Kill-A-Watt Meters

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
DrBill's picture
DrBill
Kill-A-Watt Meters

What, exactly, does a Kill-A-Watt do?

Do they show cycling rates of appliances?

joesxm2011's picture
joesxm2011
 They show you how much

They show you how much your appliance is drawing.

You plug the Kill-A-Watt into the outlet then your appliance into the KAW.

I bought a similar device, I think it was by Belkin, because it had a long cord so you could read the meter without lying on your belly.  I think the KAW meter part is right at the outlet.

I found it useful to determine that my torch lamps with halogen bulbst take 300w and how much each of my TV components uses.

It is probably a good way to find items that you are leaving plugged in doing nothing that still suck electricity.

DrBill's picture
DrBill
Kill-A-Watt Meters

The machine I have Cycles from 625 watts down to 100 watts several times during an 8 hour period.

Will the Kill-A-Watt Meter actually show the cycling or just log it and present a total usage?

joesxm2011's picture
joesxm2011
 This is the one I

This is the one I bought

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Conserve-Insight-Energy-Use-Monitor/dp/B003P2UMP8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1338123268&sr=8-4

There seem to be several KAW models

http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4460-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B000RGF29Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1338123268&sr=8-2

I have not used my device as you are asking, but it seems that what they do is record the usage over a long period of time but only computer the average usage and maybe only in the cost calculator mode.

I don't think it will record a cycling graph as you seem to want.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments