localized farming

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
cmollerjr's picture
cmollerjr
localized farming

Community farming requires strong local communities. These structures may not be formed fast enough. Can someone help me find out if anyone is working on trying to get through to their churches. I know this is not easy but it may become nessissary to use existing community groups to move fast enough. Religious leaders are't crazy just misled as we once were. They have skills and a tentative audience.

Amanda V's picture
Amanda V
Re: localized farming

Crikey cmollerjr, I think you are walking on thin ice if regligeous leaders are to start preaching about peak oil and other E's.  They are there to preach about religeon and I think many  in the church will get resentful hearing that challenging information.

Best way to get through to church people is to invite some around to your house for a CC showing, or some other video of inspiration - there are plenty out there.  A farm for the future is a good one too but there are many many many.

Christopher H's picture
Christopher H

I believe that the best way to deal with these kinds of issues is through two means -- first, your own example; second, by capitalizing on whatever structures/organizations are already existing.

Do you grow a garden?  Do you share extra produce with your neighbors?  Do you ever broach the idea of helping them to get a little plot started if they mention some kind of interest?  Personally, I find extra produce from my garden to be an excellent conversation starter, as well as a means to barter with my neighbors for the purpose of borrowing things I might need.  With one particular neighbor across the road who has a mother lode of tools and such, I make sure I go out and pick a few tomatoes or a nice bag of greens before heading over.

With another friend who has expressed repeated interest in getting a garden going, I have volunteered an afternoon of time and my Mantis cultivator to help get a bed or two started.

Are there any smaller-scale farms already operating in your area?  Localharvest.org might be a good place to look.  Chances are there are already some people working on this issue around you in some way, and they might have more developed ideas for spreading the word.  A good way of dealing through a church -- and it probably helps if you're a member -- is to just try and link those local food producers with things the church already does.  For instance, instead of getting pastries from Wal Mart for the coffee hour, get them from a local baker.  For church dinners, source the ingredients from local farms as much as possible as opposed to the grocery store.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head....

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater

Mr Gektech and I are checking out a local grain silo we found by googling; it's about five miles from our bugout place (big farming family homestead) and 60 miles from home. The shipping cost on our deep larder about killed us: nearly half. So we want to see if they have a minimum order at the silo. If they will sell to us, how would we pick up the grain?  Pickup truck and food-safe tarp? Bags? Buckets?

If you are anywhere near farming you might want to see if something similar is available in your area. I will let you know what we discover.

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

Most of the churches here in our area  have been left farms from peoples Wills .  They hire some  of the  church members to do the work ,   The money or the crops  suports the pastor and  goes back into the local  food pantry or sent overseas to feed people.   Oh my  the ones in our church that  run a dairy have sooo much to give  and it employs many of the church folks to run it .   Some  are  bee keepers , some the gardeners , goat keeper , Many raise grain and cattle .  Each one  stays independently owned  but locally supported .

I did try to get our church to dig up twenty acres  of the land in town, that the church sits on , to plant an orchard .  It takes them forever to make decisions .... almost like an act of congress .  But they will come around soon I am sure . If not I plan on having enough planted here at home .

We do have a couple of small bankers and  they taught the Dave Ramsey course of No Debt . Oh My these families go home every night and right down what they spend to the dime !      As a principle the Bibles teaching is to be wise stewards of all that is here but some have been tempted and drawn into the world .    So I say if you are lead .. go for it .      Like Amanda said you  could start with having over  a few.   We have regular get together dinners to discuss how plans are going .     Smaller  independent churches like ours will be much easier to organize and reach ,but if you are not in leadership in your church or are a part of a  Mega church  it will be easier to do as   Musings suggested .  Also if you are in a Huge church you may want to start small  groups and keep quiet  until you are well established  .. as people will be like  the rest  of the world and come knocking on your door if they get hungry .    There are sure to be grasshoppers among the ants .

We also get into leadership of the local  councils, school boards  and organizations ... you can  live and promote the ideas and lifestyle without tooting the horn or sounding preachy and pushy .

Our teaching yesterday was on Labor day and how if we do not work we do not eat . My 6 year old grandson  said afterward " no work no peanut butter and elderberry jelly! "      No one needs be ashamed if they do good honest work  ,we are grateful that of the 126 church  families  everyone has employment .  We support each others business..    Our  Dr. , Dentist , Lawyer , mechanic  etc.  All get our business .  We are a church community  ...We are a part of and support our local community outside the church  and then beyond .

It all starts at home then  church  then reach out  get the local community established!  Today  is the best time to get started !    If you allow your home to be destroyed  your foundation will crumble and you will not be able to build anything .  

FM

Juli B's picture
Juli B

Hello all,

Great ideas here and I LOVE reading Full Moon's description of her church community...feels like community right down to the toes.

Regarding linking up church with community farming, a number of years ago in the St. Paul/Minneapolis area, there was at least one church (pretty sure it was Lutheran) who used a congregation-supported agriculture model. They paired up with a local CSA-type farm and bought a number of shares. They then used this food to create and serve up a simple supper once a week for single parents in their neighborhood. They offered free childcare and this not only supported a local farmer, it provided a wholesome evening meal and "night out" for many single parents who otherwise might not have been able to afford it. All while serving their mission.

I'd love to see this idea picked up and grown in different places.

best,

Juli

EndGamePlayer's picture
EndGamePlayer

I agree- work with what's available!

I joined the local farmer's market and showed some a few videos of peak oil and CM and they really appreciated it. I was invited to a local "go green" bs group who's meeting was more like that of lady's church meeting than a proactive group. . . none of which had heard of peak oil, over population, growth as a problem or resource scarity.  These are the people who need to be reached as they come to realize the message of sustainablity is not just a fashionable thing - we have No Choice!

Juli B's picture
Juli B

Safewrite,

If they sell food-grade grain (triple-cleaned and number one quality), you can probably get them to sell it to you in 50-60 pound bags. You'll probably have to pay a bagging fee since it's not being sold bulk out of the bin. Otherwise, it's a great idea. My husband and I ran numbers and I encouraged him to go ahead and plant a number of acres of organic winter wheat this fall...I suspect if we get a decent harvest, it will go to good use next summer.-- juli

Jager06's picture
Jager06

I have worked with a local church who has completely gone over towards prepping. They are meeting outside of the church, once a month. Each member now takes a turn giving a "class" based on their own research to the group. So far we have covered how to get out of debt (with a large dose of Dave Ramsey), how to build a PLAN for sustainability as individuals, families and the community at large, identification of needs vs. wants, maslows hierarchy of needs, prioritizing purchases (the rule of three, 3 minutes without air, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food) and energy consumption and production options.

Obviously we cannot do much about air quality, so it is a moot point. We have coordinated bulk purchase discount purchases for hand pumps for those members who have wells, water filters were recently purchased for those with less reliable sources. We have secured bulk purchase discounts for food storage, and are currently doing our large scale gardening experiments. We are also working our energy needs and exploring options with gasification, solar, hydro, wind and limited use of recycled oil products (like using used motor oil as a fuel for older donkey engines).

As for farming, we are doing most ourselves. The local CSA has not returned my phone calls, although we do have a vibrant local farmers market.

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

I do have to tell you there are those among us that are totally clueless ..     "Oh cute shoes !!"  or " do you want to  join the Harley for Jesus  club ?"    And there are those that will climb out of their tractor and hop into their air plane and fly off to  Chicago for coffee .  BUT  more  are noticing the change , joining the prep and then Others fighting the truth all the way  .    Some people just do not hear . No need to stir some things up .  I do not tell the Dr. we do not get immunizations  nor do I tell the Pharmacist he is a drug pusher .  When they are ready they will come around . Even they asked if my kids will make them some rain barrels .   Milk for some people, Meat for others.  No organization is perfect because there are no perfect people .

I talked with the lady who runs the food pantry today she said the number of families coming in a qualifying for food has doubled this year . Even in our area that is supposed to be low unemployment .   She asks where the people are coming from and they tell her that there is word that there is work here . Anyway she said most people do not come back for many months so they must be taking the jobs that are available .

FM

cmollerjr's picture
cmollerjr

Thanks, Juli. This is the kind of stuff I was looking for. If churches do start to come around were talking about hundreds of poeple at a time instead of singles or tens. I know poeple can get a little over passionate about religion on blogs but we are begining to run out of time. The lifestyles of most Chistians and Jews (including myself) looks alot like worshiping a golden calf. I have been trying to find out what this country is up to for many years and Confronting Collapse finally got through to me recently. Then this site made sence of it all. I'm going to do more resurch on St. Paul/Minniapolis churches.

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson

Didn't Jesus pick his own corn on the sabbath? He was by modern deifinitions both a bad Jew and a poor Christian.

"God made man in His image. Man's been returning the favor ever since." Pascal?

robie

Jager06's picture
Jager06

Not sure what that has to do with getting small groups of people who already inherantly trust each other to develop sustainable practices.

Was that a general statement on your views towards Judeo/Christian beliefs? Or is there a tidbit there that will help spread the 3Es to people that I am missing?

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
Re: localized farming/ other ways to share ?

Robie ,  Over my head for sure .  My two favorite words Mercy and Grace  !       But I did read  that the farmers were told to leave grain along the edges so that the  needy people who were able could go out and  work to pick  it up .  They were not told to harvest it and deliver it to the people . So someone in the family unit was to go do the work .

Getting the word out  should work for any organization , fellowship, or what ever other people call their meeting place of trusted people with like beliefs in common  .     Very few go to church so we probably will not be spreading the word to much there.   But  Jager is right it is a great place because of the trust and fellowship .  SO where else do people  go where everyone knows all about you ?  The local coffee shop on a rainy day,  beauty shop.. word would spread like wild fire !

Maybe if we whispered and acted like it was a guarded secret  ?    Works for my kids !   Go underground and even the big wigs will be searching .   Really   how big of a circle of friends does any one  person have ?   Three truly  trusted ones in your inner circle , 12-15  that you get together with for socializing and share with . Probably less than a thousand that you know by name and their families .

So it probably has to work like one of those pyramid things...    you tell a few and they tell their few and  it spreads out .   Trouble is no one will hear until they are darn well  ready .  Then they will come and ask you .   I know this works .. a young gal stopped me at the store today and offered me cucumbers if I would bring her some grapeleaves for her pickles .   It took an hour of garden talk and I got her whole story know where she is at in the belief of the 3 E's  what are her gifts and how prepared they might be . I now know they have a mill to make wood boards from felled logs . People are very happy to share .     I  planted a seed of her checking things out and joining in on prepping .  

You have to be out in the community that you love so that they know you  are trustworthy and respected . You can not go up to people cold turkey except  to drop a few hints .

SOOOO .  Get your three trusted and start there .    

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson

Sorry folks, esp. Jager06, I've found the fundamentalist christian community to be unreceptive to the "3 E's", at least hiding behind a Calvinistic view that God will take care of those He chooses in the end. My poor attitude to these my neighbors and family reflected in my post. Too, they have tended to expect "us farmers" to give whatever excess to them who could,if it weren't for their poor view, be capable of self provision.

In short, I've found much of the mainstream Christian community to be the worst abusers of Ecology and Energy, i do grant the study results are held by only one,myself, and that alone should get it booted.

Robie,  Willing to help those in the CM community who live in the southcentral part of Virginia with farming, gardening of a more environmentally friendly nature

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson

opps,

There was once a thread for people who were disheartened with those around them who did not care to hear of the "CC".; All my posts in this farming thread should have gone there. I dont know how to move 'em

robie, husband,father,farmer,optometrist

Jager06's picture
Jager06

I agree with Robie. I have had similar problems with explaining myself to others as well. It came down to me educating myself to speak to them on their terms to change some minds. In other circumstances it was a single person who approached me after the presentation, that in turn got everyone else motivated. That was what happened with the local Jewish Messianic Church.

Another angle for the 3-E and prep might be to circumvent the disaster and to promote the healthy living aspect of the self sufficiency by using data from GMO testing and other unhealthy, possibly disastrous farming practices.

There is always an angle, it just means you have find out what is important to the listener and tell the story in those terms.

Best of luck!

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

Robie  and Jager ,    Sorry that your friends and neighbors are  not practicing what they preach  :(   happens everywhere  and every faith .   You are not alone in your disheartedness .     Not the fellowship for you I am sure .    I am sure you will be their to educate them one by one when their time comes . No one is perfect and   many only do what they are told .  My husband tells me to use the grocery shopping method every time we go to church ... Do not buy everything in the store .  Read for your self because people make mistakes .

Do not lump us  all together  or loose heart here .  Please !     

FM

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

Back to localized farms .   I was very excited  today as I took the back roads to the kids music lessons .  Every single homestead had a nice garden !  I notice more and more in town also .   The farmers market has more vendors and people buying !   Our grocery store called and wanted to know if we had some extra produce to bring in to sell .     I am amazed at the $$ people will pay for banana bread !  Oh and the older people will buy those tiny  loaves .  Two little ladies started their own business making pies and it has grown so big .. to big  : (  they now ship pies in 150 mile radius . 

Some farmers have even been bringing in special butters and cheeses  they have made.   .  Local raised beef is being advertised for sale  in the local paper .   The grocery store also buys it and butchers it for their meat section .The organic grain farmers are getting better at working with the local people .   The advantage of the small areas is you only need to ask 4 people and you will find the resource that you need .  Bonus is we have a "Party Line".. you call into the local radio station and advertise what you want to buy or sell  and they have an hour set aside everyday  for this .  The extension agent  will have an add about when it is time to do certain things ( not organic advice unfortunately ) . 

I see horses in many  pastures .. I am betting they will be a bugger to train , but they are here .   We got a new harness maker move into the area .

Keep trying  to make  changes in the corner of where you live  to fit what you want .   

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
robie robinson wrote:

Didn't Jesus pick his own corn on the sabbath? He was by modern deifinitions both a bad Jew and a poor Christian.

"God made man in His image. Man's been returning the favor ever since." Pascal?

AMAZING what people can believe.......  there's no way Jesus could've picked corn, it wasn't "discovered" by Europeans until Columbus crossed the Atlantic!

Mike

ejanea's picture
ejanea

All grains were called "corn" in past times.... in England anyway.

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson

and the "King James Version" of the bible was written by who as a people? Sounds like the french :)  Having grown more "ear" corn than 98.8% of the american population who is alive, i'm fully aware that a simple low gluten grain was what Jesus gathered on the sabbath. It's the sabbath gathering that is the issue.

How does one open the eyes of people who shun knowledge? Isn't this the "Big" question?

Robie

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson

oops again,

I'm in general awe of both the time to post/read and the effiecient minds present on this site. This is esp. true of DTM.

Robie, here to feed alot of folk when neccessary and b/c of that fact a poor "E" communicator, gotta alota hay in the barns today

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

What kind of hay gets put up this time of year in your area ? Alfalfa ?     Hope you got enough to get you through the winter .    It is corn harvest time here...    Milo  and soybeans soon .

We can not open the eyes of those who do not want to see nor hear .    And  a whole lot of people have head knowledge  but they  can not get it down into their heart .  They are so busy doing what they think is right but in the wrong spirit .    I have a hard time keeping any hope for the majority  who harden their conscience  with greed , selfishness, and self-righteousness .  Even those near and dear to me . It is just so easy to go with the flow and be deceived .    Those that wait until  the shit hits the fan  will blame someone else or look for help from anyone who offers them a deal .   They will be grasping at anything to get their [email protected]@ out of trouble .   They might find they have been deceived and still be too proud to admit they were wrong .

Oh what a surprise there will be for many people .  Those that are full of pride and  above getting down and dirty  will soon be groveling.     

Really  I can  only can answer for my own self  , whether  my own heart be pure . I  must keep doing what I  know is right .   Do it in the spirit of Love and do not seek to please men .          I  full well know this...  Whatsoever a man soweth , that shall he reap also .  

I have found myself cursing Eve so many times when  I am pulling weeds and even once during labor .  But then I have to laugh  to myself .. I would probably have beat her to the tree .

Blahblah  blah ....  bottom line is ....   I am so glad people did not give up hope on me.  SO.... I guess I had better keep looking for those that want to hear .

FM

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

geez  I get side tracted .    I meant to tell about a few local farmers that  I talked to at the coop,  they are about as hard to reach as anybody .    SO stuck in their farming practices  that they have no interest in changing .   So wrapped up in Govt. programs and using chemical that they think they are smarter than anyone who might want to go more natural or organic .    I am happy that there are no chemicals used within miles of my place but  how frustrating for those who have people spraying right up to  their property line .  One guy close to town has been farming closer and closer to their neighbor and even crossed the line .. OOPs .   My dad had his neighbors spray drift and ruin his fruit trees .   This does not make for  loving thy neighbor relationships Frown

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater

Juli B -

Thanks for suggesting a "bagging fee" - it made me sound less clueless when I called the grain silo. They have EVERYTHING! Corm wheat, soybeans, you name it. Some are "feed grade," which I might want if we get chickens as planned,  and some are the really nice triple-cleaned stuff you suggested. They are open on Saturdays and right near relatives we visit every couple of months. Local! No more shipping fees and no big carbon footprint! Yay!

EndGamePlayer's picture
EndGamePlayer
Full Moon wrote:

My dad had his neighbors spray drift and ruin his fruit trees .   This does not make for  loving thy neighbor relationships Frown

I couldn't figure out what happened to our trees this year since they started out so good (second year) and then they started looking really bad - loosing leaves, browning. I thought I had deficit soil so added boron and iron.

Turns out - the gmo corn farmer sprayed chemicals and we lost 90% of the 300 we planted. I can't make a claim as rumor has it - his wife threw him in jail and the bank re-po'd his tractor so he's got nothing . . but the corn sitting in the field.

I'm looking a for a border plant to grow along the field before I start replacing them.

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

EGP ,  that makes me sick  .    Sit down and cry  kind of sick .  

FM

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

Any luck on reaching any people this week  ?      Our s/s class went  straight to the fact that the Americas are not mentioned in the end times .  And to  the  verses that Israel will find hidden treasures . Well if natural gas and oil are considered hidden treasure ( I would think so )  this last week has been a boom for them .   We can be watching them more closely .

But back to what can we do here (USA ) ?   It was mentioned that we see things out of our control  but must vote and and try to change things but to advance our preps by getting more emergency prepared and ready in our mindsand hearts  that this could be for a very long time .

Empires come and go . People live through slavery ,serfdom , what ever we are calling the fact.

I had a man come up to me at the soccer game yesterday and ask if i thought it would be best for him to finish out his military career ( six years  ) .  It has been very  hard on his family .  His orchard goes to pot each time he has to go overseas and he is not sure we will be getting our retirement checks .What a dilemma  everyone is it . These young people do not know which way to go .   We do not know which way to go !    

I know we are the simple people back here .  Not many  have extra  $$ to worry about where to invest .   I do not know who all reads these posts because many many do not share their thoughts   but if  pure numbers it is to reach the lower class is growing by the moment . 

We pick up more and more hitchhiking on the road , I picked up one gal , come to find out my brother had picked her up later and took her further down the road . ( my daughter call us bleeding hearts )  There are more hitching on the rail .  Winter is coming and my husband is not looking forward to finding them frozen on the train . 

Some locals in our area have put produce on a table on  the street and a coffee can for donations .  How wonderful is this!

Please people do not give up on your preps and be there when the topics comes up .  I  don't think we have to be pushy , nor should we be calling people stupid who just could not see and had too much trust in the ones they voted for to do what is best for all . We were all blind at one point .

FM

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
Re: localized farming/ problems arise

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/georgia-man-steve-miller-fined-for-backyard-garden-in-cabbagegate-saga/19633544

Oh Boy  ,  a person can't win .

FM

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments