The largest transfer of wealth in history

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
switters's picture
switters
The largest transfer of wealth in history

Dr. Michael Hudson, a financial economist and historian, gives a transparent and qualified account of the economic circumstances
we find ourselves in. It is the largest transfer of wealth that has
ever been facilitated in history.

Guns and Butter - "The Way We Were and What We Are Becoming"

"The
Way We Were and What We Are Becoming" with financial economist and
historian, Dr. Michael Hudson.  We begin with an analysis of the
continuing bailout of insurance giant AIG and Monday's stock market
selloff; price and debt deflation; the two sectors of the economy; two
definitions of 'free markets'; the classical economists; revolution
from the right and the former Soviet states; the threat of war;
IMF/World Bank resurgence; the dollar versus the euro; analogies to
Rome, neo-feudalism.

The audio program can be streamed and downloaded here.  

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Re: The largest transfer of wealth in history

Chris -

I listened at work today.  Hudson made a lot of exceptional points - I thought the Revolution from the Right segment was fascinating.  He seemed to get a little manic and wild-eyed with the over use of "neo-liberal" and went high and right on the New World Order undercurrent.  I thought his rant over the government of Iceland alledgedly telling its residents to commit suicide was way over the top - I couldn't figure out if he was joking or not.  That got a bit distracting.

Even at an hour long it was a great listen.

Linda K's picture
Linda K

Hey Chris

Do we live in the same town or what? (well almost) I put this same link up yesterday. Thought it dovetailed nicely with the Orlov talk. Made me think differently while tending my potatoes - not so much urban farmer but more feudal peasant. 

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/interview-dr-michael-hudson/14435

switters's picture
switters

DIAP,

I agree with you and was put-off by some of his comments.  Overall, though, I think he's right on about what's happening with these bailouts.  It's all about protecting the wealth of the top 1%, or increasing it, and has nothing whatsoever to do with what they say it does, i.e. rescuing citizens.

Linda,

Sorry I missed your post!  I'm pretty slammed these days and haven't been keeping up on CM as much as I had been.  It does dovetail with Orlov's talk, doesn't it?  

Take care,

Chris

mainecooncat's picture
mainecooncat
Chris Kresser wrote:

I think he's right on about what's happening with these bailouts.  It's all about protecting the wealth of the top 1%, or increasing it, and has nothing whatsoever to do with what they say it does, i.e. rescuing citizens.

Completely agree with above sentiment.

Hey Chris,

Long-time, no talk. Glad to see you posting this. I'll have to check it out later tonight. We still need to have our Greer discussion we were on the verge of starting a couple of months back.

switters's picture
switters

Hey MCC,

Yeah, let's do that.  I've actually enjoyed his more recent posts, The Investment Delusion and The End of Retirement.  He seems to have moved on from his criticism of the Transition movement and other initiatives for change.  He's back to what he does best: critiquing modern civilization and outlining its inevitable decline.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments