Legit Gold dealers

40 posts / 0 new
Last post
plantguy90's picture
plantguy90
Legit Gold dealers

All I can find are Monex (Newport Beach CA), and NTMint (Auburn WA).  Silly quaetion, but I dont know these dealers from Adam.  Are they legit?    

Anyone here have compiled a list of good dealers?

Ruhh's picture
Ruhh
Re: Legit Gold dealers

I bought from Kitco and had good experiences so far. They're not the cheapest place but it was the closest for me here in Canada and the easiest place to buy exactly what I wanted.

stusual's picture
stusual

NW Territorial Mint is legit but very slow in delivery. Kitco is well known and well established. My personal favorite is APMEX.

They usually have the best prices. The deliver via the USPS. I have never had any kind of problem with them.

cnbbaldwin's picture
cnbbaldwin

I have used NWT Mint.  They were very professional and helpful, however, delivery had slowed considerably.  My last purchase on 7/14/08 was not received until 8/29/08.

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

I bot my first Eagle this week from my (only) local stamp and coin dealer. I guess I'm a trusting soul for this; he told me that a woman had just resold this back to him because she had bot it a few years ago and now needed the $, at a good profit. I talked with the guy a while. He's been here decades and isn't going anywhere. My BS indicator is pretty good. Also, no records...hand over cash, get handed a coin.

JMHO.

SG

reistr's picture
reistr

Not sure where you're writing from. Here in Canada you can buy Canadian Mint coins at the Bank of Nova Scotia, you can also find all the other official mint resellers at the Mint website.

If you're buying from dealers, then be aware of their reputaion, and make sure that the coins are in "mint" condition - Otherwise their value will decrease.

PS: I've been hearing about shortage of gold in this forum for months, but I have never seen a shortage at our downtown Scotiabank (in Calgary) - And in the bank the prices are based on a percentage over spot, unlike dealers, who put whatever premium they choose.

Best of luck!

suesullivan's picture
suesullivan

I've purchased twice from Colorado Gold. their prices are about the same as Kitco, which also looked good to me.

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba

I had problems with monex they overcharged me and have not refunded my money

since oct. 08 see my forum topic i posted today with the details. place NOT to buy gold.

avoid monaco financial, and zoomcoin. buy local if you can.

TimesAwasting's picture
TimesAwasting

I've bought from both Tulving and APMEX and both have been fine... pricing was fair/ competitive and both delivered within a week to 10 days.

1403west's picture
1403west

Has anyone ever heard of or used Bullion direct or Goldline--- both dot coms   I've waited about as long as I can stand it-- any advice would be appreciated

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd

I responded to joe2baba's posting about where not to buy gold, in which he details a bad experience with Monex.  I have actually had good experiences with Monex.  That is not to say it is necessarily the best place, but just that I had no problems, other than a slow delivery time, which many have noted.  At the time I placed my original order with Monex, I also called NWT Mint and Colorado Gold.  Prices were similar to Monex, and in the end, I just went with Monex as the atmosphere seemed more professional.

Jim Sinclair has written on his site (http://jsmineset.com/) about there being a way to buy at spot price directly from NYMEX (http://www.nymex.com/gol_fut_cso.aspx), and take physical delivery, but I haven't figured out how to do that, yet.  If anyone does figure that out, please let us know!

For reistr, I wish we in the U.S. could get gold directly from a bank, at just a percentage above spot, but that is not an option here, unfortunately.  Perhaps I should make a run to Canada, next time! 

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd

Oh, and for 1403west, I did look into Bullion Direct and Goldline, but just didn't feel comfortable with their websites, as I recall.  I don't think I called them and checked prices, though.

propamanda's picture
propamanda

I buy from Manfra, Tordella & Brookes, Inc.

www.mtbcoins.com

I live in New York City, so I can actually walk into their office near Wall St. and buy over the counter.  Everything is very legit.  They have a good amount of inventory.  It's been a very positive experience so far, and much cheaper than Kitco.  Also, I do not believe there is a minimum purchase required if you just want to pick up a few coins.

Thanks

Amanda

propamanda's picture
propamanda

Oh -

But I meant to add that you can order from them online.  I've just never tried it, since I can go to their office instead.

And the coins they sell you are brand-new-mint-condition.

Amanda

kass47's picture
kass47

Jason Hommel, silver commentator, lists dealers to use and avoid, below. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- http://news.silverseek.com/GoldIsMoney/1223517682.php You can also get a good price indication from the following dealers. I hope a few of them will bid in this auction! http://www.apmex.com -- good $50 minimum orders! http://www.milesfranklin.com http://www.tulving.com http://www.wexfordcoin.com/BullionBar.htm http://www.golddealer.com -- has never run out of all silver products http://www.caminocompany.com http://mishinternational.com/ http://www.rocklincoinshop.com/ http://www.coloradogold.com/ http://www.amark.com If I were you, I'd avoid the following dealers, for the following partial reasons: Avoid: Kitco - Pool program liability, little product, indefinite wait times, as listed at their own website. Perth Mint - $880 million certificate liability, as listed in their annual report. Johnson Matthey - 2 month wait times, not taking orders??? AGR Matthey - shut down Australia offices??? Amark - JM's primary dealer, mostly sold out, long wait times. Northwest Territorial Mint -- 2-4 month delays Monex -- $400 million US IRS lawsuit Goldline -- Sells "quasi - non - numismatics" on leverage.

1403west's picture
1403west

and then there is  ONLYGOLD.COM   the web site reads well

plantguy90's picture
plantguy90

Can we try to leave recommendations if you have actually made purchases from that company, whether online or in person?  a bit of detail would be nice, without going into dollars and cents, if you could honestly best describe an actual buying experience that would be very helpful. 

Third party website recommendations are ok, but please try to add in your own research and more detail so others can make qualified decisions. 

This would be a horrible place if shilling took place on this forum.

affert's picture
affert

I have purchase gold from CNI (www.golddealer.com) and ebay.  The ebay purchase was quite small.  It was expensive and had quick shipping.  CNI has fairly slow shipping if you pay by personal check, but they are upfront about this.

A question: has anyone purchase junk silver (specifically  pre-1965 US coins) in quantities smaller than $1,000 face value?  CNI only sells in this quantity, and we can't afford that much.  

plantguy90's picture
plantguy90

I just ordered from APMEX, I got a quick partial fill of my order, but I am still nervous.  The partial came earlier than expected, based on buy and ship dates, but the balance seems a day late.  Its my first buy, and I cant stand this.  Why would they send it in multiple packages?   Wouldn't it be cheaper to send it all at once? 

plantguy90's picture
plantguy90

I received my order and have calmed down.  APMEX is ok.  The MONEX broker I contacted initially keeps calling me.

cookstove's picture
cookstove

I have had good results on several orders with Apmex.  Unless they screw up on something, I'll stick with them.

mtnlaurel's picture
mtnlaurel

affert, I've purchased junk silver (Washington quarters, Kennedy halves $10 face value) from Apmex. So far I have no complaints with Apmex. about 1 week from ordering to delivery.

scbissler's picture
scbissler
affert wrote:

A question: has anyone purchase junk silver (specifically  pre-1965 US coins) in quantities smaller than $1,000 face value?  CNI only sells in this quantity, and we can't afford that much.  

Affert, I have used Camino Coins (which was mentioned as a dealer to use in Kass' earlier post) for both gold coin and junk silver purchases.  Both times I purchased the junk silver it was in quantities smaller than $1000 face value - I believe they were for approximately $200 face and $300 face.  I highly recommend them.  

mocmaker's picture
mocmaker
Re: Legit Gold Dealers

I have had several good experiences with www.onlygold.com. The only "drawback" with this site is the minimum purchase of ten Oz.... if that's not a problem, then there are no problems. All is professional, personally handled by the small staff, as advertised, and relatively speedy...recommended.

APMEX seems good, ordered silver on 5/08/09 and order was shipped on 5/20/09, as estimated at time of order. Recommended.

NWT Mint not so good... ordered a few sovereigns on 1/26/09 and after waiting long months they finally gave me an "estimated" shipping date of 5/15/09... but when that date arrived, they updated the "estimate" by pushing it back to 6/12/09.... why am I starting to feel there's something more going on here than meets the eye? Can't recommend.

Septimus's picture
Septimus
Re: Legit Gold Dealers

I have purchased from APMEX two times:

Once with a credit card (for speed of shipment) on 2 $10 and one $20 pre 1933 US gold coins, very quick delivery and product quality (grade) was accurately described. Once with a personal check for 2 1 oz Canadian maple leaf coins where they hold the coins until the check clears and they know it is really clear (took about 3 weeks to receive in that case). Was as they said upfront.

I recommend them from my personal experience.

They also place multiple full page ads in the weekly periodical Coin World so must have ample profits to pay for all those ads. they have a large numismatic business too, not just bullion.

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba

been awhile since i have visited this thread.

i have no experience personally with apmex but a very good friend has dealt with them for  years. she actually lived in edmond.

if i will purchase more pms it will be with apmex.

i had another encounter with monaco financial aka zoomcoin. they are a division of monex. i bought some st gaudens from them and the deal went sour. i got a call out of the blue from a different salesman who said he would make it right it is now two months later guess what i am still waiting .........but not holding my breath. deal with monex and the others mentioned at your own risk i certainly wont.

you can google them to get the horror stories of others well worth the time . wish i had done so first.

caveat emptor

redpill's picture
redpill

APMEX is excellent.  Unfortunately it means a paper trail but if you're going to have one anyway, they are top notch.

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson

used apmex a good bit, they're a bit more expensive to purchase from than the "Stott's" at...

...http://www.coloradogold.com/

robie

Nate's picture
Nate

Have purchased from different places.

NW Territorial Mint is legit but very slow in delivery.

Colorado Gold has low spreads and will buy the gold back.  Stott is an honest man.

I prefer to support the local dealers - cash and no records.

Coin shows are nice.  You can shop price real time and intercept sellers before they reach the dealers. A few years ago an 80 year old man wanted to dump his 90% US silver and I paid him 4x over face.  My pockets were so full I could hardly keep my pants up.

Nate

V's picture
V

Jack Beymer coins in Santa Rosa Ca. honest as the day is long. Great reputation

V

bsgreek's picture
bsgreek

Have ordered from Miles Franklin with a contact of Bob Sichel 1-800-814-3224.

Have placed 4 orders and each one was delivered as promised without a hitch. 

We did all our business over the phone.  Website is www.milesfranklin.com

Shipment comes from North Dakota. 

Hope this helps,

Bob Sanders

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments