Let He Who is Without Sin...

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Headless's picture
Headless
Let He Who is Without Sin...

Let the who is without sin, not confirm Timothy Geithner.

If he is confirmed, the conclusion to be drawn is simple: The proportion of congressmen that vote to confirm him is the exact proportion of congressmen that have similar skeletons in their closets.

Geithner apologizes for not paying taxes

Where in the Constitution of The United States does it call for implementation of Catholic policies...

cat233's picture
cat233
Re: Let He Who is Without Sin...

Geithner Testimony
Reaction

Discussing
Treasury Secretary desginate Timothy Geithner's tax mistakes, with David Kotok,
Cumberland Advisors; CNBC's John Harwood, Steve Liesman, Charlie Gasparino &
Rick Santelli

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1008047254

Headless's picture
Headless

Cat,

Thanks for the link. I can't even watch this stuff without throwing things anymore.

Cabrera completely misses the point, babbling away: "Well, if you don't pick Geithner, then who do you pick?" suggesting a logic that would endorse Bin Laden for President if there were no other candidates.

John Harwood and Steve Leisman suggest that since the IMF had to offer a group pardon to a whole group of alleged criminals who also joined this particular club (thus avoiding a public scandal), that everything's OK in the neighborhood.

etc. etc.

It amazes me how people fall on a passing bandwagon and don't realize how morally far from home they've gotten until it's too late.

I can tell you every number on every line of my last tax return; I am not a candidate for Treasury Secretary. I don't know what the mystical forces are that create group idiocy to the extent it has been created in our media, but there will come a day when we look back, watch re-run collages of all the absurdities in an attempt to see how America was destroyed, and scratch our heads, wondering how people could have deceived themselves to such an extent.

The Geithner "error" is about to compounded exponentially by 100 million indignant Americans...

Watch tax receipts plunge.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Nonzero -

How much of this (if any) do you think is benevolent neglect vs. willful culpability?

I'm not trying to defend Geithner, I wonder if he knowingly "erred" on his taxes or if he even prepared them.

That said, I would much rather see someone appointed who is outside the standard lifelines.

And can he be worse then King Henry Paulson and his evil side-kick, (Sub)Prime Minister Bernanke???

And when TSHTF - would it matter if Adam Smith was Treasurer?

Headless's picture
Headless

Dogs_In_A_Pile said:

"How much of this (if any) do you think is benevolent neglect vs. willful culpability?

I'm not trying to defend Geithner, I wonder if he knowingly "erred" on his taxes or if he even prepared them."

As I understand it, he did prepare them (could be mistaken there). That said, intelligent people don't make the kind of mistake that is being claimed to have been made here; the IRS no doubt could dredge statistics that could demonstrate the ratio of errors made in favor of the filer relative to errors made in favor of the tax-collector, a ratio which I have no doubt approaches infiinity. Show me errors made by  candidates for or holders of government positions which resulted in overpayments by 10's of thousands of dollars over a period of 4 years, and I would then be willing to entertain some doubt as to whether or not the omissions--over a period of 4 years--were intentional. It wouldn't change my mind about his qualifications for the position, since surely you can no longer hold any other American liable for "errors" that are going to occur on their returns during "the Geithner years"--if we are so unfortunate as to have to endure such a period of time.

Americans have had enough of this; it' time to put people in these positions that we don't have to apologize to the rest of the world for.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
They Must Think We Are Stupid.........

Dollar worries a theme in Geithner hearing Senators voice concern about dependence on foreign investors

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28776284

I don't know what to make of this. Where's Mr. Obvious man when you need him? What is worse - Volcker actually saying this or the members of the Senate Finance Committee sitting there and making the moronic statements that followed?

Here are some of the gems:

'Testifying in support of Geithner, former Federal Reserve chairman Paul Volcker warned that “several trillions of dollars will be necessary” from taxpayers and from the Federal Reserve to resuscitate the U.S. financial system. “Obviously, commitments made of that magnitude raise very large questions,” Volcker told the committee. It’s not only the potential waste of taxpayer money, “there are also risks of undermining confidence in the dollar and raising the fears of future inflation.” '

Do ya think? Way to go Volcker, none of the rest of us could come up with that. At this point, giving the Fed a couple of bucks to go get a gallon of milk at the grocery store would raise very large questions.

And from Chucklehead Schumer: ' In his questioning of Geithner, Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., reported that he’d been conferring with financial sources with expertise about the costs and benefits of a “good bank/bad bank” entity that would get illiquid assets off of banks’ balance sheets, so the banks could more confidently lend to businesses and consumers. This entity would be owned by the federal government.'

Okay, as long as the government owns them, how bad could it get? Oh wait, that's why we're here. And I forgot - the governement would own them, after you and I bought them.

Yet another Schumerism: ' " The experts “said it could be $3 trillion, $4 trillion if you did the whole good bank/bad bank across the board, which creates great worries for the dollar and for inflation down the road,” Schumer said. “I mean it just shakes our financial system, something that large.” '

What shakes me is how truly ignorant our elected officials are. It just shakes our governement, something that stupid.

' Schumer added later in an interview, “If you do it across the board, it’s going to be very expensive. There are wide ranges of estimates (of the cost). There are so many bad assets on the banks’ books; big banks, small banks and ones in between.” “If the dollar goes into a fall, there’s real trouble,” he said. “I don’t think it will at this point, but you’ve got to keep an eye on it.” '

If you had been keeping your eye on it prior to this point, why are we in the situation we are in? You guys would look at the Grand Canyon and astutely observe "That's a big hole.", so I'm sorry if I don't have much confidence in whatever you keep your eye on working out.

Apologies for my acerbic tone, but this article was infuriating........

rmurfster's picture
rmurfster
Nonzeroone wrote:

Let the who is without sin, not confirm Timothy Geithner.

If he is confirmed, the conclusion to be drawn is simple: The proportion of congressmen that vote to confirm him is the exact proportion of congressmen that have similar skeletons in their closets.

Geithner apologizes for not paying taxes

Where in the Constitution of The United States does it call for implementation of Catholic policies...

OK, "Sorry that I signed a paper from my employer which states that I am responsible to pay my own taxes"

OK, "Sorry that I accepted funds my my employer to pay my taxes that I kept for myself"

OK, "Sorry that along with EVERY check from my employer to pay my taxes was a form that I signed that said I understand that this money is to pay for my Federal taxes"

OK, "Sorry that I only paid back my taxes AFTER I was to be nominated for Treasury Secretary"

OK, "Sorry that I got caught TWICE after I only paid back partially the first time"

OK, "Sorry that I only paid back what you forced me to because there's a moratorium on taxes I owe over 5 years ago"

Mistake?  I think not.

So much for a government of Change and Integrity.

cat233's picture
cat233

Amen.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments