At last - I'm not alone!

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat
At last - I'm not alone!

I stumbled upon the CC entirely by chance and am completely blown away. In a good way, of course. Over the past couple of years, I've felt this increasing pressure that "time was running out" and that "something bad was going to happen". For the longest time, I couldn't put my finger on it, and even after I could put my finger on it... I couldn't find the right words to describe that feeling to other people. Thanks to Chris, I now have it... "exponential function". I guess some of us are just more susceptible to noticing it's effects than others.

My husband and I have been planning to "drop out" and homestead for the past few years and have desperately been trying to speed up our plans by prioritizing. Our family and friends think we are nuts and are overreacting... "everything is going to be fine" and "you're really into conspiracy theory, aren't you?!". Many people have gone so far as to suggest that I might need to start wearing a little tinfoil hat. I was so frustrated because very few around me seemed to see the holistic trend going on around us, or how all of this just isn't sustainable. People look at me askance when I tell them that I think a crash is not as far off as they would like to believe, and that things will most likely be much worse than expected.

Finally! I'm so glad that I've found more people who at least admit the possibility exists. I'm not completely paranoid!  I was so moved by the CC, that all watched it straight through and then sent links to everyone I know and posted a link on every one of the forums I visit regularly. I even donated, which I almost never do because money is so tight. I truly appreciated the low-key delivery of the seminar, and that Chris didn't try to force-feed any solutions or cast blame on any one entity or event. The "scientific approach" was, perhaps, the thing that resonated the most for me because I process information much the same way. I kept seeing patterns in things, and I'm so glad that other people have noticed them, too.

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder
Re: At last - I'm not alone!

Welcome, PlicketyCat!

Indeed, you are not alone. If you haven't already done so, you might want to check the "Reader Survey" thread and find out more about all the interesting people that visit these forums. If you feel like it, you may even want to add your bio to the list.

Many of us, like you, have been accused by friends and family of wearing a little tinfoil hat. However, when the hard times descend, those same people will come to you looking for answers.

If you're like me, you'll slam the door in their face. Yell  JUST KIDDING!

Seriously, I hope you and your husband achieve a modicum of comfort as you surf through Chris' web site. He has indeed brought a level of comfort to us all.

Alex Szczech's picture
Alex Szczech

Cheers PicketyCat, your experience of viewing The Crash Course mirrored mine. I too found it a huge relief to discover someone acknowledging the world as I see it. I'm still worried sick about how the future, but its heartening to know I'm not alone.

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat

Thanks Sam. I'm going to cjeck out the Reader Survey thread.

I certainly hope no one comes knocking on my door for advice on what to do... because my answer would have to be "the best thing I can do is to take my little tinfoil hat and get the heck away from all of you"  LOL.

I feel so much better about my decisions to liquid my more volatile stocks, even at a loss, after reading through some of the discussions here.  I'm really beginning to believe that the time has come to "take the money and run"... at least in our circumstances.

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat

Hi Alex. I'm a bit worried, too. But, strangely, I'm less worried now than I was because I know that I really have been taking appropriate action given the situation. There's safety in numbers, so I guess I just needed a little non-emotional validation to set me at ease :)

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder
PlicketyCat wrote:

Thanks Sam. I'm going to cjeck out the Reader Survey thread.

I certainly hope no one comes knocking on my door for advice on what to do... because my answer would have to be "the best thing I can do is to take my little tinfoil hat and get the heck away from all of you"  LOL.

I feel so much better about my decisions to liquid my more volatile stocks, even at a loss, after reading through some of the discussions here.  I'm really beginning to believe that the time has come to "take the money and run"... at least in our circumstances.

Hi PlicketyCat,

One important thing to remember as you surf PeakProsperity.com - there are a wide range of opinions as to how to deal with the coming/current crisis. These range from Chris M. and 'Damnthematrix' returning to a farming lifestyle all the way to folks deciding (for any number of valid reasons) to "shelter in place".

Only you and your husband can determine what is right for you. I urge you to read as much as you can absorb, then look to your own comfort level. As Chris has said previously - trust yourself.

This site is filled with some really great folks who will be only too happy to answer any questions that you have so feel free to post on any existing topic or start more of your own.

As busy as they are, Chris M., and his wife Becca, have even been known to respond directly to questions!  Surprised

annie's picture
annie

Hi Plickety Cat, Alex and Sam.

I'm with you.  I'm also tired of being considered some kind of weirdo for having the timidity to suggest that we have a serious problem. It helps I guess to have a good sense of humour!  Many of my family members don't seem to have the first clue and until I found this site, the energy bulletin and others, I too felt very isolated.

What's worse is that many of my family are in the UK.  I can't help thinking that being on a small island with seriously declining North sea oil, a tanking economy and way too many people, that it's not a good place to hang out.  That is also particularly true if the gulf stream stops as all their lovely temperate climate will change to one where they can't grow a thing except for three months of the year and for the rest, they'll be knitting their woolies!

I'm from Calgary, Canada and we know cold!

Anyway, it's really nice to have the support offered by this site.

Annie

ps.  I note people talk of moving here.  If anyone is thinking of it, be careful of the weather.  Really check it out before you come. 

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson

Welcome aboard PlicketyCat.

Thank you for the words and actions of support.

I can well remember when I ("we" actually, as this involves my whole immediate family) first began to poke our heads out of one 'reality' into another.

One of the dominant themes of the "rescue" attempts launched by our immediate family and friends was that we were somehow the nutty ones. 

But one could also glance around and wonder at a nation with:

• The largest number of its population in prison
  • Epidemic levels of obesity
  • Rampant use of psychotropic drugs in children to control their behavior
  • Extremely high levels of violence compared to its peer nations

Collectively these and other indicators might indicate to an outside observer that there was be a slight wrinkle in the fabric of greatness we'd all been led to believe was ours to wear proudly.

Said another way, evidence abounds within our most observable cultural attributes that some level of scrutiny was in order.

But once we get to the elements of the story that are completely ignored by our media and even most of or entire education system?   Ah.  That's where the story gets really interesting and where the Crash Course picks up a few threads and holds them to the light.  

And it's here where the story takes an interesting turn.  Who is offering dark visions for the future; the ones recognizing the necessity for change or those promoting a blind adherence to the status quo?   Well, if you are speeding towards a brick wall in a sports car I suppose it would not be the one arguing to turn the wheel.

Of course, now that these former detractors have felt the recent impacts to their portfolios and even livelihoods in some cases the territory is softer than it used to be.  But even now I often find that most don't want to hear that even more change is on the way.

That's perfectly understandable I suppose, but not how I choose to approach life.  I am thankful for all the people I have met who share this sense of not only the inevitability, but the necessity, of the change that is now upon us.

Best,
Chris 

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat
SamLinder wrote:

Hi PlicketyCat,

One important thing to remember as you surf PeakProsperity.com - there are a wide range of opinions as to how to deal with the coming/current crisis. These range from Chris M. and 'Damnthematrix' returning to a farming lifestyle all the way to folks deciding (for any number of valid reasons) to "shelter in place".

Only you and your husband can determine what is right for you. I urge you to read as much as you can absorb, then look to your own comfort level. As Chris has said previously - trust yourself.

This site is filled with some really great folks who will be only too happy to answer any questions that you have so feel free to post on any existing topic or start more of your own.

As busy as they are, Chris M., and his wife Becca, have even been known to respond directly to questions!  Surprised

I know my solutions aren't going to be everyone's because my importances and priorities are completely different. That's what I really liked about the conclusion of CC. DH & I are bugging out and returning to the farming lifestyle because we can't entrench in place and we don't want to be anywhere near a city when the SHTF!  But that's us, I can understand other's desires and decisions to stay where they are... if we were in a safer location and had our house paid off, we'd probably stay put, too, so as not to lose money in relocation costs. But our remote land is paid for and we can build from materials onsite. Our current city house isn't paid for, we can't provide for ourselves on this land, and we are way too close to a potential mob problem if things go pear-shaped.

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat
annie wrote:

Hi Plickety Cat, Alex and Sam.

I'm with you.  I'm also tired of being considered some kind of weirdo for having the timidity to suggest that we have a serious problem. It helps I guess to have a good sense of humour!  Many of my family members don't seem to have the first clue and until I found this site, the energy bulletin and others, I too felt very isolated.

What's worse is that many of my family are in the UK.  I can't help thinking that being on a small island with seriously declining North sea oil, a tanking economy and way too many people, that it's not a good place to hang out.  That is also particularly true if the gulf stream stops as all their lovely temperate climate will change to one where they can't grow a thing except for three months of the year and for the rest, they'll be knitting their woolies!

I'm from Calgary, Canada and we know cold!

Anyway, it's really nice to have the support offered by this site.

Annie

ps.  I note people talk of moving here.  If anyone is thinking of it, be careful of the weather.  Really check it out before you come. 

Hi Annie!  My husband is from Newcastle Upon Tyne, and we are very very happy that we decided to stay here in the US (my country of origin) rather than moving back to the UK. If we'd relocated then, we would never have found a remote area to homestead. We'll be way up in Alaska, so we have to factor in the weather and reduction in growing season... luckily, we'll already be prepared for a 100 day growing season, so losing a few days if temps drop won't be anything new for us. Thank goodness there are miles and miles of nothing but trees surrounding our property since we'll be using that to stay warm through the winter :)

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat
cmartenson wrote:

Welcome aboard PlicketyCat.

Thank you for the words and actions of support.

I can well remember when I ("we" actually, as this involves my whole immediate family) first began to poke our heads out of one 'reality' into another.

One of the dominant themes of the "rescue" attempts launched by our immediate family and friends was that we were somehow the nutty ones. 

But one could also glance around and wonder at a nation with:

• The largest number of its population in prison
  • Epidemic levels of obesity
  • Rampant use of psychotropic drugs in children to control their behavior
  • Extremely high levels of violence compared to its peer nations

Collectively these and other indicators might indicate to an outside observer that there was be a slight wrinkle in the fabric of greatness we'd all been led to believe was ours to wear proudly.

Said another way, evidence abounds within our most observable cultural attributes that some level of scrutiny was in order.

But once we get to the elements of the story that are completely ignored by our media and even most of or entire education system?   Ah.  That's where the story gets really interesting and where the Crash Course picks up a few threads and holds them to the light.  

And it's here where the story takes an interesting turn.  Who is offering dark visions for the future; the ones recognizing the necessity for change or those promoting a blind adherence to the status quo?   Well, if you are speeding towards a brick wall in a sports car I suppose it would not be the one arguing to turn the wheel.

Of course, now that these former detractors have felt the recent impacts to their portfolios and even livelihoods in some cases the territory is softer than it used to be.  But even now I often find that most don't want to hear that even more change is on the way.

That's perfectly understandable I suppose, but not how I choose to approach life.  I am thankful for all the people I have met who share this sense of not only the inevitability, but the necessity, of the change that is now upon us.

Best,
Chris 

Several members of my family are still trying to give me financial advice that I consider extremly unsound. Maybe 100 years ago it would have made sense, but not now. I pointed out that my grandmothers estate declined in value by 2/3's in the 14 months it was in probate. 2/3's in 14 months... and my father gave me grief about cashing out the investments (at a loss) and using the cash to pay off my land instead. He just couldn't wrap his head around why 1) I cashed out the investments instead of leaving them there, and 2) why I didn't take that cash to pay down my current mortgage instead of using it to pay off my other property.  Even though his retirement portfolio and military pension have reduced to a point that he and my mother sold their home (before the crash - lucky them) and moved to a less expensive area to buy a new home in cash. I finally gave up trying to explain myself! 

My parents also think I'm insane on the food issues, too. They can't understand why I'd be willing to pay 10% more for local, organic food directly from the farmers rather than just buying the supermarket food. They don't get why I've gone whole foods as much as possible and read food labels obsessively to reduce the amount of additives and weird crap I'm eating.  Meanwhile, my improved nutritional status and improved health, and subsequent reduction of healthcare costs is just chalked up to being younger than they are!!  Of course, mom takes a handful of antidepressants everyday, and dad's the type to believe what the government tells him. It makes me want to bang my head against the wall sometimes! But it's easier just to give up trying to explain myself!

Friends and family would be aghast if they knew that we may actually knowingly RUIN our credit rating in order to protect ourselves from financial ruin!  GASP!!!  You simply cannot ruin your credit rating, it's unthinkable! We have no credit card or automobile debt, all our college loans are paid off, we aren't taking out a loan to build the new place... the only debt we have is this @%#$# house we currently live in that has gone $85k into the red in the last 8 months!

DurangoKid's picture
DurangoKid

You've known for quite some time that something isn't right.  It doesn't add up.  It makes a kind of sense that doesn't.  You've been offered the red pill and swallowed it.  Now the truth and nothing more.

The Matrix is a world where parcels of physical reality are represented by a price in a market.  We are told that a price is a perfect representation because all costs are reflected in the price and all participants in the market are free to refuse this chunk of physical reality if the price is too dear.  The market resolves all conflicts.  It finds the highest and best use for all commodities.  The playing field is level and we're all equal.  This is what you get if you take the blue pill.

If you take the red pill, you learn that the realm of physical reality and the realm of markets are only loosely coupled.  The system can be spoofed.  Some costs can be externalized and thus hidden.  The physical world is materially finite and the financial world is infinite.  To be sustainable the physical world must preserve its integrity by having all processes feed a subsequent process.  Waste for one is fodder for the next.  In the financial world matter must continually exit the system in order to ensure scarcity and demand.  The Matrix is meant to insure that world of physical reality and the world of markets will never collide.

Except that they can and in fact the collision is happening now.  What the monetary system demands of the physical world is in the long term impossible.  We've gotten about half way through the industrial era and the red pill takers have learned that from the half way point on, the Matrix is doomed to collapse.  Its Agents will continue to foist lies and persecute the red pill takers.  They will invent new debt instruments or expand the collective debt to new levels, but it will avail them nothing.  The level of complexity that sustains the Matrix ultimately depends on physical reality and will be so constrained.

The red pill takers are not yet free of the Matrix.  They live beside it, under it, near it, but they are not exactly part of it.  The construct no longer holds its fascination. The collapse of the Matrix is in motion.  It's like the hour hand on a clock.  You watch it and it appears still.  Turn away and look again and something is different.  The red pill takers see the disparity between what they are told and what is.  The mission for the red pill takers is to maintain enough detachment from the Matrix so that when the collapse accelerates, they are not sucked into it.  Surviving the Matrix means a constant strategic retreat from its influence.

The Matrix may evolve into a new form in order to avert collapse.  For the red pill takers the new Matrix will be as obvious as the previous incarnation.  The new Matrix will continue to promise something for nothing.  Obey and you will be rewarded.  It will tell us that wealth without work is the preferred state.  It will say things like, "Trust me" and "Have a nice day" and "Everybody has some debt".  The red pill takers must be ever vigilant and ready to cast the money changers out of the temple.

annie's picture
annie

Hello PC

It's great you've found somewhere that's remote and at least you'll have lots of sun during the growing season.  How are your pickling skills?  An added bonus is that it's a very beautiful place to be.  We're at 3000 feet here so it's very hard to grow anything.  Plus I'm in a town setting right now but am trying to make moves to homestead like you, probably in BC.

Doesn't all this sometimes feel like a last night in the pub?  I do miss the UK for all the characters you meet in the pub as well as many other factors of British life, even though I love Canada.  Have you spent anythime in the UK?

Best of luck.  Let us know how it goes.

Annie

Also if you read this Chris, many thanks to you for an very informative site.  I love it!  Keep up the good work.  Podcasts are terrific too.

poisonivy113's picture
poisonivy113
PlicketyCat wrote:
cmartenson wrote:

Friends and family would be aghast if they knew that we may actually knowingly RUIN our credit rating in order to protect ourselves from financial ruin!  GASP!!!  You simply cannot ruin your credit rating, it's unthinkable! We have no credit card or automobile debt, all our college loans are paid off, we aren't taking out a loan to build the new place... the only debt we have is this @%#$# house we currently live in that has gone $85k into the red in the last 8 months!

Amazing how you don't need a credit rating if you don't plan to borrow money again! If you are familiar with financial author Dave Ramsey, well, he's a multimillionaire  and became that way without any debt. He doesn't even have a credit score, it's been so long since he borrowed any money. If he wants something...say a house ...he just pays cash! (I don't agree with his advice on how to invest, but he's proof that debt free works) 

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat
DurangoKid wrote:

You've known for quite some time that something isn't right.  It doesn't add up.  It makes a kind of sense that doesn't.  You've been offered the red pill and swallowed it.  Now the truth and nothing more.

The Matrix is a world where parcels of physical reality are represented by a price in a market.  We are told that a price is a perfect representation because all costs are reflected in the price and all participants in the market are free to refuse this chunk of physical reality if the price is too dear.  The market resolves all conflicts.  It finds the highest and best use for all commodities.  The playing field is level and we're all equal.  This is what you get if you take the blue pill.

If you take the red pill, you learn that the realm of physical reality and the realm of markets are only loosely coupled.  The system can be spoofed.  Some costs can be externalized and thus hidden.  The physical world is materially finite and the financial world is infinite.  To be sustainable the physical world must preserve its integrity by having all processes feed a subsequent process.  Waste for one is fodder for the next.  In the financial world matter must continually exit the system in order to ensure scarcity and demand.  The Matrix is meant to insure that world of physical reality and the world of markets will never collide.

Except that they can and in fact the collision is happening now.  What the monetary system demands of the physical world is in the long term impossible.  We've gotten about half way through the industrial era and the red pill takers have learned that from the half way point on, the Matrix is doomed to collapse.  Its Agents will continue to foist lies and persecute the red pill takers.  They will invent new debt instruments or expand the collective debt to new levels, but it will avail them nothing.  The level of complexity that sustains the Matrix ultimately depends on physical reality and will be so constrained.

The red pill takers are not yet free of the Matrix.  They live beside it, under it, near it, but they are not exactly part of it.  The construct no longer holds its fascination. The collapse of the Matrix is in motion.  It's like the hour hand on a clock.  You watch it and it appears still.  Turn away and look again and something is different.  The red pill takers see the disparity between what they are told and what is.  The mission for the red pill takers is to maintain enough detachment from the Matrix so that when the collapse accelerates, they are not sucked into it.  Surviving the Matrix means a constant strategic retreat from its influence.

The Matrix may evolve into a new form in order to avert collapse.  For the red pill takers the new Matrix will be as obvious as the previous incarnation.  The new Matrix will continue to promise something for nothing.  Obey and you will be rewarded.  It will tell us that wealth without work is the preferred state.  It will say things like, "Trust me" and "Have a nice day" and "Everybody has some debt".  The red pill takers must be ever vigilant and ready to cast the money changers out of the temple.

I agree with the analogy. I think I swallowed the red pill very shortly after high school (89), but I must have gotten a slow release capsule because, while things didn't look and feel quite right, I wasn't able to completely break free from the mind-wash until about 5 years ago (too bad I'd already bought this @#[email protected] house by then - like a good little American).  Before I was diagnosed with Asperger's (autism), I often wondered if something was wrong with what i was seeing... now, I think that my Aspergers has actually helped me be less manipulated by the Sheeple herders!

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat
annie wrote:

Hello PC

It's great you've found somewhere that's remote and at least you'll have lots of sun during the growing season.  How are your pickling skills?  An added bonus is that it's a very beautiful place to be.  We're at 3000 feet here so it's very hard to grow anything.  Plus I'm in a town setting right now but am trying to make moves to homestead like you, probably in BC.

Doesn't all this sometimes feel like a last night in the pub?  I do miss the UK for all the characters you meet in the pub as well as many other factors of British life, even though I love Canada.  Have you spent anythime in the UK?

Best of luck.  Let us know how it goes.

Annie

Also if you read this Chris, many thanks to you for an very informative site.  I love it!  Keep up the good work.  Podcasts are terrific too.

Yep, swapping growing days for extended photoperiod makes up the deficit (except for eggplant, and who eats those anyway LOL!). My pickling skills were good, so I'm buffing them again now where my life doesn't completely depend on it. I love pickles of all kind, so this storage method is great for me. We're also taking a class on meat curing and smoking from one of the local farmers... I can't wait. At least we know that our root cellar up in AK will be just as cold a refrigerator all year round...one less thing that requires energy!

I haven't spent much time in the UK (one brief flight layover in London). Hubby syas I'm not missing much since "I don't do people" -- but I do wish that I could see some of the sights since I grew up in Germany and absolutely love the historical architecture in Europe.  Maybe after the "Collapse" we can make a Pilgrimage when there are less people about... sorry, I know that sounds horrible, but I really can't handle large crowds!

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat
poisonivy113 wrote:

Amazing how you don't need a credit rating if you don't plan to borrow money again! If you are familiar with financial author Dave Ramsey, well, he's a multimillionaire  and became that way without any debt. He doesn't even have a credit score, it's been so long since he borrowed any money. If he wants something...say a house ...he just pays cash! (I don't agree with his advice on how to invest, but he's proof that debt free works) 

I know!! This is something my husband and I have been discussing ever since the property values started to tank and we noticed none of the houses in the neighbor were selling. It's costing us too much to stay in this house, and if the real estate bubble bursts completely we're looking at losing over $200k... more than 2 years salary!  It's going to take at least 7 years for the economy to straighten out... so even if our credit got messed up with a default, it would be cleared up by the time we'd crawl out of hiding and rejoin the world (not likely - we like our homestead idea!). No credit, no problem, don't need it!!!

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

"I'm with you.  I'm also tired of being considered some kind of weirdo
for having the timidity to suggest that we have a serious problem."

I think you mean temerity?

Anyhow, that's what happens when you belong to the smartest 5% of the population!   Wink

Have you picked a place to move to yet?

Mike 

annie's picture
annie

Hi Mike

I royally failed to make the top 5% with that one!  Umm...yes that would be temerity.  Late night, I guess.

We've looked at several areas in BC and even Ontario as there's some decent land there and it's significantly cheaper but we haven't made a choice yet.  The trouble with BC is that rural land is still gloriously over priced.  Up until nine months ago, Calgary was the El Dorado of Canada and as such it's been the economic driver of both Alberta and BC.  People are just as over extended here as elsewhere, except they've been under the gun for less time.  That has essentially kept rural prices high because the condo/rec lake property market holders are still hanging on and probably will for quite some time yet.

The big question is, do you buy land when it is still over priced because it's land and who knows how long we've got or do we wait it out?  I've been very careful not to take on any debt but I can't help feeling that if things deteriorate quickly that pocession of the land will be nine tenths of the law and at that point it might be tough to get hold of any.  Do you have any suggestions, as I'm really stuck on this one?  I know that the rate of decline will play a major role but that doesn't help me much at this point.

Annie

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat

Annie, I know how you feel. We worried about the costs of land and tried to weigh our risks. For us, it just made more sense to put our money into the remote land instead of waiting or putting that money into our current city house. Remote land was essential for us because we think it will be very bad to be near any large population areas if a collapse occurs, that helped us out because land in the boonies was significantly less expensive (although other incremental costs are higher). But we were lucky that we had just enough cash not to incur debt for the purchase. 

I'd be worried that, although land prices might go down, the value of your dollar would also go down so you'd be in the same predicament either way - not an easy situation.

annie's picture
annie

Hi Plickety Cat

Thanks for your input and I'm happy that you've made your choice because I think once you take the leap, things get easier.  The trouble is I really like BC.  I could move up north and that remains a possibility but it's very hard to check out because it's so inaccessible and those places you can access are likely to be crown land.  Moving there would also be a logistical nightmare.

In the meantime, I'll fix this place up so I can sell it asap.  Then my family can wonder what on earth I'm doing, much like yours!

Thanks

Annie

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat

If the market is still good in your area, fixing your house up to sell is a great start. For us, the market fell so fast that it would be an unrecoverable loss of money to fix ours up for sale... throwing good money after bad, as they say. Even if you haven't settled on a destination yet, you'll be in a much better position to pull up stakes if you're not tied to a mortgage and renting instead. Plus you might still be able to get some equity out of your house and improve your financial situation. Best of luck to you!

Amanda V's picture
Amanda V

Annie, I know Chris Martenson has not bought his land yet.  He is waiting to buy an acre per once of gold.  He says he won't necessarily wait till land hits rock bottom in price, as a compensation for being able to get started on the land planting and other preparations.

Chris if you read this, I hope I am "quoting" you correctly.

Still, follow your instinct and do what is right for you.  I wonder about buying too remotely as we still need communities, you will still need people and doctors etc, not to mention friends.  And if petrol costs the earth, and the donkey is sick, you are very stuck.

hydrodog's picture
hydrodog

I have been preparing for a long time and it has been very lonely .....the senario that I've planned for isn't playing out the way I thought it would...energy and commodity prices haven't skyrocketed as I thought they would but this may be just a matter of time............one thing for sure is ..... without sound principals in place ..... it will continue to get worse...... so.......

it would be nice to have a brotherhood of like minded people who would help each other out........one man can do just so much but a half dozen men can do what a dozen men, working independently can do........ I'm in the Conneticut River Valley....... where are you........

Are we close enough to form a society of friends who believe in actions not just words.............My email is available form this website............. chris K

Amanda V's picture
Amanda V

Hydrogod - or did I just make a freudian slip

Love your idea. 

It seems from reading these forums for a while now that community is the one major important thing to have in terms of being prepared. 

The nuisance is that when trying to prepare, it seems the "community" is not interested in this scare mongering about collapse, and nobody wants to even hear about it, let alone prepare in any way.

So yes, maybe finding like minded people on the internet is not a bad idea.

I live in New Zealand so am not a suitable candidate for a nearby community for you!  I would quite like a wee community on some rural land in NZ, but am realistic that it is not as easy as it sounds.  I have heard most "communes" have difficulties in decision making eventually and eventually break up.  Besides many other difficulties.

Alternatively the trouble with all owning your own nearby property is that you can't choose your neighbours.  And often you don't get to know them till you buy the bit next door anyway. 

The more I rack my brain the more I realise there is no one solution and there has to be a compromise somewhere. 

I wonder if, apart from this thread, there is a better way for you to reach more people with your great idea.  But can't think of anything off hand.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments