Kiwi overseas looking for New Zealand contacts

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
mstjane's picture
mstjane
Kiwi overseas looking for New Zealand contacts

I am looking in to relocating my family back to New Zealand and setting up a self sustained community (preferrable off grid)

Are there any other kiwis on the forum who are overseas or in New Zealand who would like to start a discussion please?

Brainless's picture
Brainless
Re: Kiwi overseas looking for New Zealand contacts

Not a kiwi but a 'kaaskop' (Cheesehead), meaning from The Netherlands. Also looking to relocate to New Zealand for a lifestyle change and a good place to educate children (5 and 6).

My alternative is going to Thailand but the reason i left Thailand is because the education standards are low. International school are very expensive and also rather low quality. New Zealand, especially the north is in my mind an excellent location.

However i have difficulty getting a visa, but i am able to get a study visa for  the children and me and my wife would be able to go too. Budget is a little short to put both children in an international school but i read somewhere that local schools are able to take in international students at a reasonable price. I am looking for a contact that would be able to give me some pointers for obtaining such information. And as we are here on this website, the reasons for relocating are i think obvious. 

kiwidave's picture
kiwidave

Hi MstJane and Brainless,

I am a Kiwi based in the Bay of Islands and an enthusiastic supporter of CM and the crash course.

Happy to offer any help I can to CCers looking at moving here. We are not without our problems but then who isn't? Low government debt (18% GDP as of last year) and about 75% electricity from renewables, good rainfall and climate and low poulation densities are real positives in my book.

Immigration is reasonably straightfoward, here is a company that offers an online calculater to see if you are a likely candidate for residency.  http://www.malcolmpacific.com/

I work in real estate and am getting a lot of inquiry from overseas, not chasing clients just happy to offer help.

I will keep an eye on this discussion board or contact me direct  [email protected]

Cheers,

David

kiwidave's picture
kiwidave

Hi Brainless,
schooling in New Zealand is free (if you are a resident or in the process of becoming one) and the State education system is to a good standard, there are other options if you like.
This is a private school in my area:
http://www.springbank.school.nz/
State school: http://www.riverview.school.nz/
also an alternative immigration consultant: http://www.boiic.co.nz/

Cheers,
David

kiwidave's picture
kiwidave
mstjane wrote:

I am looking in to relocating my family back to New Zealand and setting up a self sustained community (preferrable off grid)

Are there any other kiwis on the forum who are overseas or in New Zealand who would like to start a discussion please?

Hi MstJane here is a link to permaculture in NZ:  http://www.permaculture.org.nz/showAllContacts.php

There are a number of eco village type communities already up and running, many with a history of several decades. These may be a better option than starting from scratch yourself. These ones in lower Northland:

http://www.otamatea.org.nz

http://www.myspace.com/kahikateavillage

Cheers,

David.

Brainless's picture
Brainless

Hi Larina,

Thank you for your responses. I did the assesment but i just don;t have enough points to qualify. I am qualified enough only not have the papers (diplomas) to prove it. Being autodidact and an entrepeneur is a good thing in normal live but when you encounter officialdom it is a different story.

However the goal is to live in New Zealand for around 10-12 years after we would return to Thailand or The Netherlands. Children have been taught Thai and enough english to hold a conversation. To give them the best oppertunities schooling in New Zealand looks like a very attractive option. I contacted a few schools by e-mail but the responses are still not received. having two children makes it difficult to send them to an international school. Sending only one would be out of the question. I read that normal government school accept students from other countries and the costs are much lower then the exclusively international schools. However finding those schools has been unsuccessful, i am a member of a few forums that discuss emigration to New Zealand but this topic does not get much attention because most are going for residency and of course most people participating in those forums don't have local knowledge. I would appreciate a few school addresses in the area of Whangarei or any other coastal area north of Auckland.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer. 

mstjane's picture
mstjane

Dear Brainless

I find when trying to get info that I telephone and speak to someone and eventually get help.

My daughter has recently returned from NZ and I mentioned your query and she need more info on type of schools you are looking for.

Ministry of Education in New Zealand web site will have more info http://www.minedu.govt.nz/

kiwidave's picture
kiwidave

Hi Brainless, sounds like you have been doing your homework but my understanding is that you would need residency to live in NZ for the length of time you propose.
I suggest you EMail the immigration consultants with these questions and a disclosure of your qualifications, experiance and financial position. They do offer a free initial consultation.
The education department link should help with likely cost of paying to have your chidren in a state school but doesn't solve the problem of you being free to live here for an extended period yourself.
Best of Luck,
David.

Amanda V's picture
Amanda V

Hi.  I am in NZ too, in the lower North Island.

If you know someone in NZ, can't you come here under "sponsorship".  Those people act as a guarantee for you for a while so you don't cost the country any money.  But they let you in on that basis ???

Brainless's picture
Brainless

My children are 5 and 6 years old. They can get a student visa. My wife and i will be their guardians and will be able to get a visa. As long as the kids study and are younger then 18 years old the 'guardian'visa is available. This will give us around 12 years. My wife would like to study English and follow some vocational courses. After that she would be able to apply for a study to work visa which gives an opening to go for residence. But permenant residency is not the goal now. It might become a wish when we lived a few years in New Zealand. When that moment arrives there are study and work possibilities that will enable it.

I don't need to work in New Zealand as i have my income from my Dutch company, and i can fulfill the financial requirements for the study and guardias visas. Immigration agents are unfortunately expensive (for what they deliver) and if you get the wrong one (i did once) not reliable. My information thusfar comes directly from the New Zealand Immigration website and the embassy. The described way is for us the only one to be able to live in New Zealand, which for us is more than enough.

It does however make finding school more difficult. I would prefer a governmnet school, non religous, that accepts internationals students for a reasonable fee. Reasonable would be max 5000 NZ$ per year per child. I read on a website once about someone that found a school that was as little as 300 NZ$ per year, but that is probably a rare find. 

Thanks mstjane for that link. I somehow did not find that resource in my searches. 

I don't have friends or family in New Zealand. A sponsorship will be difficult. On top of that i am not really looking for a job as i already have my own business that keeps me occupied. My wife however would like to go work again and wishes to follow an English course first as her english is not adequate enough.

Thanks a lot for the advice already given! I really appreciate that.

kiwidave's picture
kiwidave

Hi Brainless,

You have a good handle on the situation. I will give a few schools in the northland area a call and get back to you on annual costs for non resident schooling.

As I said, I live in the Bay of Islands (North of Whangarei) and have had all my children go through local state schools.

You don't need to use an immigration consultant, as you say not cheap, deal directly with immigration NZ. It may help if you can make contact with someone that has gone down a similar path and can give you reliable advise on the procedure. Have you been to NZ? You can come out on a tourist visa (renewable) while you investigate schools etc.

Just a caution, without resident status you will not, as of right, be able to buy land bordering a coast or reserve or in excess of five hectares.

Best Wishes,

David.

Brainless's picture
Brainless

Larina,

Many thanks for your efforts to obtain information for me.

We have not been in NZ yet, however we do have some friends that visit often for holidays. Sofar the impressions are very good. For making the final decision a trip for at least a few months is planned.

My plan was to first try to obtain information of a few schools to find out if what i have in mind is possible. If it is then we plan to go to NZ on a tourist visa around september/october, exact time dependant on finding good tenants for my house. The embassy told us that when we arrive on a tourist visa we can apply for a student and guardian visa while in NZ. Looking for a place to stay will be largely depended on where schools are available.

Best wishes from my wife, me and not to forget our main reason to plan for the future our children.

mstjane's picture
mstjane

Possibility: take the study route and after 3 years you qualify for residency - check this out but it is what I have heard.

mstjane's picture
mstjane

Cheers David I have passed your info on and will email u direct

kiwidave's picture
kiwidave

Hi Brainless,

I have been ringing round. The Opua Primary school is the only state school in the Bay of Islands that takes international students. The fee is NZ$120/week per student, no charge over vacation and public holidays. Would work out at about US$2400/year. They were very helpful and said that once you have student or work visa there is no charge (small annual school fees that we all pay only) and suggested you check out the education section on the NZ immigration website. Sounds do-able for you.

Website http://www.opua.school.nz/

Best of luck,

David.

Brainless's picture
Brainless

David,

Very much appreciated!!

I am already looking on their website and where it is located.

Thanks again!

Jean

kiwidave's picture
kiwidave

You are welcome Jean.

Opua is a lovely village, it is the most northerly port of entry for visiting yachts. Many cruisers stay here over the summer months to avoid the hurricane season in the tropical South Pacific. Good facilities for them including slipways, marina and of course the school. Also a strong tradition of alternative lifestyle folk - I'm sure your children would have great company.

My nieces used to go to this school when they were younger. The lady I spoke to mentioned that there was a primary school in Whangarei (abt 45min drive south and another popular stopover for cruisers) that also took in international students, could find out more if you like.

Warm Regards,

David.

Brainless's picture
Brainless

David,

You really found the place ideal for us! We love being near the sea and hills. We were in Thailand when the children were born until a half year back. My daughter was already sitting on the beach in the seawater when she was 2 weeks old. Laughing They love to swim and play in the water. My house now is right at the beach in the Netherlands (to cold to swim 10 months a year, bummer), so i think you get the picture where our love for the sea comes from.

My first priorities are my children and the Opua school and area seems perfect. I have found the ERO reports and they are very good. Also they are fully qualified for international students which is a must for being able to get a study visa. I also read they are used to teach international students as often families arrive by boat and stay for a few months. I think they will be very capable and experienced of taking care of intergrating international students. 

I will send them an e-mail tomorrow about the details for enrollment. (Have to get some sleep. Smile)

You really made my day and filled all of us with joy.

Jean & family.

mstjane's picture
mstjane

David

I am still working on my efforts to return home after liquidating assets.

There are number of kiwis on the site

Hamish from chch,  AmandaPops is from wellington area , Pri8don from nelson  (?)

Chris mentioned at Rowe they were moving towards jurisdictions - wondering how we could unite the kiwis and pool knowledge/resources/build relationship?

Any ideas?

MstJ

gyrogearloose's picture
gyrogearloose
Brainless wrote:

My children are 5 and 6 years old. They can get a student visa. My wife and i will be their guardians and will be able to get a visa. As long as the kids study and are younger then 18 years old the 'guardian'visa is available. This will give us around 12 years.

Not that we want heaps more people here in the light of peak everything, but since you are a CC devotee we can make an exception Wink

Since you have an income form your business, just come here via the above described method, and in 6 years time add to our population, and by the time that one is 18.......  well given Chris's "Horizons" graph of ten year time frame of failure of central government........... what bureaucrats will be left to boot you out ?

Of course they could change the visa rules next year and boot you out anyway......

Cheers Hamish

PS on schools, http://www.tki.org.nz/e/tki/ Homepage

Opua school  http://www.tki.org.nz/e/schools/display_school_info.php?school_id=1063

School decile 7

Decile's 1 to 10  from memory reflect the median income of the parents of the pupils. 10 highest

Ends up being reflected in the amount of extra cash the school raises for "extras"  Decile 10 schools usually end up with better gear as a result.....

Brainless's picture
Brainless

Hi gyro,

At least i will be contributing to the local economy, hopefully more than only monetary. WinkLaughing

Australia/New Zealand was in our plans from the day the children were born. I choose not to live in my own country the Netherlands but in Thailand. We have family there and we own land there too. It is a perfect hideout to be safer for an economic downturn. Unfortunately it does have its 'education problems'. My feeling is that a country like New Zealand the balance between 'good', 'bad' and 'risk' is compared with others more positive. I think that Asia and Australia/New Zealand will be spared a collapse on the scale as i think will happen in the US and Europe. A major economic downturn is my guess what will happen. And that is a lot less 'risk'.

Gyro, thanks for the links! 

kiwidave's picture
kiwidave

Hi Jean, mstjane and all.

I'm happy to keep in touch on this board but we need to keep it active or it will disapear off the radar. Mst, maybe we could have a permenant 'Kiwi Connection' page?

Jean, here is a recent page on student immigration from our largest daily paper   http://www.nzherald.co.nz/immigration/news/article.cfm?c_id=231&objectid=10556327&pnum=2

Cheers,

David

Brainless's picture
Brainless

Larina,

I read that Chris is busy to setup a group facility on this site. That would be a good place to start one.

Greetings,

Jean

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments