link format

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
jeanius2's picture
jeanius2
link format

Suggestion: many people include links in their posts. I suggest you format these links to open in a new tab. That would make your site stickier. It's so easy to 'browse away' otherwise.

mainecooncat's picture
mainecooncat
Re: link format

Agreed.

admin's picture
admin

From a site design perspective, I think you can look at this either way.  Some usability experts would say never open another window or tab unless the user specifically requests to do so.  By opening another tab, we would be "intruding" on their desktop when they have not asked us. 

Others will state the case you have made, which is to *force* the user to leave the site (don't allow them to leave it on their own free will  Smile).  I do think users can get annoyed with this approach at times. 

I see the benefit in both, but I'd probably lean toward the former rather than the latter.  I think there may be value in opening a new tab if it's one of a series of links in a long blog post, and I think some of our blog posts have been set up this way.  I know for my own Internet surfing, if I'm reading a long article with multple links, I tend to right click on the link and say "open in a new tab" anyway.  Not everyone likes lots of tabs.

Just as a general comment, anyone writing comments or forum threads on the site can choose to set up their links this way if they wish.   When inserting a link, select the target to be "Open in a new window".

gyrogearloose's picture
gyrogearloose
admin wrote:

I know for my own Internet surfing, if I'm reading a long article with multple links, I tend to right click on the link and say "open in a new tab" anyway.  Not everyone likes lots of tabs.

Just as a general comment, anyone writing comments or forum threads on the site can choose to set up their links this way if they wish.   When inserting a link, select the target to be "Open in a new window".

What, you don't have browser set to have "wheel click"  to open the link in a new tab ? Laughing

admin's picture
admin
gyrogearloose wrote:

What, you don't have browser set to have "wheel click"  to open the link in a new tab ? Laughing

Ha! I guess I'm too much of an old school "right-button clicker".

jeanius2's picture
jeanius2
jeanius2 wrote:

Suggestion: many people include links in their posts. I suggest you format these links to open in a new tab. That would make your site stickier. It's so easy to 'browse away' otherwise.

Thanks, that's much better.

In edit: I just noticed that not all external links open in a new tab, but at least the daily digest links do, nice work.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments