Make a Portable hard start Capacitor ?????

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tycer's picture
Tycer
Make a Portable hard start Capacitor ?????

I have a Honda EU2000i generator that I use in remote areas and when the power goes out.

My skill saw, miter saw, and the fridge are stressing the limits of the generator and the motors on startup.

Is it possible to make a portable hard start capacitor box to reduce the strain on my stuff?

What do I need and what's the wiring diagram look like?

Thanks in advance!

bklement's picture
bklement
Re: Make a Portable hard start Capacitor ?????

A car uses the battery as the buffer from the alternator.  It may not be ideal but you could most likely do the same.  Just a thought...

Ready's picture
Ready

This may get you going in the right direction:

link

I have never seen a start cap that is not wired directly into the motor, not the generator. I would expect your fridge already has one.

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

Would the diagram for a Flux Capacitor work?

EndGamePlayer's picture
EndGamePlayer

Or, you can only run 1 thing at a time (what we plan on doing with our wind gens). I've been looking at appliance timer units to time the use, plug in timers or just use a single extension cord. 

My thoughts - re-think your power uses   =)  EndGamePlayer

Tycer's picture
Tycer
EndGamePlayer wrote:

Or, you can only run 1 thing at a time (what we plan on doing with our wind gens). I've been looking at appliance timer units to time the use, plug in timers or just use a single extension cord. 

My thoughts - re-think your power uses   =)  EndGamePlayer

I'm only running one thing at a time.

Tycer's picture
Tycer
Ready wrote:

This may get you going in the right direction:

link

I have never seen a start cap that is not wired directly into the motor, not the generator. I would expect your fridge already has one.

That link is what gave me the idea. I'm not looking to add it to the generator. I'd like to be able to plug it in to the extension cord close to the appliance and plug the appliance into the cap.

From what I've read on the RV forums, the caps wired into RV A/C units are undersized and the link you provided gets piggy backed onto the factory cap.

bklement's picture
bklement

Here's an example of what I mean.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3685676&CatId=234

When the power draw isn't met by the available supply a battery backup fills the gap (sort of).

Tycer's picture
Tycer
bklement wrote:

Here's an example of what I mean.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3685676&CatId=234

When the power draw isn't met by the available supply a battery backup fills the gap (sort of).

got it. I have those for my computers. They are generally a sealed lead/acid battery and some have a cap. I'm not sure if they have a large enough capacitor. Plus mine weigh around 14 pounds.

bklement's picture
bklement

This wikipedia entry explains a bit as to the type of UPS you'd need to work for your application (a double conversion IGBTs)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply#Capacitors

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Johnny Oxygen wrote:

Would the diagram for a Flux Capacitor work?

Only if you want to send your fridge back to 1962...Tongue out

JAG's picture
JAG

I considered the 2000, but bought the 3000 for the reasons that you mentioned. It sure did save my butt in the last hurricane, though its very heavy for one man to get in the bed of a pick-up!

thatchmo's picture
thatchmo

OK, as a Honda Power Equipment dealer, I suggest getting the Honda EU2000i Companion model- you can combine it with your existing EU2000 and get all the power you will probably need for your application (all EU2000i models can be combined with an inexpensive harness from your Honda dealer....).   For those needing more watts, check out the new EU3000iHandi model, I can pick it up with one hand, still quiet and computer friendly- rope start only.  Check out Honda's web site....Aloha, Steve.

thatchmo's picture
thatchmo

Meant to opine that you might as well spend the $$ on good stuff now before------whatever.....Aloha, Steve.

Gungnir's picture
Gungnir

Hey Tycer,

Ok I haven't really looked at this thread, but I do see some issues with what you're trying to do.

Any solution you're going to get is going to be heavy and/or "expensive". Big cap's or batteries that can supply high currents (and thus power) are heavy, and then there's always the necessity to have a synchronized AC power waveform (to the Generator output) since you're trying to increase current flow from the boost circuit and add it to the generator output.

The simplest way (assuming the generator uses an internal inverter from a 12V generator/alternator ciruit which I believe the Honda does) is to try to boost the output stabilization circuitry so that it's more resilient to cold cranking power draws (above rated), but that needs some understanding of the output circuitry on the Honda, I have one and no I'm not going to fiddle about with it, unless it's broken, because it may be broken after I fiddle about with it. This might include adding in supporting electrolytic capacitors AND changing any Power MOSFETs or Power Converters, ensuring of course you also disable the power overload safety or replace with a higher overload protector.

So I'd suggest getting a larger generator rather than trying to cobble together something to make your Generator more applicable to your needs.

Yes you could use a UPS, however then your generator will be driving the UPS and the UPS driving your gear, which might not be a bad idea, however then you need to get a UPS with a greater than 2kW output, these can be expensive, and of course heavy. A 3000 VA (2700 Watt) UPS from APC is between $1100 and $1500 so in that instance it's cheaper to get a second Generator as thatchmo suggested (my EU2000i was under $1000) and you'd have greater headroom.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments