Local Currency

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
V's picture
V
Local Currency

In my explorations into local currency systems I came across this website

jaspersbox.com

I have not delved too deeply into it yet but it seemed interesting and worthy of discussion on this site.

All feedback welcome

V

deggleton's picture
deggleton
Re: Local Currency

I'll start by recommending, as a reliable source of info/education, the E. F. Schumacher Society, which midwifed Berkshares in far western Massachusetts.

Carl Veritas's picture
Carl Veritas

Here is a little joke:

If you started your own currency,  who will jail you?

Carl Veritas's picture
Carl Veritas

Yo' V

Look up Panama's  currency,   that might surprise you.

deggleton's picture
deggleton

Both have merits, but I prefer local currency to local first campaigns because of what's visible and what's easily learned about the local economy.  With local currency, people can see the distinctive bills coming out of wallets and pockets, and changing hands.  With local currency, it's not hard to determine the types and scales of the locale's biggest dependencies on distant producers, because the cooperating banks document conversions.  That determination can guide startups to promising niches and shift economic development efforts from capturing aliens to releasing residents.

Carl Veritas's picture
Carl Veritas

David,   

Berkshares is a medium of exchange agreed to by a local community.         I like the idea.     For practical purposes the residents will for now still  need to use the US govt approved medium to trade outside of the community and pay their taxes.      A closed economy   (consume what it produce)   will work best  if all that the community need is produced locally.   If not, outside trade is necessary  to an extent.   

However, if it the idea becomes widespread, the government will no doubt  create a new law abolishing berkshires and confiscate them.  

Berkshires and other mediums chosen by people  (liberty, by god)   can only flourish if we the people find a way to force government to---

(1)    Abolish the Central Bank

(2)   Abolish legal tender laws.

DaytonMegan's picture
DaytonMegan

Local currencies are really a form of formalized barter.  Barter has always and will always exist.  No government can confiscate a favor you do a neighbor in exchange for some other good or service (whether you trade pieces of paper around it or not).  Historically, wasn't money invented as local currencies growing out of barter/trade in the first place?

No matter how "self sufficient" a community may be, some outside trade will always be necessary or desirable.  Evidence strongly suggests that, even in the Stone Age, there existed what we would term "international trade" going on.  Some hardy souls have always been willing to travel long distances for the purpose of trade and "profit".  Some anthropologists speculate that the first cities developed not because of agriculture but because of trade.  Towns and villages were originally "good" resting spots along ancient Stone Age trade routes. The existence of those settlements is what spurred the development of what we call agriculture since farmers would "profit" from growing more than what they could consume by "selling" their excess to the "traders".

I follow with some detatched interest the localvore movement that seeks to eat only within 100 miles (or less) of where they live.  I think being able to obtain the necessities locally is important.  Nevertheless, chocolate, coffee, rice, and bananas are things I will also always find desirable and worth trading dearly for.

Crash's picture
Crash
Carl Veritas wrote:

if we the people find a way to force government to---

(1)    Abolish the Central Bank

(2)   Abolish legal tender laws.

I agree. work in the local community on local currencies must be inacted in tandem with pressure on governments to create a favorable climate for them. This involves both the above points, certainly, as a base from which meaningful monetary reform can take place.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments