Land of the free

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Josey's picture
Josey
Land of the free

Item 1: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sc-dc-0517-court-search-20110516,0,5858981.story

Item 2: http://www.foxbusiness.com/on-air/stossel/blog/2011/05/16/philly-police-harass-threaten-shoot-man-legally-carrying-gun?test=latestnews

And then there's the Patriot Act, full body scanners, the Citizens United ruling, surveillance drones used within our borders, etc,......

Gee, there seems to be a trend.

Josey

Tapani's picture
Tapani
Those stories still show

Those stories still show enormous freedom to someone across the pond...

Here in Sweden the decision to search a person, car, home etc. can be made by an individual policeman (but in practice is done by a senior policeman, or the leader of an investigation). No courts or even paperwork needed.

There also no court that could try if behaviour is constitutional. In practice the police does as they please, trying to drag a police to court is meaningless (statistically policemen get freed waay more than others).

This story amazed me the most; here in Sweden the situation would have been:

a) You are not allowed to own guns (you can get a license, but only for very specific purposes -- like hunting). You are not allowed to even carry a (concealed or not) knife in public.

b) You have to obey an order from a policeman.

c) You have to identify yourself to the police (from which your adress is public knowledge) when requested by a policeman, refusing is grounds for detainment until they find out your identity.

d) Trying to record the police would give the police rights to erase the recording or confiscate the recorder (the courts have sided with the police in such cases).

e) Also police has the right to detain anyone for 24h for forced drug testing (which is sometimes used as a method of harassment).

Josey wrote:

And then there's the Patriot Act, full body scanners, the Citizens United ruling, surveillance drones used within our borders, etc,......

Gee, there seems to be a trend.

Josey

Those are nothing. I could write a long rant here how much better... or less worse... things are over there still. but that would take this thread way off topic. Regardless, enjoy your freedom before things get even worse Smile

Josey's picture
Josey
Tapani, Very interesting! I

Tapani,

Very interesting! I had no idea.

I should say that I grew up in a rural environment and although I've lived in several major cities, I now live in a rural environment again. I tend to carry a lot of those ideas with me. Everyone that I knew growing up had several guns and probably hunted. It simply wasn't a big deal. These last few years have made my head spin and both major political parties are involved. Torture, indefinite detention, corporate rule, ...this is not the idea of America that I grew up with. And note: I've always considered myself a liberal. I still do on most issues. Goes to show how useless and pointless our designation of party affiliations are. Frankly, I gave up politics and picked up a hoe. However, I still want that right to protect my home and those I love. I'm not a violent person but guns do pretty well at this.

I've always wanted to visit Sweden and still do but I'm completely ignorant of the culture and laws. Your comments give me something to think about and I guess something to be thankful about. Thanks for the response.

Josey

idoctor's picture
idoctor
(No subject)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments