Locations for Sustainable life

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
aarondenal's picture
aarondenal
Locations for Sustainable life

Hello all,

I have been inspired by a very recent post by rhare, more specifically by some of the responses to it.  Some of the folks were throwing out their ideas of great places to form a "post peak" community with other like-minded folks.  This is a topic near and dear to me and I would like to open it up to everyone by asking two questions:

1. In an ideal world, what does your living situation look like?  What are your biggest priorities for a geographical "wish list" including specifics (size, demographics, terrain, weather, etc)

2.  If you have been able to find some places that are close to your ideals, where are these places located?  Pictures would be great.

I do know that there are some non-US folks here so please be specific about the country.

Pops's picture
Pops
Re: Locations for Sustainable life

When we relocated we were as open as we thought possible, but we came from the west where it is dry and will probably get dryer, we didnt want to go to the east where it's crowded and just getting crowed-er so that left the middle. Here were our approximate criteria:

20+ acres of good soil 35" or more rain - east of the "tree line" - close to the 200-day growing line - away from large populations - cheap enough we could pay cash... oh, and I can't forget, my wife demanded an old 2-story house :^) 

We landed in SW Missouri on 40 acres. We aren't in the rocky woods, more on the plateau, we have some pretty nice silty-loam soil, rock free down 18-24". For an independent Peaker, Mo is perfect, good little farms can be found at a reasonable price ($2-3k/ac) because the terrain in many place doesn't lend itself to big acreage and the exurb movement didn't get as far as in other places. The rural counties don't have lots of regulations, property tax is low for now and if you know how to get along the people are wonderful.

The downside: The weather here is super variable, this is guns and Bible country - you don't need to be that sort but if you are extremely rigid in your beliefs you might have a problem fitting in, and though there are jobs, it ain't the big city!

Here is a cross-post about MO I wrote for another board:

We sold out in CA and moved to SW MO at the end of '04 at the time everyone had decided real estate would always appreciate and flipping houses would always make money - it was the "peak" of the economy in central California and everyone wanted to know why we were selling out to move to a little farm in the Ozarks when life in CA was so good and always would be. 

Just like peak oil is so hard to grasp and deal with because more oil is flowing at that time than any time before or after: in '04-'05 it was so good economically that no one though it would end.

Home prices there are now down 75% from the peak and unemployment is around 22% and I'm not sure what I'd be doing for a living now because my little B2B gig would certainly be gone as would my home, savings and probably possessions. We were lucky enough to be able to buy a little place outright but my income also dropped from around $100k in '03 to around $16k in '08 & '09 - I had planned to need less, that was uncomfortably less but we survived and did better last year. 

There are homes around here you can buy for the price of a used car - this little house on one acre is $10,500.

This one is on 5 acres - big enough for a couple of goats or maybe a small cow - $17,500

Employment around here doesn't pay a lot but these places are an easy commute to Springfield or Joplin MO while the commuting lasts. With either of these little places you don't need rent money and you shouldn't need a whole lot of grocery money if you are willing to grow a garden and preserve what you grow, raise a couple of chickens and a nanny goat - no matter the economy. If you can figure out some way to work from home you're golden.

My point is, if you wait, I believe things will eventually get worse and you will then have no options. I'm just some guy on the internet so don't mind me but don't fool yourself into thinking there are no options.

Romans12.2's picture
Romans12.2

We are 45 miles outside of DetroitFrown but own a thriving business.  We bought a junky $50,000 farm, on 40acres, 3hrs North.  Our plan if things stay as they are is to visit it occasionally to snowmobile, ski, camp etc.  Maybe leave some storage food and supplies this summer if we feel like the neighbor/security factor is ok. 

Our plan if Detroit falls apart - is to pack our rv, grab the kids, chickens and dogs, and 18ft enclosed trailer and high tail it up to farm.

We are torn, our home here is on 5 acres, huge garden and we love it.  Just too close to the city.

If I could go anywhere it would be to the Upper Penninsula.  We could have bought a beautiful house on 35 acres with a river running through....but my husband is afraid they will close down the Mackinac bridge.  If I lived in the U.P. thats what I would want to do!

Tycer's picture
Tycer

Small scale agricultural community that's historically poor with plenty of running water, rain and farmland. Appalachia fits.

rmurfster's picture
rmurfster

http://www.survivalrealty.com/

ljhaines's picture
ljhaines

This might be a good place to ask if there is anyone in the Houston, TX area that would like to get together to discuss 3E's and the aftermath. I don't think I'll be moving to the Detroit area any time soon (not that it isn't a nice place you understand Wink

Nate's picture
Nate

*small town with a diversified agriculture base

*at least 50 miles from a large population center

*wide variety of plant and animal farms (not trying to be punny) to provide diversity in the event of a single (or more severe) failure

*good soil and water resourses (rain or gravity fed irrigation)

*HYDROELECTRIC power available

*warm weather (not nearly enough wood to keep the masses warm)

*lean towards Washington, Oregon, and California (I know there are problems with Ca, but it is a balancing act)

*locals that have held property 2 or more generations for stability  (makes it real tough to buy, though)

*Strong moral values (don't want to offend anyone, but you get what I mean)

Nate 

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M

Nate (or any other PNW folks),

Watch out for Oregon - especially S. Oregon - Klamath Falls just had a big issues over water rights, and the people "lost".
Sorry for the ambiguity, but it shouldn't be hard to find details. It's something I only gave a cursory glance because it basically has all the criteria you listed. 

I'm in the Portland Area and there are definite advantages to living around here. One of these days, we'll have to have a CM meetup for the PNW folks.

Cheers,

Aaron

Nate's picture
Nate

Aaron,

Thanks for the heads up.  Water rights are a huge issue in California (current home).  I lived in Eugene some time ago and thought the climate, agriculture, water, and abundance of small towns made it a decent choice.  I've only heard great things about Portland.

Nate

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

I HATE  Earthquakes !!!!   Even 5.0    makes me panic .   You might want to   check the fault lines  when you go to choose  locations .   

FM .

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M

Nate,

Portland is a unique city and definitely has a lot of good qualities. Relatively low population, lots of water and the outlaying land is highly agricultural. It's a port city, so access to the sea is available, and even in a pinch, the Columbia is a waterway that could act as a thoroughfare for agricultural goods from the Eastern side of WA/OR - if they can beat the easy oil blues.

I prefer to be a bit outside the city, and the Columbia River Gorge is one of the most beautiful places in the world:

Nice hot summers, cold, snowy winters. 
Definitely not the most hospitable place, but it keeps the knuckleheads out.
Cost is really the ultimate issue - the economy out here is gawd-awful, and land is at a premium. Hard place to settle into with sustainability in mind for under $3-400,000 + whatever additional costs you incur on energy independence. 

PS - I've been in WA most of my life and only been through two earthquakes that even warranted consideration. Little shakes happen from time to time, but I felt as many in MO. 

Cheers,

Aaron 

Foster's picture
Foster

Life in the remote areas whare there is very little human life will be an ideal place for  me to live.The farm house is the perfect place to be and i find your farm house quite interesting.Only some details are missing please give some more pictures and if it is possible to make video of your farm house then it would be great.

Foster's picture
Foster

Life in the remote areas whare there is very little human life will be an ideal place for  me to live.The farm house is the perfect place to be and i find your farm house quite interesting.Only some details are missing please give some more pictures and if it is possible to make video of your farm house then it would be great.

BabaOreally's picture
BabaOreally
Ozarks Land

For people who might be interested in a location that is a bit different, but lovely and defintely worth the investment try:

www.harmonyintheozarks.com

ao's picture
ao
woof-woof-woof ... woof-woof-woof ... woof-woof-woof ...
BabaOreally wrote:

For people who might be interested in a location that is a bit different, but lovely and defintely worth the investment try:

The big question, the really big question is: "What do you do about barking dogs?".  Not the occasional communication or alarm barkers (which are fine in my book) but the incessant, never stop, my-owner-is-a-seemingly-deaf-and-or-inconsiderate-individual-allowing-me-to-do-this-24/7 barking?

doorwarrior's picture
doorwarrior
Skokomish farms

40 acres with running  water

small comfy home with huge basement

tight community

huge garden, its sooo hard to grow food in Vegas( but we manage lol)

woodlot

This looks like a good location but a little pricey. I like the way everyone 's homes are on 5 acre parcels, plenty of room but still close enough for neighbors. They have a good plan for the land with plenty of water rights. If anybody has heard of this place please let me know.  We are going to visit here this summer while we are searching for a place.

http://www.skokomishfarms.com/growgreener.html

Rich

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M
Rich, Are you in the Pacific

Rich,

Are you in the Pacific Northwest???

Aaron

doorwarrior's picture
doorwarrior
Las Vegas

Currently I live in Las Vegas, I moved here for the rock climbing 12 years agoLaughing.  I am wanting to move my family move out your way. I am not really specific about a location yet, just trying to find the right place. I really like the Idaho, Oregon and Washington(no income tax) area. I have spent the last couple of years looking  but I have also been waiting for prices to come down, which they have so far but  I think time is running short. We are spending about a month traveling the coast this July and August looking for a community to move to and thats how I found Skokomish Farms.

Rich

BabaOreally's picture
BabaOreally
There are rules for that.

There are rules for that. Everyone is responsible for thier own animals, and if an animal becoes a nuisance, then that owner has to deal with it. Neighborliness and mutual respect is encouraged.is encouraged

Also, there are cyotes that sometimes make a racket at night . . nothing to do about that.

BabaOreally's picture
BabaOreally
 This is an incredibly

This is an incredibly beautiful place. Peaceful. Remote. Safe.

ao's picture
ao
BabaOreally wrote: There are
BabaOreally wrote:

There are rules for that. Everyone is responsible for thier own animals, and if an animal becoes a nuisance, then that owner has to deal with it. Neighborliness and mutual respect is encouraged.is encouraged

Also, there are cyotes that sometimes make a racket at night . . nothing to do about that.

The questions which then naturally arises include:  Who makes the rules?  Who enforces the rules?  What happens if the the rule breaker doesn't comply?

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
The questions which then

The questions which then naturally arises include:  Who makes the rules?  Who enforces the rules?  What happens if the the rule breaker doesn't comply?

I make the rules damn it!

You! Stand over there. And you, lean against that tree.

ao's picture
ao
Johnny Oxygen wrote: The
Johnny Oxygen wrote:

I make the rules damn it!

You! Stand over there. And you, lean against that tree.

Yes, sir!

ao's picture
ao
full fledged small farm up for sale

This couple is, unfortunately, going their separate ways and have their farm up for sale.  They have put a tremendous amount of work into it.  We know them only in passing but everything they do is quality.  I'd be interested in it myself but it's less land than I want and I'm not interested in a pre-existing house.

http://www.dancingcranefarm.com/

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments