Louisiana - time to come together is NOW

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rosemary Sims's picture
Rosemary Sims
Louisiana - time to come together is NOW

The time to get together is now.  We are fortunate to live where we do and the Great Depression was merely a blip on our screen because we already didn't have "anything" according to the economy.  I think this will be a bit different and that it may happen sooner than we are all prepared for and have a dismal feeling that our summer woes will not be about hurricanes. 

There seems no focused place here on CM to do this, so I've posted a thread at LATOC in the forum  Group Announcements, Event Listings, and Post-Event Reports -  to really try to get all of us gulf coast folks talking about what (I personally) am sure is about to hit the fan.  We are used to this, etc, but there are those of us who would like to know like minded people along the gulf coast, I guess you could call it an expanded community?.  I don't think it would hurt to at least know some of the other prepared ones, do you?

This is not limited to Louisiana, of course - Don't MS, TX and FL seem to share the same woes as we?  So feel free to chime in.

Rosemary

Thomas Hedin's picture
Thomas Hedin
Re: Louisiana - time to come together is NOW

What would you do if there was a solution to this economic mess?

Ready's picture
Ready
Thomas Hedin wrote:

What would you do if there was a solution to this economic mess?

Thomas,

I don't think anyone on this site believes there are no "solutions". I think there are several problems with said solutions:

We apparently lack the political will to implement solutions

We lack the political fortitude to tell the truth about the situation and the numbers that tell the story

The solution itself may be highly distasteful to many who must take the medicine

continued exponential growth of population and economies on a limited planet is not possible.

If a new energy source as cheap and available as oil is not "discovered" there is not enough food on the planet to feed the population we currently have. Who decides who lives?

There is currently no replacement for oil that can pass muster to maintain our current society as is. Unless your solution involves cold fusion or some other technical miracle that you have been hiding in your back pocket, there simply is not enough for everyone as oil becomes scarce. No amounts of alternative energy (at this late date) can replace oil on a global scale.

What's your solution? To answer your question, if you have a solution that is realistic, politically obtainable, and does not involve mass die-off, I would work tirelessly at your side to implement it, as would most others in my opinon.

Rog

mpelchat's picture
mpelchat

Realistic, use FDIC process to undo the messed up banks ((this process was used, in the end, with the Savings and Loans.  It worked once put in action))

Politically obtainable, the messed up banks are the ones that give huge contributions plus lobbyist actions.

http://www.politicalbase.com/groups/bank-of-america/10934/&electionYear=2008

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/contrib.php?cycle=2008&cid=N00009638

The "big 5" banks total contributions for 2008 was $18.8 million ((data compiled from 2 sites above, this number is the total amount given to all federal candidates)), plus lobbyist actions.

Mass die-off, Something has to give way, the bankers are not willing to give way, the rich are not giving way, than who gives way and change happens.

The one thing that is known is that resources around us are dwindling.  A simpler life of living within our means with reusable sources of energy, organic/heirloom farming, and Industry that is recyclable and sustainable is what we need to get back too.  I know this may be a dream but it is the only positive result I can see for either us and/or the generations to come.  This simplicity is what we need to tirelessly work toward.

Ready's picture
Ready

mpelchat,

With respect, you are addressing only the banks with your solution, although I may be reading too much into this as you do not actually say it is a solution.

A simpler life is a solution (for a select few) however I thought Thomas was talking about far more than this with the way he posted in reguards to the thought of people banding together in the gulf region, no?

The banks are clearly high on the list of the sypmtoms that need tratement in this terminal patient called peak everything, however it is too little too late to focus on symptoms and expect much real progress as a result. It will potentially buy time, but that's about it in my view.

Best,

Rog

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments