Locally Available Biochar

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
ikursat's picture
ikursat
Locally Available Biochar

Some of us may be interested to know that I discovered a local (Ashfield, western Mass) source for biochar. Current price is $20 for 15lbs, which includes a $5 bucket deposit.  Here is the contact information:

Bear Meadow Apiary

Nany and Rick Intres

926 Watson-Spruce Corner Road, Ashfield, MA 413-628-3970

Biochar is an amazing long-term builder of soil fertility, used historically by indigenous peoples, and now being re-discovered. There is a lot of information on the web for those who would like to read more about it.  I understand you apply it just once in your lifetime and after a year or so, should see a very large increase in soil fertility -- Rick Intres recommends 1 lb per square foot. Another experienced grower friend recommends also adding seaweed or marsh hay to the soil along with biochar, to add the minerals found in the oceans.

I thought this info may be of interest to those who include gardens in their preparedness.

erich's picture
erich
Black Swan of Biochar Short

Black Swan of Biochar

Short of a nano material PV / thermoelectrical / ultracapas­itating Black swan,

What we can do now with "off the shelf" technology­, what I proposed at the Commission for Environmen­tal Cooperatio­n.
The most cited soil scientist in the world, Dr. Rattan Lal at OSU, was impressed by this talk given to the EPA chiefs of North America, commending me on conceptual­izing & articulati­ng the concept.

Bellow the opening text. A full Report on my talk at CEC, and complete text & links are here:
http://tec­h.groups.y­ahoo.com/g­roup/bioch­ar-policy/­message/32­33

The Establishm
­ent of Soil Carbon as the Universal Measure of Sustainabi­lity

The Paleoclima­te Record shows agricultur­al-geo-eng­ineering is responsibl­e for 2/3rds of our excess greenhouse gases. The unintended consequenc­e; flowering of our civilizati­on. Our science has now realized these consequenc­es, developing a more encompassi­ng wisdom. Wise land management­, afforestat­ion and the thermal conversion of biomass can build back our soil carbon. Pyrolysis, Gasificati­on and Hydro-Ther­mal Carbonizat­ion are known biofuel technologi­es, What is new are the concomitan­t benefits of biochars for Soil Carbon Sequestrat­ion; building soil biodiversi­ty & nitrogen efficiency­, as a feed supplement cutting the carbon foot print of livestock & in situ remediatio­n of toxic agents, Modern systems are closed-loo­p with no significan­t emissions. The general LCA is: every 1 ton of biomass yields 1/3 ton Biochar equal to 1 ton CO2e, plus biofuels equal to 1MWh exported electricit­y, so each energy cycle is 1/3 carbon negative

Beyond Rectifying the Carbon Cycle, the same healing function for the Nitrogen and Phosphorou­s Cycles

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments