Leveraging Existing Equipment For Food Storage

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
CentralVA's picture
CentralVA
Leveraging Existing Equipment For Food Storage

Greetings and Good Evening to all!

I am, as are so many, new to the prepping life, and need a spot of guidance.  I read about the big multi-family food storage day described on this site and how they used the oxygen absorbers and the mylar bags, etc.  I am all up for doing that, but I do have a Foodsaver V3825 (I think that the #!) and was wondering if I could possibly use that (it's basically just a vacuum packer that heat seals the vacuum bag after it sucks the air out) to accomplish the same thing?  Maybe?  Or would I be doing myself a disservice in the long run?  Could/should I use it w/ mylar bags?  Would it be prudent to throw in an oxygen absorber in before I vacuum seal the bag?

I don't want to cut corners, but if I have something that will achieve the same ends - I want to use it!

Advice/Ideas/Suggestions/Guidance/Insults?  :O)

Thanks in advance!

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Food Storage
CentralVA wrote:

Greetings and Good Evening to all!

I am, as are so many, new to the prepping life, and need a spot of guidance.  I read about the big multi-family food storage day described on this site and how they used the oxygen absorbers and the mylar bags, etc.  I am all up for doing that, but I do have a Foodsaver V3825 (I think that the #!) and was wondering if I could possibly use that (it's basically just a vacuum packer that heat seals the vacuum bag after it sucks the air out) to accomplish the same thing?  Maybe?  Or would I be doing myself a disservice in the long run?  Could/should I use it w/ mylar bags?  Would it be prudent to throw in an oxygen absorber in before I vacuum seal the bag?

I don't want to cut corners, but if I have something that will achieve the same ends - I want to use it!

Advice/Ideas/Suggestions/Guidance/Insults?  :O)

Thanks in advance!

CVA - Welcome to the site.

If you have a vacuum sealer you could save on the cost of O2 absorbers, but I would strongly suggest you go with mylar bags and HDPE buckets/lids for the long storage plan.  You will save on the cost of the O2 absorbers, but that cost was minimal.  The majority of your cost is going to be the grains.  We got ours from Yoders - which, depending on where in Central VA you are, could be pretty close.

CentralVA's picture
CentralVA
Thanks for the Welcome!

Hey Dogs, thanks for checking in!  Sounds like a plan.  I'll research which, if any, mylar bags are compatible with my model.  Forgive what may be an obvious question, but what is your source for good, food-grade mylar bags?  It may have been mentioned here on the site somewhere, but I could have missed it.  Is there a 'Definitive Sources' thread (maybe under a different name) on CM where the best places to get various prep material are listed?  I know there is some of it under the specific headings of What Should I Do About food/water/energy, etc.

Are you referring to the Yoder's Country Market a little north of Charlottesville?  From what I'm seeing, that's maybe 1.5 hours from me = will probably swing by there this weekend with the kids and see what's up.

Thanks for the check-in!

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Food Storage
CentralVA wrote:

Hey Dogs, thanks for checking in!  Sounds like a plan.  I'll research which, if any, mylar bags are compatible with my model.  Forgive what may be an obvious question, but what is your source for good, food-grade mylar bags?  It may have been mentioned here on the site somewhere, but I could have missed it.  Is there a 'Definitive Sources' thread (maybe under a different name) on CM where the best places to get various prep material are listed?  I know there is some of it under the specific headings of What Should I Do About food/water/energy, etc.

Are you referring to the Yoder's Country Market a little north of Charlottesville?  From what I'm seeing, that's maybe 1.5 hours from me = will probably swing by there this weekend with the kids and see what's up.

Thanks for the check-in!

CVA -

Here is a link to the thread we put together after we did our Food Storage project.  Included are links to the sites we got our mylar bags, buckets, lids, O2 absorbers, etc.

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/successful-food-storage-day-9-familes-4-tons-5-hours-lessons-learned-recommendations/27519

We got our bags, absorbers and desiccants from Sorbent Systems and our buckets and lids from US Plastic Corp.

This link is to the Food Storage Project Preparation thread, lots of good stuff in here too.

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/food-storage-lessons-learned-and-recomendations/19518

I'm pretty sure the Yoder's we got our grain from was the one in C-ville.

Have fun and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM or email.

CentralVA's picture
CentralVA
Awesome!  That's just what

Awesome!  That's just what I was looking for!

Thanks, Dogs!  You are a prince among preppers!  :OP

And thanks for the offer of future assistance, as I'll most likely need to take you up on it!
Paul

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments