Life After Lowesville

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
cat233's picture
cat233
Life After Lowesville

I have exchanged several emails with Becca since the Lowesville seminar, she suggested that Dogs and I begin a thread about, "Life After Lowesville."

Dogs and I live in Virginia Beach.  The Hampton Roads region of Virginia is comprised of seven cities, we have more than 2 million in our local area.  Because of our stock market education in the area, Dogs and I already had nice core group of like minded people to begin with.  

We have already had a few informal meetings discussing different parts of what we learned while at the seminar, we are now ready for action.  Our first formal meeting will be in a few weeks to plan bulk food preparation, we will have at least 20 families represented at this meeting. If anyone is interested in joining us, send me a message and I will pass along the details.

Dogs and R39 are working on a Virginia Beach Crash Course sessions, this is still in the planning stages.  We are discussing where to hold the sessions and how to advertise these.

While in Lowesville, Becca led a group of us in a visioning session, she taught us how to find peace, to put our minds in the right place to achieve our goals.  I can't find the right words to explain exactly what this is, but wonderful does come to mind.  R39 led a large group of us in a session this past weekend.  A peaceful mind and spirit make this journey an easier road to travel.

We are having another informal meeting later this week.  I will keep you posted what the group has in mind for the next course of action. 

Dogs to add his thoughts later.

Cat

suesullivan's picture
suesullivan
Re: Life After Lowesville

This thread is a wonderful idea. I'd love to read how you all are implementing your community building. I think it will energize me to reach beyond our own family's efforts to connect more with our larger community, and I think it's especially useful to those of us who aren't on the east coast and haven't been able to attend any of the seminars.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Sue -

Do you have any others in your area thinking like you or on board with Crash Course and 3Es?  I'd start with the food storage project.  Even if your group is small, you at least have the core of a community going.  Then it becomes an effort to reach a few more people and grow the group.

Chris and Becca's story about their local "food prep day" was such an inspiration and as Cat mentioned in her post, we are going to plan and execute one in the next few weeks.  We'll be happy to make all the mistakes for you first and then pass on what you should (and shouldn't do).

The next step is presenting the Crash Course.  Coolhandluke and I are also working out details on presenting CC in Chesapeake, VA (right next door to VA Beach).  We started with the local reps from Campaign For Liberty and have a list of about 40 people who have expressed an strong interest in coming. 

We'll keep everyone posted as these projects come together.

Now - how about something from the other Lowesville attendees?

joemanc's picture
joemanc

I miss Lowesville!

I'm sort of in transition right now. I recently sold my condo and I am going to rent for a year, somwhere within walking distance to the train station. Real estate, especially land, is still very pricey in CT so I am going to wait for prices to drop some more, no matter what the NAR or the media says! I've been looking at areas of the NW corner of my state for a home with some land. I've been trying to take note of where there is a stream or lake for water, forests for wood burning, sun angles for solar panels, distances to other homes for community building, and most importantly closeness to existing farms. Since I am a novice at gardening, I plan to spend all summer around my dad's garden to get up to speed. As I learned from the Lowesville toolbox, this is a marathon, not a sprint. I'm not going to do everything at once, as much as I'd like to be able to.

Since I am in transition, I have only been able to research some of the things I added up to my shopping list in Lowesville. I plan to "help out the economy" once I am re-settled in and knock off some of the items on my shopping list. I have a fair amount of short term food storage, but I will start investigating long term food storage this summer. Dogs/Cat - would love to hear your experience when you do your food prep day.

I've looked into ham radios and getting a license. I've been looking at personal protection. I've been lightening up on more of my paper assets and am looking to add to my hard assets. Gold, silver, even copper.

I never thought I could or would do this, but I actually cancelled my cable tv service. Wow, was that hard. But, I am so glad I did it. I have NO regrets! Especially with the daily propaganda that continues to be emitted from Spin Cycle Central.

Once I am settled in, I plan to set up a Crash Course viewing at my local library. I'm really looking forward to setting those up.

One thing I will add as I've heard Chris say numerous times, and it's true, get rid of the things you don't need and get the things you do need. I found this is working out to a T as I get ready to move. No moving trucks necessary. Several trips with a small pickup truck is going to do it. Sell your stuff on ebay or craiglist to someone who will take your junk that you can live without.

VeganDB12's picture
VeganDB12

Hi Guys!

I live in the New York area (Yonkers).  Since returning I have discussed the course with my friends and one or two colleagues.  One friend has finally agreed to view the crash course.  Swine flu was a major distraction as the initial US outbreak occurred locally and according to the local hardware guy everyone was busy buying masks (although swine flu became a great excuse to get people to prep for an economic downturn).  I have looked at my own spending (inspired by all at the seminar including Joemanc's giving up cable!) and see that I can also live with less and should so I am focusing on this right now along with stockpiling necessities.  I enjoyed meeting everyone and really felt a sense of community with everyone there.  Cat, Dogs and Mike you are good people and I look forward to continuing to learn from all.

Regards

Denise

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

Hi all,

I wasn't at louisville but I thought I would mention what I'm doing locally as well. :)

I'm near Toronto in Ontario, Canada. Towards the end of may I'll be holding a showing of the first part of the crash course in a pub in downtown Toronto. I'll be bringing in people from several different groups so I think there will be an excellent chance of cross-pollination of different viewpoints.

Ed

suesullivan's picture
suesullivan

Dogs, I'm finding a few souls in my spreading-the-food-gardening-gospel group (formerly Grow Food Not Lawns, now Home Grown Food) who seem aware of what's going on. But there's still a great number even in the group who are quite oblivious and gardening simply for the joy of it.

We had a great visit yesterday with a friend who now splits his time between New Zealand and Maine, while spending a few weeks here in Colorado to catch up with friends. He started GFNL here and is trying to figure out how to spread the concept of locally organized food-growing support groups. We talked a bit about peak oil and economic collapse and it was a relief to be able to engage in a discussion, rather than being met with a polite stare and no meaningful response.

One thing that occurred to me after that visit was that I think any community building I am going to do (and actually, I'm doing it already, just not explicitly as a remedy for impending crisis) is to help those around me grow more of their own food. (Our group's got some great energy and ideas -- one of the more aware members is trying to pull together a fruit coop that would focus on identifying all the fruit trees in the city, asking the property owners if they want help pruning and and advice for feeding and managing them, in exchange for a share of the harvest. We'd also ask the city or county to dedicate some ag-zoned open-space to be planted as fruit orchards and help maintain those and distribute the harvest, which would be years down the road, of course).

I think food storage is helpful but it's a stop-gap measure and it's one that sounds quite out there, at least to the folks I've tried to raise the issue with. But working on growing more of our own food locally feels more hopeful and ultimately is more sustainable. I dunno. Maybe I don't have the powers of persuasion I need to convince folks that they need to think about what's happening more deeply, to watch the crash course, to consider that the future might be very different. So far, I haven't had much luck. But I have managed to support a few dozen folks' burgeoning interest in growing more vegetables....

I am looking forward to reading more of what you attendees are doing. It sounds like paring expenses is a priority. It's useful to be reminded of that!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments