Lunchtime Seminar on Crash Course

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Woodman's picture
Woodman
Lunchtime Seminar on Crash Course

I did it!  Today I gave a lunchtime seminar including a Powerpoint presentation in my office.  This was a huge step for me after months of studying and thinking I must be crazy that no one else I know is talking about this stuff.  Attending Rowe helped give me confidence to not be afraid to spread the message.

I developed a presentation based on certain key concepts in the Crash Course to condense it into an hour or so.  This allowed for group discussion and questions as we went.  My goal was just raise awareness so folks could pursue the Crash Course and other resources further on their own.  Everyone took a copy of the DVD that hadn't got one from me already, even my boss.  This was an easy crowd, being all very smart professionals, but still I tried to balance "saying it like it is" while not totally turning off everyone.  Everyone seemed to appreciate the information in the end. 

I focused on topics in this order: General intro on asking questions/trusting yourself, then reasons for oil price volatility and concepts of Peak Oil briefly.  Then I delved into Economic issues:  How money is created, Federal Reserve, inflation, debt, boomer bubble, stock market bubble, housing bubble, stock market bubble, infrastructure needs (my line of work as an engineer) and options to revolve the debt.  I stressed the facts say the future will be different, whether it's worse or not depends on your attitude.  I skipped detailed discussions on things in the crash course like the exponential function, growth vs. prosperity, and how much is a trillion but highlighted these thing as they came up in other parts of the presentation.  If I had to shorten this, I'd just skip peak oil and do that separately another time.   

I'm not sure anyone I've given the DVD to has looked at it extensively yet, but hopefully the talk I gave today will be enough to get them to make it a priority.

I benifited greatly from putting this together, because it forced me to learn it well enough to explain it. 

Has anyone else done anything like this, and how has it worked out?

Tom

NLP's picture
NLP
Re: Lunchtime Seminar on Crash Course

Bravo Tom!

I am still trying to piece together a similar presentation.  I want so much to tackle peak oil as it is the foundation upon which everything rests, but for my area (Southern California) car is king, and due to presentation time limits, I feel I will have to save peak oil for another time. Thanks for listing your points covered.

I can feel the elation in your post!  Congratulations.  And thanks for sharing your triumphant news.

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

Congrats, Wood!  Public speaking is tough -- and this subject is obviously quite complex.  Well done!  

I'm talking to a local buddy (who turned me on to CC/CM) about possibly doing a presentation here in the Kingston/New Paltz area (Hudson Valley of NY).  FWIW...

Woodman's picture
Woodman

Well, I did another presentation today in our other office, and everyone was interested enough to take a DVD of the Crash Course.  I was impressed that my coworkers all sat through the scary charts and data.  One thing everyone is looking for, and would help more in the Crash Course perhaps, is something at the end of the presentation with more of a sense of hope or solution or that the future won't be horrible. I did get some agreement though that a lower standard of living doesn't necessarily mean a lower quality of living.  I also emphasized that the future will be different, and whether it's bad or not depends on how flexible you are in your expectations.   And that I feel more energized and excited now as I ever have in my life.  Anything anyone else can add? 

I just know every major past crisis in my life has been resolved by acknowledging the true problem and dedicating myself to action.

Tom

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder
Woodman wrote:

Well, I did another presentation today in our other office, and everyone was interested enough to take a DVD of the Crash Course.  I was impressed that my coworkers all sat through the scary charts and data.  One thing everyone is looking for, and would help more in the Crash Course perhaps, is something at the end of the presentation with more of a sense of hope or solution or that the future won't be horrible. I did get some agreement though that a lower standard of living doesn't necessarily mean a lower quality of living.  I also emphasized that the future will be different, and whether it's bad or not depends on how flexible you are in your expectations.   And that I feel more energized and excited now as I ever have in my life.  Anything anyone else can add? 

I just know every major past crisis in my life has been resolved by acknowledging the true problem and dedicating myself to action.

Tom

Tom,

Unfortunately I don't have any "pearls of wisdom" to offer. However, I do want to congratulate you on your accomplishment.

If I still worked in an office, I doubt that I would have the gumption to get up and do a lunch-time presentation as you have. You are to be commended. Your actions are exactly what Chris needs to get the word out there to as many people as possible.

I also liked your last sentence. Your approach to life is exactly what everyone should try!

SnowshoeBob's picture
SnowshoeBob

Hey Tom,

Thanks for your post and the followups. I too am working on a one hour presentation building on the CC. Two thoughts:

First, I'd love to share resources to develop a presentation (I have an outline so far and am just getting started on PowerPoint slides). I'd be happy to share my work. Would you be willing to share yours? The offsite file storage that is mentioned in another thread would be a handy place to do this.

Second, like you I don't want to leave folks on a downer (for the psychology of this check out Rob Hopkins The Transition Handbook, (Chelsea Green 2008) Part II, "The Heart"). I have those overwhelmed feelings too. For me, one antidote is to discover all the folks who are addressing parts of the problems we face, and there are lots of them! They may not see the big picture and the interrelationships which the CC highlights, but they're doing good work none the less. For my particular interests the food folks are great: the Permaculture people, sustainable farming associations, local sustainability initiatives etc. Also, the Transistion Town movement seems to knit lots of these threads together in a useful way.

I also like Chris' emphasis on 'trust yourself' and the recognition that community is essential in all of this.

As I led a neighborhood group through the CC over four evenings, my attitude was always, "What do you think of this? Does this make sense to you? How do you think you should respond?"  I'd be nuts to offer solutions to problems as big as those we face, or to prescribe specific actions or responses. But there are lots of specific actions that can be taken as individuals, families and communities and a suprising wealth of folks who have already begun that work (or a piece of it) and who welcome fellow travellers. That's a hopeful piece.

Bob

Woodman's picture
Woodman

Nice ideas Bob. "What do you think of this? Does this make sense to you? are questions I tried to interject.

I'm willing to share, any presentations made available for download I'd want to make sure are credited to the original source and/or copyright free as necessary.  Chris I suspect has crafted the CrashCouse deliberately in certain ways I would not want to detract from.  Looking forward to the new edition. 

The latest FinancialSense.com podcast, particularly part 3 - Big Picture, this past weekend was saying the same things I was this past week; it was uncanny!.

Tom

Woodman's picture
Woodman

I'm finding a bit of followup to be powerful.  I reminded my colleagues only 3 week ago I had explained the most likely outcome to settle the Debt was to print money.  Well, guess what the Fed announced this week!  I got an overwhelming response to continue providing tidbits of information.   

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

Hey,

Congrats!  Talking about this before a group is impressive. It does help hone your thinking!

I spent time with my local rep but he is greenie. I am going to follow up with an email to him after the monetization. I also like the "Three Questions" mentioned above and will keep them in mind. Keep us informed as I am also planning possible public presentation.

SG

fortytwo's picture
fortytwo

If you created a slideshow to go with your presentation you might consider uploading it to this site:

http://www.slideshare.net/

It is a file sharing site for slideshows on different topics.  It would allows others of us to use your slideshow (if you feel like sharing it openly) if we wanted to duplicate your efforts.  It also allows people to collaborate and modify or improve slideshows over time.

You can even record an audio track so that it can run virtually without you being there to give it. 

workhorse1569's picture
workhorse1569

Congratulations to Tom and Bob and all of us!

I too am making a short presentation to show to people. Mine will be coming at this from the Transition Town angle. I have heard Bob's presentation and it was great but I realized for my audience, I need to start on the highest note possible. I want to give them something to hang onto as we look at some scary stuff.

People like to hear that they are good, resourceful, connected etc.  I am going to talk about what's great about our town, its history and how much we have accomplished. Recently we have held some really good local events.  Then and only then I am going to talk about the challenges that face our community. Here is where I introduce the three E's. They can see what the declining economy has done to our small rural town. 

It is a challenge to present this material to someone else. It is at that point that you winnow out what you don't really know yourself.

Best of luck to all of us. 

Kate

Woodman's picture
Woodman

I did it again, a one year aniversery seminar for my coworkers last week, working under the same title as CM's recent Commonwealth Club talk "Too Much Debt" .  The seminar reviewed the key concepts of how money is loaned into existence and that our debt based economy depends on growth.  I reviewed the major factors that accelerated the progression into the "Great Recession".  Then I looked ahead at pending challenges and options for the Federal Reserve and the Federal Government, noting the most likely outcome looks like printing money/inflation, with some higher taxes and reduced entitlements snuck in, and noted the risk of a debt sprial and hyperinflation.  Then I talked about general steps we should do as a nation, as a community, as a company, and as individuals to prepare, and shared some positive steps I'm doing.

An update on peak oil was also presented, based on the latest UK Task Force Report.

I'd tweak my presentation next time to spend more time looking ahead than reviewing the past, which can be pretty depressing stuff when you take it all in at once.    What got accomplished?  Some increase in awareness, and requests from a few folks for more information and copies of the Crash Course.  The need for community in involvement was identified by the audience, to my pleasure.   My goal is to keep this moving toward "understanding" then "action". 

I gained a lot too preparing for this seminar; I can see how the dots all connect together!

In May I volunteered to do a Peak Oil talk at a local energy fair in my town, so I'll be gearing up for that next.  I'll try to use more photos and fewer charts since the audience won't likely be as technical, and I'll focus on a few key concepts and actions needed. 

Any suggestions are welcome!!!

Tom

Crash's picture
Crash
Woodman wrote:

I did it again,

Hey Tom, That sounds great. Is there any way you can share your presentation with us? I have been thinking about the need for a half-hour presentation I can do for people which gets the key concepts across, perhaps I could steal some of your ideas?

Brendan

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments