Logans Run...

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Logans Run...

This is something that I've built upon after reading through a comment by 'Dogs_In_A_Pile'.

I've always loved films, whether escapist or factual, as long as they make you think and, it made me remember going to the cinema when I was very young and being mesmerised by this one. A future and an ideal that was created from and embracing issues caused by my Generation X and the Baby Boomers before it.

A great deal happened to nudge the politics either side of 1976 when this film was first shown. After all, M.King.Hubbard had forcast the peak of oil production in 1970 in the USA - 1973 and the Saudi oil embargo had come and gone with reccession and The Six Day War - 1979 and Iranian meyhem (an American Blow Back from 1953?) were all causes and effects that helped President Carter advertise and show the benefits of solar panels on the roof of the White House in his administration. Elements such as Monsanto building assets in seed manipulation to the point where it now manufactures and sells variations worldwide that can actually self-terminate in one growing season, were still building other variations of weaponary for human control back then. Yet, when Reagan came to power and the solar panels were ripped off the roof of the White House, the lust for growth began in earnest and, the rest as they say, is history. We're now living in what John Perkins, author of 'The Secret History Of The American Empire', calls, a 'Corporatocracy' that pays and governs the Governments of the Globe.

Now, population is climbing through the roof, oil is in decline and the little boy who watched this film has grown up and is writing a link on a site that is telling an exponentially growing number of people here, that our way of life is unsustainable, with facts that can melt the frontal regions!! 

There are many people here who have ideas for our future plans with population grown out of control and, for me, I'd like to see how and in what way we can go forward in community without resorting to the main theme of Logans Run and how we can achieve that.

The introduction to the book states:

"The seeds of the Little War were planted in a restless summer during the mid-1960s, with sit-ins and student demonstrations as youth tested its strength. By the early 1970s over 75 percent of the people living on Earth were under 21 years of age. The population continued to climb — and with it the youth percentage.
In the 1980s the figure was 79.7 percent.
In the 1990s, 82.4 percent.
In the year 2000 — critical mass."

The film :-

Logans Run

...is most deffinately a talking point.

We're always being side-tracked by media in one sort or another. We're built on this pre-occupation here :-

...and the majority need this:-

...and this :-

...to while away the hours. We need stuff like that to keep us from going stir-crazy but, maybe a lot less of it. Maybe if we were being directed by media news with this :-

...and more people out there were as aware as this :-

...and we didn't have so much proof that government was being run like this :-

...We'd figure out that everyone is very similar, even though the mix is very much like this :-

This is a play on words and film. We can while away the hours but, our ideas need to bear fruit as quickly as we can, because I believe we're running out of time debating what action to take.

Paul

RubberRims's picture
RubberRims
Re: Logans Run...

Hi Paul,

I like your perspective here. You have a wide view point, It fills and depicts a picture of human consciousness. Besides Logan’s Run illustrated a gruesome truth. If ever society could be manipulated to think only what it could see feel and tuch, where would you begin to find the truth if it was hidden from plain view?

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

Hi R R,

I think I'm trying my best to depict something here. We're trying to get a grasp of the bigger picture here on CM, and we look at oil and money markets and the running down of all our known resources globally and there is a key to all of this thats starting to fit together in my mind but its struggling to come to the surface.

We have governments that walk into other countries with offers of monetary help, but in reality it is to gain control of those resources that country has, for free.

We have population booming globally and the reality of that cause is really the growth in those communities from cheaper trade in the short run of the last 40 years, which is unsustainable.

We have immigration quoters through the roof in America and the UK that have driven the economies in the good times and the wealth balances have grown for the few but, for the many and for the next five years, the majority are going to pay it back, with interest, with poverty and a massive drop in their standard of living.

I try to depict here what we do; what has been done to us as a western population that stops us from running out into the street and begining a take-over of the governments that say we voted 'Them' into power and assume control of the mess that 'They themselves began, but in reality, just the opposite is the case, with a large dose of apathy and defeat. These are the majorities I speak of.

Corporations are driving all of this created psychopathic madness and are using large gobbs of public relation and spin to hide the facts from you and I by constantly reciting mantras over and over again, until it starts sounding like we've cause all this and, we have in our own way, because if we didn't agree, we'd lose our freedom; whatever freedom we're really given.

I left school in the 80's, on a diet of American films that bred an idea of confidence and how life should be that did the greatest job of protecting me, and everyone around me, from the real facts. The facts that where I was well fed every day, 24,000 people died from starvation every day, in countries with strange names and traditions; traditions that were made more alien by those American movies and ideals. Ideals that have swamped those cultures, made them void in the few generations it took to wipe away what was left of their abilities to self sustain, import food that was cheaper than they could ever grow for themselves and debts that they would never afford to ever pay back.

All of this, every last nickle and dime that jingles in your pocket every day thats been put there with debt creation and control. That we the westerner could carry on benefiting from some foreigners struggle, a foreigner who carried a name we chose couldn't be pronounced; that foreigner who couldn't begin to relate to the grand scam that they were being destablised for. Because of a different religion that appeared violent and savage? Strangely, it never seemed to disuade corporations from entering into those exotic lands, and still doesn't.

The wars that are being fought on our behalf while we casually sit down for our evenings entertainment on the tube are sold to us as being for the good of the people, even for those being invaded. We sit in our computer chairs with our laptops infront of us and if we talk and talk and talk and justify all of these things that I've written above, it all seems O.K again; that we can create order from the madness by finding someone else who will nod in agreement or, disagree with you so you can be sidetracked for a while and forget why you even thought these thoughts.

Tomorrow we'll wake up to another diet of what one human being has the ability to do to another human being and we're sidetracked again because of the information overload of what is wrong with the life you lead and thought wasn't hurting anyone else and, how wrong can you be? But others around you are doing the same and that just seems to make it all O.K again.

What we should have been doing for all these years is living within the means for which we live. Looking after the ground around us and looking out for one another. But we've grown into individuals here on the back of oil. We close our doors on neighbors we've never introduced ourselves to and wonder why we live such lonely lives. We sit with our guilty cigarettes burning in our hands in smoke rooms filled with other silent people close by, each and every one of them busily texting others for the sake of texting them about subjects that are safe, never challenging them for fear of questioning. We drive our cars on our own with four empty seats and pass people walking. We give only to recieve, take without asking and assume others will pick up our mess.

Can I justify any of this mess? Well no I can't; not yet anyway, and I'll probably die trying.

Paul

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

...Let Me Clarify :-

Life And Debt - Jamaica

http://freedocumentaries.org/theatre.php?filmid=91&id=798&wh=1000x720

Paul

MarkM's picture
MarkM

Paul,

Thanks for the links.  The second video on "civilization" is perfect.

Rosemary Sims's picture
Rosemary Sims

While I am not able to view vids anymore on my lousy dial up, I feel compelled to respond from what I see between the lines of your post.

Paul, I believe that human life, where ever it exists, has elements of complete irreconciliation which oppose each other.  All of human society's basic institutions are created by humans, including morals, religion and most especially nationhood.  Humans are flawed by their very nature although I believe they are inspired by the divine, albeit being quickly corrupted by our very humanity (ego).  But interwoven throughout human history are a few basic truths that we have somehow not forgotten and that are repeated ad infinatum in every religion and moral code in the world if one looks for that commonality.  Yet somehow we forget them, don't we? As we play and fight on Shakespeare's stage seeking the place we already know.

One must always go back to the basic question of why we are here at all, at your level of high thinking.  Your signature says that you understand that but not the rest of the enigma, that human life is simply irreconciliable, and probably best viewed as a most interesting game in which we should fully partake.  Everything that does not return us to truth is simply a distraction.

Rosemary

Rosemary Sims's picture
Rosemary Sims

PS

I forgot to say that I've not been in a movie house since The Godfather, except once when I was kidnapped and taken to a matinee of Silence of the Lambs, and I haven't owned a TV since around 1970.   I haven't a clue what the title of this thread means and I do apologize for butting in!

Rosemary

RubberRims's picture
RubberRims
Rosemary Sims wrote:

One must always go back to the basic question of why we are here at all, at your level of high thinking.  Your signature says that you understand that but not the rest of the enigma, that human life is simply irreconciliable, and probably best viewed as a most interesting game in which we should fully partake.  Everything that does not return us to truth is simply a distraction.

Rosemary

A good point, why are we here? I would like to think for one very good reason, that we are the dominant species. Some historical subjects sell better than others, here on the other hand we have something no other creature on the face of this planet has. Nature, however, has done more for us. It is on the Human Race that she has lavished her most generous gifts. On no other creature in all the billions of years life has existed on this earth has Nature so generously dispensed as much INTELLIGENCE, CREATIVITY and PRODUCTIVITY AS SHE HAS ON THE Human Race in just the last instant of geologic time. No other creature has occupied such predominance, such exclusiveness, so much control over its own environment and the destiny of other creatures as has the Human Race in modern times. Without doubt, Nature has produced her highest creature, her Elite, with no near rivals. As with all other creatures, Nature has clearly told us, the following:

"What you do with your gifts and talents is strictly up to you. Whether you survive or not as a species is strictly up to you also. Whether you squander or abuse these precious gifts I have given you, that too is up to you. But I can promise you this: If you don't use these unusual attributes and advantages for your own survival and upgrading, I will relegate you too to the scrap heap of evolution. I am completely indifferent whether you survive or not".

The tragic fact of history in this last quarter of the twentieth century is that the Human Race is not using its precious gifts, its astounding advantages, its unique intelligence, for its own best interests. When we look at the multi-million year survival span of other species, unless we make amends the Human Race might have one of the shortest tenures in biological history.

RR

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

Rosemary and RR,

thankyou for your thoughtfulness, you've raised my spirits above and beyond because you've 'given this angel the weightlessness to fly' again. The tools were already in place but the passion to use them again somewhat corrupted...

I remembered an author I've loved for over 20 years called Jeannette Winterson and, a small piece of a delicious book she wrote called 'The Passion' expresses my feelings to both of you :-

" Do you ever think of your childhood?

I think of it when I smell porridge. Sometimes after I've been by the docks I walk into town and use my nose tracking fresh bread and bacon. Always, passing a particular house, that sits like the others in a sort of row, and is the same as them, I smell the slow smell of oats. Sweet but with an edge of salt. Thick like a blanket. I don't know who lives in the house, who is responsible, but I imagine the yellow fire and the black pot. At home we used a copper pot that I polished, loving to polish anything that would keep a shine. My mother made poridge, leaving the oats overnight by the old fire. Then in the morning when her bellows work had sent the sparks shooting up the chimney, she burned the oats at the sides, so that the sides were like brown paper lining the pot and inside slopped white over the edge.

We trod on flag floor but in the winter she put down hay and the hay and the oats made us smell like a manger.

Most of my friends ate hot bread in the morning.

I was happy but happy is an adult word. You don't have to ask a child about happy, you see it. They are or they are not. Talking about it is the same as trying to catch the wind. Much easier to let it blow all over you. This is where I disagree with the philosophers. They talk about passionate things but there is no passion in them. Never talk happiness with a philosopher.

But I'm not a child anymore and often the Kingdom of Heaven eludes me too. Now, words and ideas will always slip themselves inbetween me and the feeling. Even our birthright feeling, which is to be happy.

This morning I smell the oats and I see a little boy watching his reflection in a copper pot he's polished. His father comes in and laughs and offers him his shaving mirror instead. But in the shaving mirror the boy can only see his face. In the pot he can see all the distortions of his face. He sees many faces and so he sees what he might become. "

Paul

RubberRims's picture
RubberRims
Vanityfox451 wrote:

'The Passion' expresses my feelings to both of you :-

" Do you ever think of your childhood?

I was happy but happy is an adult word. You don't have to ask a child about happy, you see it.

But I'm not a child anymore and often the Kingdom of Heaven eludes me too. Now, words and ideas will always slip themselves inbetween me and the feeling. Even our birthright feeling, which is to be happy.

This morning I smell the oats and I see a little boy watching his reflection in a copper pot he's polished. His father comes in and laughs and offers him his shaving mirror instead. But in the shaving mirror the boy can only see his face. In the pot he can see all the distortions of his face. He sees many faces and so he sees what he might become. "

Paul

Hi Paul

I now work with IT and technology every day of my life. A part of me is intertwined with it, I know where it came from and from whom it came. We are all just a fragment of our past family desires and unhealthy dark secrets. Yet it amazes me how literature has the power to bind people. From pen to paper, fingers to plastic. Looking at the world it is almost in complete uni-sen with what is happening around us.  

I have enjoyed reading your posts and find them stimulating. The more the mind develops it's awareness of human nature the more the world becomes a simple place to live in. How wonderfull it must have once been to live in a free world.      

Thanks

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Life Is But A State Of Mind...

RR,

But as of what we once were, through age, we are a parody of ourselves; a collection of beliefs and extremes that are put there by experiences. It can be a comedy of errors we can look upon and delight, or a nightmare of horrors we cannot wake from - plucked from some celestial fires or left to burn. Human nature applauds flying too close to the sun. While his distraction is complete, finds the ground below his feet, is many more fathoms than he chose to fall. Offer a hand and he may well refuse; his joy and his fear are his entwined spirit. There is no saving the poor beast, for many brothers will take his place, on the long track home...

There is no place to hide from the self; there are no corners or spirals of the mind so strong. They only lead you back from where your journey first began. Lonely and discontented lives are such travesty. I choose to join the human race; cross the finish line with the brightest light, and then...silence...

A masonic eye is not the key -The key is the ability to walk on water. If only you didn't know you couldn't. Two thousand years of followers would usher another autistic to fulfill their ideals - What must fill the void? 'Chance' the gardener

Being There 

Cryptically, 

Paul

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments