Koran / Qu'ran burning insanity

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
jumblies's picture
jumblies
Koran / Qu'ran burning insanity

Plenty of stories around about "pastor" Terry Jones from the Dove World Outreach Center planning to burn several copies of the Koran to show those Al Queda swine that this time he means business. Of course, insulting an entire religion because of a minority of fanatics merely paints himself as a fanatic. Setting aside my issues with religion (especially organised), this imbecile is simply inciting a riot (at best) and a war (at worst).

But my question is this...do the US authorities actually want this to happen? 

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE68709M20100909

The United States has powerful legal protections for the right to free speech and there is little law enforcement authorities can do to stop Jones from going ahead, other than citing him under local bylaws against public burning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11243711

US officials say they cannot intervene as the church's actions would probably be protected by the US constitution's guarantee of freedom of speech.

Given the various legal and libertarian transgressions that the US commits (routinely), are we seriously meant to believe that one fruitcake who could actually cause a national security risk is unable to be stopped? Really? Is this not inciting terrorism?

Or is this a charade? Do they want this to happen so radicalism is galvanised, Al Queda (or someone "ethnic") reacts, the troops can be sent back in and the defence contractors can begin to make do on their bullish outlook.

Something there, or am I just being cynical? (more than usual)

A. M.'s picture
A. M.
Re: Koran / Qu'ran burning insanity

Probably not.

The leadership here would rather ignore the realities of Islam than address them b force.

What we're seeing is the culmination of about 700 years worth of Christian dominance in a world that cycles through religious rule by conquest.

Islam is simply continuing what it started millenia ago.

Cheers,

Aaron

nickbert's picture
nickbert

I think it probably just is what it is, without any devious plot behind it.  The reason I say that is it's a political hot potato on multiple levels for elected officials, so they probably don't want to take any visible action for fear of being castrated one way or the other by the media (he/she's a "intolerant hate-monger" or he/she's a "spineless political-correctness wuss").  Possibly they might use some shady tricks to exercise leverage on the preacher like a veiled threat of IRS scrutiny on their tax-exempt status, but more than likely most officials are just going to avoid the issue and hope it goes away on it's own.  And if the idea was to create or promote a false flag situation for the purpose of galvanizing the country towards some agenda, the kind of messy ground-level hatred and insurgence this book burning could inspire ( an American presence) is probably least desirable.  Much simpler and tidier to set up a specific nation (preferably resource-rich) as a target of a propaganda or false flag agenda where blame or negative sentiment is easily placed and directed.  Getting religion involved directly would just be too messy, especially given the history involved. 

- Nickbert

Diogenknees's picture
Diogenknees
jumblies wrote:

Plenty of stories around about "pastor" Terry Jones from the Dove World Outreach Center planning to burn several copies of the Koran to show those Al Queda swine that this time he means business. Of course, insulting an entire religion because of a minority of fanatics merely paints himself as a fanatic. Setting aside my issues with religion (especially organised), this imbecile is simply inciting a riot (at best) and a war (at worst).

The United States has powerful legal protections for the right to free speech and there is little law enforcement authorities can do to stop Jones from going ahead, other than citing him under local bylaws against public burning.

US officials say they cannot intervene as the church's actions would probably be protected by the US constitution's guarantee of freedom of speech.

Given the various legal and libertarian transgressions that the US commits (routinely), are we seriously meant to believe that one fruitcake who could actually cause a national security risk is unable to be stopped? Really? Is this not inciting terrorism?

Or is this a charade? Do they want this to happen so radicalism is galvanised, Al Queda (or someone "ethnic") reacts, the troops can be sent back in and the defence contractors can begin to make do on their bullish outlook.

Just another  "look there's a shiny thing" media moment. Nobody would even know this was going to happen without some media coverage. I guess one would have to see who broke the story and follow up the chain.......

A. M.'s picture
A. M.
Quote:

Just another  "look there's a shiny thing" media moment. Nobody would even know this was going to happen without some media coverage. I guess one would have to see who broke the story and follow up the chain.......

For sure.

If the media didn't smell blood, and seriously cared about the troops, they just wouldn't carry the story.

Interesting, isn't it?

Bottom line - Islam and the West are incompatible on a fundemental level. Conflict = unavoidable.

Cheers,

Aaron

earthwise's picture
earthwise
jumblies wrote:

I dont' think US authorities actually want this to happen. When citizens have freedom of speech then vulgar and/or incindiary things inevitably will be protected, like burning of the American flag or naked men dancing in gay rights parades, for example. TPTB neither condone nor condemn unless political hay can be made of it. Otherwise they just look the other way and get back to the business of selling us out.

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun

I'd be surprised if the US Gov't doesn't take advantage of this by forcing through some legislation or ? to tighten our 1st Amendment rights.  Anyone that thinks different, doesn't understand what the ultimate goal is of this gov't.  

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

I believe that as things get hairier and hairier out there, we'll see more of these sorts of asinine exercises.  i.e., as things become more and more unstable, folks will cast about for ways to assert their identity and gather around whatever sorts of campfires they feel help define/strengthen them.  The fact that burning Qurans (or whatever symbol) is essentially an empty gesture (in terms of accomplishing anything tangible) is just another example of the way most people mistake the menu for the meal.  

IMO, if the minister in question spent more time organizing his congregation around resilience, he'd actually be acting in a more Christian manner -- caretaking his flock -- as opposed to stirring a dangerous/hateful pot.

Of course, this entire post comes after the minister in question has cancelled the burning.  Who knows what sort of pressure was brought to bear?  But just because they're not going to burn Qurans doesn't mean they had a sudden epiphany ("Hey gang, let's do something *constructive*!!!").

Viva -- Sager

Doug's picture
Doug

Last I heard, the burning may be back on.  The preacher talked to an Imam (not the one from Manhattan) and supposedly the worked out a deal so the preacher could call off the burning.  However, when both were interviewed independently, they had very different stories about what they agreed to.  Of course there is no written record, so its he said - he said.

I doubt the gummit is behind all this, its just a convenient diversion so we don't look behind the curtain too much before the election.  Or, after it for that matter.  Have you heard a politician talk about peak oil yet?

Doug

barrt's picture
barrt
Time to storm The Bastille Of Words

This is all over the mass media now in europe. The question for me is why? why dont they do the sensible thing and ignore him? They certainly are good at that!

The United States has powerful legal protections for the right to free speech and there is little law enforcement authorities can do to stop Jones from going ahead

Oh yeah? How about just play the whole thing down instead? End of story, no?

Now look;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/sep/10/quran-burning-nato-troops-shoot

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11258739

Great work MSM guys. Are you all morons? Didnt you realise? or is this escalation? provocation? manipulation? This will not be seen as a 'crazy old fool doing something ignorant outside a crumbling old church' by the time the story reaches Iraq and Afghanistan.

In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way. - FDR (?)

This, to me, is both scary and disgusting beyong words. Its all just PR (propaganda)

John Pilger, must see great speech "....It was time to storm what he called The Bastille Of Words, that time is now..."

/http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4258131083758254736#

SteveW's picture
SteveW
LogansRun wrote:

I'd be surprised if the US Gov't doesn't take advantage of this by forcing through some legislation or ? to tighten our 1st Amendment rights.  Anyone that thinks different, doesn't understand what the ultimate goal is of this gov't.  

That's an interesting point and although I thought freedom of speech was sacrosanct in the US I understand he's been leaned on fairly heavily by TPTB.

In Canada, as in many societies, such action would undoubtedly be illegal and prosecuted under Hate Speech laws which protect identified groups from actions that are likely to incite violence.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments