Less talk, more action: what to do now to prepare, THE COMPLETE MANUAL

58 posts / 0 new
Last post
waldendad's picture
waldendad
Less talk, more action: what to do now to prepare, THE COMPLETE MANUAL

I'm fairly new here, but have been tuned in for a couple years. My biggest beef with the site and CC is there's not enough info on preparation. I hope we can address that together- specific suggestion for action below.
For example, the What Should I do section mostly just addresses the importance of preparing. The "Planning Guides" just talk about paying debt down and buying gold. Am I missing something, or is there some good checklists, resources, etc. that can help people get going for real?

My wife and I started preparing 2 years ago. We sold our home in a larger city, and bought a home in a small town in a farming community two months ago. We paid down debt, just a small mortgage now. 

Priorities, for me, are:
-Ramp up our garden, get some chickens, get lots of food storage and start canning our own food this year.
-Buy some hardware to help us prepare for energy shortages (wood pellet stove, generator, tools)
-Make more cash and diversify into gold and international via someone like Peter Schiff
-Self defense (currently attending jujitsu class with my brother and our sons- this has also been a lot of fun. looking into handguns)
-Set up my own local "network" for trade. My goal is to be the organizer of a barter website and monthly flea market/barter exchange.

I'm lucky in that my wife is also a little nutty about preparation, being thrify, etc. We're striking a good balance between having fun in life but also preparing for big changes.

Back to my beef- I value the info, it's a great summary of some of our biggest challenges, and I agree with most of it. But to be of real value, we need to do a lot more than just talk. We need action!

Here's the kind of thing I'm looking for. Maybe it exists on this site or elsewhere. Maybe a group of us can pool together and create something like the suggested "guides" below?

LIVE COMFORTABLY OFF THE GRID TODAY
-Solar/human-powered resources for charging batteries/flashlights for when the power goes down.
-Wood, wood-pellet stoves, and other ways to diversify how your home is heated/cooled.
-Battery/generator backup systems, solar/wind systems.

CHECKLIST FOR THE TOP TOOLS AND HARDWARD YOU NEED
Non-electrice hand tools, self defense and security, food preparation and storage

LIVING OFF THE LAND FOR THE AVERAGE JOE
Tips on how to get as much output as possible from the average yard.
Box gardening, raising honey, chickens, rabbits.
Canning, freezing, food prep.

I know, I know, this stuff could fill whole volumes. I guess what I'm really looking for are good checklists, good lists of resources for where to buy the stuff at wholesale cost where possible, etc.

Anyone been there done some serious preparation? Why not pool resources and knowledge and make it easy for the next guy? Or to swap knowledge so we're all a little smarter?

For us, much of this is a hobby that may save our lives someday, and we enjoy it. Status quo till you die? Well, maybe you lived 5 more years b/c you ate organic veggies you raise instead of eating more processed food.

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder
JAG's picture
JAG
Re: Less talk, more action: what to do now to prepare, THE ...

I'm with you Waldendad. In my preparations, the first step has been educating myself on the many aspects of a self-reliant lifestyle. My god there is a lot to learn. I guess I would start by recommending a few books that I have found  valuable in my education:

Gardening:

Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times (Mother Earth News Wiser Living Series) by Steve Solomon 

Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture by Toby Hemenway 

Toolbox for Sustainable City Living: A do-it-Ourselves Guide by Scott Kellogg, Stacy Pettigrew, and Juan Martinez

Designing And Maintaining Your Edible Landscape Naturally by Robert Kourik and Rosalind Creasy

Edible Forest Gardens (2 volume set) by Dave Jacke and Eric Toensmeier

Perennial Vegetables: From Artichokes to Zuiki Taro, A Gardener's Guide to Over 100 Delicious and Easy to Grow Edibles by Eric Toensmeier

How to Grow More Vegetables and Fruits (and Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Grains, and Other Crops) Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land Than You Can Imagine by John Jeavons

Food Storage, Home Security, and Survival Preparations:

Crisis Preparedness Handbook: A Complete Guide to Home Storage and Physical Survival by Jack A. Spigarelli

The Complete Book of Home, Site and Office Security by Bill Phillips

X10 Home Security System by Michael Maikowski

The Secure Home by Joel Skousen and Joel, M. Skousen  

I haven't got to researching alternative energy books yet, but I have owned many of the Real Goods Solar Living Sourcebooks and they have a lot of good info.

Real Goods Solar Living Source Book-Special 30th Anniversary Edition: Your Complete Guide to Renewable Energy Technologies and Sustainable Living (Real Goods Solar Living Sourcebook) by John Schaeffer

I'm not sure this is exactly what you were asking for, but I'm afraid this is all I have time to contribute at the present. I think it is a great idea to pool information and I will absolutely contribute more to this effort in the future.

Jeff 

cat233's picture
cat233

Thanks Sam and Jeff... Nice to have all those links in one place. Smile

Cat

Peter G's picture
Peter G

I'd also add to the list

Magazines:

http://www.homepower.com/home/

http://www.motherearthnews.com/

Books

Frugal Living for Dummies http://www.dummies.com/store/product/Frugal-Living-For-Dummies.productCd...

Simple Living Guide http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Living-Guide-Sourcebook-Stressful/dp/055306...

Hope this is of help to you.

Peter

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

Slightly OT but many options are closed to me for a variety of reasons. Anyone have any opinion on freezedried vs. dehydrated foods.? No wheat, rice, beans, in my future, I'm afraid.

SG

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

I bought a 90-day supply from this website, and this is a page where they compare freeze-dried vs. dehydrated.  I have no financial interest in them.  They just seem knowledgeable and their customer service was good.

http://survivalacres.com/productdifferences.html

Happy hunting, Sager 

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

One more thought --

Add "spices and flavorings" to your pre-SHTF shopping list.  Pretty much all the survival food I've seen is super-basic.  A little som'n-som'n added to the pot will help the simple foods in question go down easier. 

cat233's picture
cat233
Dogs and I have bought supplies from all of these stores.
Emergency Essentials http://beprepared.com/
Duluth Trading Co. http://www.duluthtrading.com/
Duluth Trading is great... Has items such as:  logger's pants, fleece-lined
work jeans, fire hose canvas clothing, extra roomy Chino pants and jeans, and
souped-up sweats... Just to name a few.
Cat
Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Let me amplify on Mrs. Dogs' post:

Hurricane Store - best price I found for collapsible water storage jugs.  Great selection of first aid kits and supplies.

Campmor:  Camping gear and a good selection of clothing - look in the Hot Deal section for sale items.  Usually very competitive prices in backpacks and tents.

Another site to add - Safe Castle - http://safecastleroyal.com/ Very durable Maxpedition backpacks, good selection of food supplies.

Will add more when I can track down the website addresses.

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

February 19, 2009, 4:53 pm

First Lady at Agriculture Department

Susan Walsh/Associated Press The
first lady, Michelle Obama, brought a seedling from the Jackson
magnolia tree at the White House to Agriculture Department employees.

The first lady, Michelle Obama,
continued her rounds of government agency visits
today to say thank you to the employees and to get to know the District
of Columbia better. This time, Mrs. Obama brought a gift.

Before cheering throng of Agriculture Department employees,
including 18 long-time employees who were singled out for their
service, Mrs. Obama presented a seedling from the Jackson magnolia,
which has been growing on the west side of the south portico of the
White House for 180 years.

Andrew Jackson planted the tree in memory of his wife, Rachel, who died before he entered the White House.

Last week, the Agriculture Department started its own garden, one
that will include fruits and vegetables to be donated to the city’s
soup kitchens. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack jackhammered a spot in
the black asphalt outside the Whitten building to prepare the ground.
It is part of an effort by the Obama administration to get people to
grow some of their own food.

Mrs. Obama said she was particularly pleased that the department’s
facilities all over the world would be planting gardens. “I’m a big
believer in community gardens,” she said, “both because of their beauty
and for providing access to fresh fruits and vegetables to so many
communities across the nation and the world.”

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr

I agree with you, waldendad.  What would be REALLY nice would be to have these threads be peristently available as top level topics.  E.g., add "Preparation Discussions" as a category like  "PeakProsperity.com  Discussions" and "Markets & Policies".  Then there could be persistent sub-topics underneath this top-level topic, like "Gardening", "Best Tools", etc. 

The nice thing about setting up these permanent high-level threads is that we wouldn't keep re-inventing these threads over and over again, which doesn't bother me so much as how we keep "losing" all the valuable information on these threads, as old threads get buried over time.  This way, we would accumulate ideas in an organized fasion.  Is that the kind of thing you had in mind, waldendad?  (BTW, great preparations!)

Woodman's picture
Woodman

A separate forum category for preps would be great.  Other sites like peakoil.com have all kinds of sub forums and stickies for various preparation subjects.

I see the main purpose of this site, at least at the moment is to raise awareness for the need to make preps.  There are lots of other sites with info out there on preps and there are lots of folks who think the sky is going to fall no matter how good times fall, but this site really pulls together some good financial facts in an understandable way to plan and take action.  I also see a movement toward more actual preparation as we get past the awareness and understanding phases.

Tom  

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

pinecarr, Woodman -

Go up to the top of the thread and click on the orange button to the right of the title to subscribe to the feed.  Your browser will capture the feed and you can go back to it at your leisure rather than having to hunt through old posts or remember where it is/was.

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr

DIAP, thanks; I didn;t know about that feature!

Woodman - Yep, I agree about there being lots of other sites offering preparation advice.  It sure would be nice to be able to easily find and access those as well, via a persistent high-level subtopic.

E.g. Preparations [high level topic] -> Gardening [sub-topic] -> Gardening Links -> http://sharonastyk.com/ [and all the other great gardeing links].

That way, anyone new or old to the site would have easy access to our combined knowledge of ideas on preparation, and other great links to help in preparation.  And our information and ideas would accumulate in an organized way. 

Thoughts?

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

http://www.peakprosperity.com/comment/21059#comment-21059

waldendad's picture
waldendad

Wow, thanks guys. Looks like I found a good community. That's the type of stuff I've been looking for:

Condensed info, checklists, resources to help ramp things up faster, so my time is more focused on:
-Actual preparation and making things happen
and
-Getting my network going. This, to me, is huge, beneficial, and fun no matter what happens. If you can network with others to barter more, get more discounts and favors, and be part of your own mini community, it's going to be a lot easier to succeed no matter what happens. To that end, anyone in Northern Utah/Southern Idaho drop me a line.

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd

Thank you for this thread, I don't know how I missed it until now, but will be spending some time going through the various links in greater detail.  Again, thanks!

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Recycle

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote:

Recycle

Recycle threads  . . . Saves me work . . . .

burntfingers's picture
burntfingers

hi all....  

cant take it any more.... i too have been reading  this web site since a loved one informed me of the potential for  some serious fecal matter dispersement.................... being a curious sort i did my own research............................................ and have found this web site to very transparent    and open.........with a clear mission and direction, ....... although not always the shortest path.....................................it does foster open thought  and multiple views on most  ANY given subject......................and i am very grateful for the opportunity to try to retain even a small part of the massive amount of info........for me its like drinkn from a fire hose.....but ...im better for it...although i find it very frustrating....from someone that is in the trenches of the main street economy in a rural community in heart of the the rocky mountain west far from wall street and the beltway...... although  alot of the privileged have second and third "cabins" close by...being a very small business owner and entrepreneur  i find ever so difficult to maintain even a meager income given the lack of activity in peoples spending habits on things that have traditionally been a mainstay of most homes.... that being said i have extra time to prepare and learn ....doing things that grandma did ...... garden , canning the garden, apricot jams and the like..........sure wish i would have paid more attention...old dog s can learn new tricks.....if some one would have said id be makin jam 5years ago i would have bought them a tin foil hat.......look at me now.... shinny hat and alll.....some days its a full suit of foil armor.....ive prepared  best i can ....bought some new garden tools....mainly pitch fork and ma......axe....stocked up on extra firewood ....you know the stuff grows on trees............know wonder they make money from it.............wood=money     ........got wood

ao's picture
ao
burntfingers wrote:

hi all....  

cant take it any more.... i too have been reading  this web site since a loved one informed me of the potential for  some serious fecal matter dispersement.................... being a curious sort i did my own research............................................ and have found this web site to very transparent    and open.........with a clear mission and direction, ....... although not always the shortest path.....................................it does foster open thought  and multiple views on most  ANY given subject......................and i am very grateful for the opportunity to try to retain even a small part of the massive amount of info........for me its like drinkn from a fire hose.....but ...im better for it...although i find it very frustrating....from someone that is in the trenches of the main street economy in a rural community in heart of the the rocky mountain west far from wall street and the beltway...... although  alot of the privileged have second and third "cabins" close by...being a very small business owner and entrepreneur  i find ever so difficult to maintain even a meager income given the lack of activity in peoples spending habits on things that have traditionally been a mainstay of most homes.... that being said i have extra time to prepare and learn ....doing things that grandma did ...... garden , canning the garden, apricot jams and the like..........sure wish i would have paid more attention...old dog s can learn new tricks.....if some one would have said id be makin jam 5years ago i would have bought them a tin foil hat.......look at me now.... shinny hat and alll.....some days its a full suit of foil armor.....ive prepared  best i can ....bought some new garden tools....mainly pitch fork and ma......axe....stocked up on extra firewood ....you know the stuff grows on trees............know wonder they make money from it.............wood=money     ........got wood

wEllKUm 2 THe sIGht,

gr8 pEe pel HeeR butT yULl fINd tHaT

Communications are enhanced with better sentence structure.  Run-on sentences are wearisome to read..;-)  Thanks.

VeganDB12's picture
VeganDB12

burntfingers

It sounds like you have courageously taken on the challenge and accomplished a lot in your preparations.  I live in a city and find it challenging to figure out ways to self sustain from my current vantage but I am working at it.  Sprouting has become my new source of fresh vegetables (H/T c1oudfire). Heating my place in the winter is numero uno problem. Welcome from me too! Hang in there.

D

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

hello burntfingers -

Welcome to the site.  Looks like you are all over the map with things you are interested in.  There are a lot of old threads with some great info on a variety of topics.  I will pull them together and drop them in another post on this thread in a little. 

Check back later, and again, welcome.

PS - Where in the Rockies, I am in Boulder a couple of times a year for charity work.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Consolidated List of Links to Preparation Threads

By no means a complete list, but a good start.

Community Building:  http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/community-building/15712

Food Storage (Execution):  http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/successful-food-storage-day-9-familes-4-tons-5-hours-lessons-learned-recommendations/27519

Food Storage (Preparation - lots of great links from many posters in this thread):  http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/emergency-preparation-and-food-storage-info-lowesville-seminar/18845

Freeze Dried Food:  http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/freeze-dried-food/23945

Canning:  http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/canning-101-help-me-please/15851

Recipes:  http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/recipes-food-and-drink/20155

Square Foot Gardening:  http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/square-foot-gardening/18771

Agriculture/Permaculture:   http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/definitive-agriculturepermaculture-thread/15715

Seeds:  http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/seed-thread/20370

Lowesville Seminar:  http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/definitive-lowesville-seminar-thread/17632

and http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/life-after-lowesville/18306

Coping With 3E Issues:  http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/coping-triple-e-interpersonal-problems/12564 

Family and Friends:  http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/getting-your-friends-and-family-pay-attention/26150

Firearms:  http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/definitive-firearms-thread/12654

Home Gardening:  http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/home-gardening-beginners/21875

Chickens:  http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/definitive-chicken-thread/16424

Emergency Supplies:  http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/emergency-supplies-we-might-need/15458

Emergency Food:  http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/quick-emergency-food-question/21964

Off Grid Refrigeration:  http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/grid-refrigeration/19539

Baking/Cooking Without Power:  http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/baknig-and-cooking-without-power-or-gas/13687

Beekeeping:  http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/beekeeping-anyone/18759

Becoming a Farmer:  http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/becoming-farmer/16150

Renewable Energy/Off Grid:  http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/re-without-batteries-or-grid/18828

Trading/Investing (Be careful with this one, it's not advice, lots of good discussion from different perspectives.  Bottom line, do your own work to learn and apply):  http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/traders-thread/14692

Farmer Brown's picture
Farmer Brown

Heck of a list, Dogs.  Muchas gracias. 

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

FB -

My pleaseure.  About a minute after I posted, I realized this listing probably deserved its own thread.

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
waldendad wrote:

My biggest beef with the site and CC is there's not enough info on preparation.

Hi,

Can I suggest you visit http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RunningOnEmpty2/ ? Whilst CMdotcom certainly has lots of info lurking within, ROE has been doing this for years, now running at over 60.000 posts. It's gotten so big now there are are THREE ROE sites you might want to investigate.

I cut my teeth on catastrophism there, and then left because it's too American for me, the climate and culture is different enough to warrant an Aussie list, and I started my own!

Mike

Romans12.2's picture
Romans12.2

We just got to a place where we think we have some of everything on our list of preps.  But this afternoon when I visit the pantry in the basement to get some pasta and canned chicken, I had a panic moment. 

My 14 year old son eats alot!  I'm talking two boxes of mac n cheese and two cans of tuna a one sitting. 

And I've got dogs and cats and chickens, two other kids and a husband oh my! 

How much food do you all have??  When is it ok to rest?  The freeze dried and dehydrated stuff would only last us 6mos. 

My pantry maybe another 3, if I keep it stocked...what are other families doing?

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Romans12.2 wrote:

How much food do you all have??  When is it ok to rest?  The freeze dried and dehydrated stuff would only last us 6mos. 

My pantry maybe another 3, if I keep it stocked...what are other families doing?

It's just my wife and I, and our dog, and we probably have enough for 6 months.  I feel for you -- teenage kids (who are growing so rapidly), especially boys, are just voracious eaters!

I'd feel more comfortable if we already had a year's worth.  But we keep building up our supply....

I guess my concern is that people who know we have a stockpile (but don't believe in what we believe and therefore aren't storing up food) would want to horn in on what we've laid up.  Now there's a dilly...

Viva -- Sager

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

Romans , I know what you mean about being in a panic at times .     I buy the things I can not raise  by the case when the stores have a sale .  Time goes by and a darn I have not  bought  olives in a while and the supply is low .   IT IS HARD  to keep everything stocked up . 

Ok I could make catsup  but the number of tomatoes  it would take to do so   does not make sense when I can grab it for  $.90 .    Ask around on price of things example   1 gallon of dehydrated onion flakes for $10  from the hospital cafeteria  Vs. how many onions , time , and electricity to dry them from your garden  ?    This  I did not even have to think about !     Spices from a restaurant supply .   Coffee , coffee,more coffee.  Pineapple and the treats we can not grow here .  My boys made the green house and raised beds , They have the supplies to make me a canning kitchen outside and  Do plan to get that root cellar built when the rain stops . Every year I plant more fruit trees , bushes ,and vines .

I keep three huge freezers full , I am not going to stop until I at least have 2-3 years of food in my basement because  you never know when , weather  or something will not cooperate .  One example is that    I have  beef in one freezer ,  some on the hoof for next year ,and bucket calves for the year after .   I have 90 acres of prairie hay field and 30 acre pasture  to keep going .   Same goes  with all the animals and their feed.

I have a lot of family to feed and 4 of the sons  are  in the teen + growing stage .  With a lot of girls and long hair   I am not good at making Shampoo so this I buy and store .  Every family is different and has different needs .  

Take your normal grocery list and  multiply it by the months you want  ...     My normal Amount to spend would be $1200  a month  so this has not been as easy as some put on here.    I buy canning supplies by the case , large mouth and small mouth flats . I have seed for three years  and the books to learn how to save them each year .  I added two boxes on the bee hive and see the brood is doing well .

I am not excited about buying a milk cow  but will do it if we can not get to the Amish each week .   I keep one refrigerator just for this .

One thing I can not seem to store enough of is Propane (  1000 gallons=.enough for a year) REALLY NEED TO MAKE A SOLAR heater . Gasoline  maybe five days  worth for the generator . 

We live off one income by choice  because I am a stay at home mom  . So there is never enough time or money to get everything done.    We have a couple years to have the place paid off and many times think about giving in an going into debt for a wind generator .    We have not one ounce of gold to our name . Our inheritance is  in the stock market with folks who will not listen  and our  Air Force and Railroad retirement checks will  be  well you know ... iffy at best .

Our prep for this week is hunter safety for the three younger kids  and a date night to go buy a new hand gun .. Yee haw !   No we really did splurge and go to the movie ROBIN HOOD  .  But a lot of times our fun for the week would be a trail ride on horseback ....  Except the Hubby  because he is a city boy  and It will have to get very bad before  he would even get his butt in a wagon . .. A golf cart is his idea of emergency vehicle !    I did give up the Suburban for a mini van and am not happy with it  as it only gets three more miles to the gallon , you can not haul squat in it ,  it rides close to the ground  and you can not pull a trailer !     Plus you can not put heavy duty tires on it and I am sure to be fixing flats.

I truly hope the rapture happens and someone else will be left behind to use all this stuff .  But just in case this is just another cycle in history I am preparing the best as comes my way ... one day at a time .

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments