Looking for like-minded. Is there a singles thread?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
latte4me's picture
latte4me
Looking for like-minded. Is there a singles thread?

I'm new to this forum.  For the last 8 months I have been studying our economy and especially enjoy Chris Martenson's view points.  However, now that my way of thinking has changed, I find it challenging to find others who feel the same.  Can anyone direct me in the right direction to find others?  I'm single, 46 years old, female, and ready to make a life-style change.  Thanks!

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
hi latte4me

Welcome to the formums. No, there is nothing like that here, but I wrote a book on it.

It outlines how I met my prepper husband, and is specifically for women over the age of 45. It shows you how to refine your seach to get exactly the sort of person you want to be with, using a quality assuranfce process. At the moment Better Dating Through Engineering  is available as a PDF, on Kindle (which can be read on a PC), and there is a Nook version at Barnes & Noble. We're the process of getting it onto iDevices and setting up a print version. 

ao's picture
ao
on target
safewrite wrote:

Welcome to the formums. No, there is nothing like that here, but I wrote a book on it.

It outlines how I met my prepper husband, and is specifically for women over the age of 45. It shows you how to refine your seach to get exactly the sort of person you want to be with, using a quality assuranfce process. At the moment Better Dating Through Engineering  is available as a PDF, on Kindle (which can be read on a PC), and there is a Nook version at Barnes & Noble. We're the process of getting it onto iDevices and setting up a print version. 

Safewrite,

Good luck on the success of the book.  Something like this is sorely needed.  If you write one for the younger crowd too, you will do very well financially.  It is amazing to me how abysmal the track record is for so many young females.  I see them consistently getting together with these loser guys who use them and abuse them and then they seem to be mystified why it all went bad.  They need help.  You can provide it.  Go for it! 

Amanda Witman's picture
Amanda Witman
Just saw this, safewrite.

If you write a similar book for 30- or early-40-somethings, please let me know... 

I also want to assure readers that it's on the CM team's radar that a subset of our readership would like to be able to meet up with likeminded folks, and some specifically looking for partnerships.  We are always considering ways to improve our site offerings and meet the needs of our readers, though our ability do this is (like everything else) necessarily finite.  Do keep the input coming.  And ao, good luck...

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Why this is such a great community

The ebb and flow and evolution of this site to reach the spectrum of viewers and their particular needs and desires is cause for hope.  How can we not win?

And just so you don't think I'm getting all squishy and philosophical, I'll leave you with signature irreverence:

maceves's picture
maceves
preppers single ad

OK--I'll bite--

SWF searching  for  like minded single male. 

Must have bug out bag packed and ready.  Must have advanced survival skills, love camping and the outdoors.  Must have bug out  location and be prepared to live there.  You show me yours; I'll show you mine.

Must have a one years supply of provisions. You've  got yours, I've got mine.

Must like animals, even if they aren't pets. Never  know when you'll need to count on them.

Can not want to take all my worms  fishing.

Must have  a good sense of humor--we'll need it when TSHTF.  No one likes a whiner.

Must like vegetables and be willing  to grow them, and dehydrate them, and cook creatively with them.  Must make an honest attempt at organic gardening and be willing to hold off on the insecticide.

Must understand the three Es and  have fully digested the red pill.  Must be willing to face the future with flexibility and creativity.

Must have good math skills, mechanical and engineering skills and ingenuity, cause I don't.

Should have already raised his kids and paid his bills; I have.  Should have paid all debts.

Should be in good physical shape and not need expensive medical intervention; I don't.  Should have good medical insurance anyway; I do.

Must have an active curiosity and a big imagination.  Must  be willing to learn and grow and take advice from those who have more experience.  Reading a lot is good too.

Must love the earth and feel a passion to  preserve it.  Loving kayaking and paddling  to exotic places is a plus (but then I like rivers and swamps…)  Must feel a need to share the awe inspiring beauty of the world around us.

Must feel a need for community and family.  We are not just in this by ourselves.  Must feel a need to make life better for neighbors and family no matter how bad it gets. 

Must have a connection to the divine and  know that there is a power that works for good no matter what we people down here do to each other. Must not consider that magical thinking; faith is a better word.

And since the party isn't over yet---must love the fog on the river,  the night sky at the beach,   the excitement of swamp,  the hugs and kisses of grandchildren and the love of a woman who thinks you are just wonderful.

ao's picture
ao
eligible and looking
maceves wrote:

OK--I'll bite--

SWF searching  for  like minded single male. 

Must have bug out bag packed and ready.  Must have advanced survival skills, love camping and the outdoors.  Must have bug out  location and be prepared to live there.  You show me yours; I'll show you mine.

Must have a one years supply of provisions. You've  got yours, I've got mine.

Must like animals, even if they aren't pets. Never  know when you'll need to count on them.

Can not want to take all my worms  fishing.

Must have  a good sense of humor--we'll need it when TSHTF.  No one likes a whiner.

Must like vegetables and be willing  to grow them, and dehydrate them, and cook creatively with them.  Must make an honest attempt at organic gardening and be willing to hold off on the insecticide.

Must understand the three Es and  have fully digested the red pill.  Must be willing to face the future with flexibility and creativity.

Must have good math skills, mechanical and engineering skills and ingenuity, cause I don't.

Should have already raised his kids and paid his bills; I have.  Should have paid all debts.

Should be in good physical shape and not need expensive medical intervention; I don't.  Should have good medical insurance anyway; I do.

Must have an active curiosity and a big imagination.  Must  be willing to learn and grow and take advice from those who have more experience.  Reading a lot is good too.

Must love the earth and feel a passion to  preserve it.  Loving kayaking and paddling  to exotic places is a plus (but then I like rivers and swamps…)  Must feel a need to share the awe inspiring beauty of the world around us.

Must feel a need for community and family.  We are not just in this by ourselves.  Must feel a need to make life better for neighbors and family no matter how bad it gets. 

Must have a connection to the divine and  know that there is a power that works for good no matter what we people down here do to each other. Must not consider that magical thinking; faith is a better word.

And since the party isn't over yet---must love the fog on the river,  the night sky at the beach,   the excitement of swamp,  the hugs and kisses of grandchildren and the love of a woman who thinks you are just wonderful.

Uh, I have a single friend who only changes his underwear and jeans once a week (to save the earth, of course), includes watching TV and drinking beer (out of recyclable bottles, not cans) as his favorite pastimes, and has a couple of (low calorie) TV dinners in the freezer.  Does that qualify?

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
ao wrote: maceves
ao wrote:
maceves wrote:

OK--I'll bite-- 

Uh, I have a single friend who only changes his underwear and jeans once a week (to save the earth, of course), includes watching TV and drinking beer (out of recyclable bottles, not cans) as his favorite pastimes, and has a couple of (low calorie) TV dinners in the freezer.  Does that qualify?

I think he qualifies for disqualification.  Which is OK.  He'll always have the TV to keep him company...

maceves's picture
maceves
washing machine

ao, 

tell your friend that that is not at all sexy.  He shouldn't need a lady to push the button on a washing machine.  Now if he can figure out how to make one, I do have operating a wringer washer in my skill set....

Woodman's picture
Woodman
Better dating through engineering

That's a great title Safewrite!

Being an engineer myself, I'm not sure if that helps or hurts my search for a partner, but finding someone like minded with the concepts at this site is definitely important!  and no TV.  Time seems to be the biggest challenge to find, outside of work and kids.

latte4me, you probably won't find hard core prepper groups locally, but there may be groups in your area with related concerns that would be good for networking.  For example, there are a couple energy efficiency committee groups I've been trying to get involved with.  Focus on activities you like.

Tom

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
yer doin' it wrong :-)

Maceves and anyone else reading this thread? A brief description of an effective online personals ad seems in order.

A personals ad is an advertisement; the wording is ad copy. I spent a great deal of time studying advertising, and it all boils down to some simple priciples.

1. What's the beneft? The most common problem I see with personals ads is that are they are all about the advertiser: I want. I need, I''m looking for. (And maceves,  despite the movie "Must Love Dogs" "You should" and "must" can be off-putting as they come across as commands.) The person reading your ad needs to know what's in it for him or her? Why should they answer you, contact you? What problems will you solve for them? What are your features? In advertiser-speak, "What's the benefit?" I find touting freatures is particularly hard for women as many of us are taught to be modest and self-effacing. Men, on the other hand, need ot be careful that they don't come off as boasting.

But either way, by listing what you have to offer you are showing him or her what needs you can fulfiil, what problems you can solve. And by thinking of the other person's needs you are setting yourself apart from the other advertisers.

Maceves, you let your readers know that you are in good health and have health insurance: that's excellent.

2. Be a little quirky. The music industry did some research, and they found out that when some of the notes are slightly off  a song is more memorable. (Think of certain early Beatles songs such as "All You Need Is Love" to see that in aciton). Sounding perfect does not help your case. In fact, it can get in the way. Part of the reason does not apply to maceves ad: hookers are mostly no longer on street corners; they are on the internet, pretending to be women looking for a relationship. I cannot tell you how often I got the comment, "You sound like a real peson." As opposed to a lady with her "for rent" shingle out? I took that as a compliment, and maceves should too: she sounds real.

So put your odd quirks or silliness or weird little habits on display, in a humorous way. My ad that started, "She cooks, she cleans, she can spit a watermelon seed further than you can," is a good example.

Maceves. you do a lot of this with phrases like "Must not want to take all my worms fishing" and (regarding the bug out bag and bug out location), "You show me yours and I'll show you mine." Priceless.

3. Be brief. The main reason you write an ad like this is to start communitcating with a potential mate. Men reading the personals are reading ads by many other women, and they are looking for a reasons to cut the list of  potential mates down to manageable size. Like a hiring manager with 300 resumes of one job (mate), they are trying to pick a few people to conact (email or phone screening) and then one or two to interrview (date).

Too much detail in the original ad gives the reader more potenial reasons to put your relationship resume in the discard pile. Save a lot of the detail for the phone screening and more for the "interview." You up your odds that someone will respond if you make them ask for more informaiton.

Hope some of this helps.

Safewrite

maceves's picture
maceves
hmmm...

I wasn't really taking this assignment too seriously, but more to show how really bizarre a prepper's ad would be, but I'll think about that...

Travlin's picture
Travlin
Nailed it
safewrite wrote:

Maceves and anyone else reading this thread? A brief description of an effective online personals ad seems in order.

A personals ad is an advertisement; the wording is ad copy. I spent a great deal of time studying advertising, and it all boils down to some simple priciples.

See the post for the rest.  Travlin

Safewrite

You nailed it.  A professional copywriter couldn't have said it better.

Congratulations on your book too.  I bet I'd really enjoy reading it, but I'll have to take a pass.  I don't want to give my wife any ideas.  She still thinks I'm pretty special and I want to keep her in a delusional state. 

Travlin 

gregroberts's picture
gregroberts
 I do have operating a

I do have operating a wringer washer in my skill set....

Careful with that, my grandmother found out there's more to that old saying then just a descriptive one liner.

SocratesR's picture
SocratesR
stone age prepper

Reasonable demands! Well thought out. It looks like we share a decent experience in these matters.

I'm for preparing for something serious enough to wipe nearly all of our ancestors off the face of the Earth 13,000 years ago. I respect our ancestors; they were neither stupid, retarded,  nor suicidal. And that means that whatever keeps coming around will take SERIOUS action and not the 'limited cataclysm' take on things.

If you're up to that, visit teomcrote.co.nf and get in touch with me.

Thanks

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments