Looking forward the more posts.

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor
Re: Emergency Care

Some of those could be helpful but look pretty bad. I remember a pharmacist's mate did an appendectomy with a sharpened kitchen knife on a sub in WW2 but that has always been my standard for gritty surgery. I can't remember if they had anesthetic or scotch.

You would suspect that this site would want the knife/gun wound section uploaded.

I guess they don't have "Emergency Medicine for Dummies", LOL.

SG 

tom.'s picture
tom.
Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote:

Wow - Thanks for the effort putting these together Tom.

If I recall - you are from West Virginny?  Any chance you can make it to the Lowesville Seminar.  Lowesville is between Lynchburg and Charlottesville.

Looking forward the more posts.

Nope .. PA

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
capesurvivor wrote:

I remember a pharmacist's mate did an appendectomy with a sharpened kitchen knife on a sub in WW2 but that has always been my standard for gritty surgery.

I thought the HM performed the appendectomy on a crewmemeber on the boat???  Laughing

Mrs. Wamsley - (my 4th grade English teacher) would be so proud I remembered all that subject noun, predicate, dangling participle and split infinitive stuff. 

Seriously, the Independent Duty Corpsmen on the SSNs and SSBNs are trained and capable of performing emergency appendectomies.  Our Doc was a Fleet Marine Force who had been in combat - back then you didn't see too many submarine IDC corpsmen wearing a Silver Star with Combat V.  We were pretty comfortable that he could take care of anything that came up.

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

Got me on the infinitive.

I remember the story from the old "Silent Service" tv drama. I read the book also, author, an admiral now,  (name of course escapes) just died last year here on the Cape.

SG

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments