Keeping records

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Saffron's picture
Saffron
Keeping records

I am interested to know if anybody is keeping records of current events as they unfold to keep for future generations. 

It seems like history, including controversial things like conspiracy theories, are about to unravel at an unusually fast rate and I find myself sometimes trying to think back to when I believed a certain way and what were the things that caused my thinking to change. I'd love to have something for the next generation to look back on to help them understand why we acted or didn't act a certain way and perhaps they could gain wisdom that we don't have as a result of our history-as-written-by-the-winners education.

I also worry that if we get the slow, dragged out crash that TPTB are hoping for, we will gradually forget what it was like, or certain things will become the stuff of mythology .... 'remember when' becomes 'was it really like that?' 

The papers aren't covering things in the detail that is available on the net and you don't have the bonus of conversations going on between people trying to understand and figure things out and make plans. Something like this site is an amazing history in and of itself with links to actual articles, videos and the constant dialogue - but how would one go about storing it? I considered starting a blog for myself where I just post things that I am interested in keeping track of, but what if the net should become inaccessible?

Any ideas?

p.s. as I reviewed this I realized that the question could come up about copyrights. I am not looking to publish anything ... this is strictly for personal use. I'm basically looking for a new-fangled way to "cut the article out of the paper and stick it in an album" that includes the multitude of ways we get our info here.

V's picture
V
Re: Keeping records

It is an interesting idea.

Unfortunately humanity does not learn anything from history in terms of changing anything.

Last year for example millions of rounds of ammunition were found in the wreck of the Lusitania.

Proving that the Germans were well within their right to sink it. So almost a hundred years after the fact 

what has changed? Does anyone really care that America got drawn into WW1 by Churchill and 

Roosevelt and J P Morgan made millions? So there is the proof of a conspiracy. Too little too late.

Now what about the war on terror?

Just rambling here.

radishcake's picture
radishcake
V wrote:

It is an interesting idea.

Unfortunately humanity does not learn anything from history in terms of changing anything.

Ditto .. history depends on freedom and communication .. right now we're so close to both having it all & losing it all.

Saffron's picture
Saffron
V wrote:

Now what about the war on terror?

I have to agree with you here. As one who sensed the truth about this war all along, I can tell you that it makes little difference when people finally realize you were right.

Nonetheless, my primary purpose for recording something is for my kids to be able to make sense of the history they lived through - not to create a tome that future generations will refer to when making the big decisions (though that would be nice ;)

Saffron's picture
Saffron

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd revise this one. As we head into the new year, I find myself interested yet again in keeping records of current events. We seem to be living in unusually transformational times and I'm hoping it will be interesting (and not just super depressing) to keep a record of how we arrived here.

I've been able to use Shrook to download threads I am interested in, but find that if they aren't read on a regular basis, it becomes an ocean of posts to swim through. I'm looking instead for articles that are good at getting to the heart of events and effectively analyzing the effect on society. Even competing articles will be helpful to clarify why some believed one way and others differently.

So I'm going the old fashioned route of printing things out and putting them in a binder and wondered if anyone has a favorite blog or site to recommend (besides this one of course.)

David.a.Isaksson's picture
David.a.Isaksson

One site that provides one side of the story is www.inflation.us

Seems they are somewhat biased in the information that they provide but as you said, you want different views of what is unfolding.

Good idea and good luck with your ledger of the unfolding events!

xraymike79's picture
xraymike79

Saffron,

This is the website you want:

[corrected web link]

This is the specific link you probably want:

Global Financial and Economic Crisis 2007-Present

Saffron's picture
Saffron

Thanks Xraymike - this is what I was looking for!

David, you are right - the hyperinflation camp is one perspective that I want to record, but my main focus is to record events and decisions that led to ... whatever it turns out to be ... hyperinflation, deflation, stagflation or SHTF. With our mass media so biased and controlled I don't feel that saving a collection of newspapers or news magazines will chronicle an accurate account of our history as we are living it. 

I don't know why this feels so important to me ... I guess because it's amazing to me that people just forget that major events in their lives (wars come to mind) were sold to us with lies. Somehow once we are in the mess, when the lies get exposed, nobody cares anymore. That is somewhat explained in this other link that Mike posted on the "Increasingly lawless society" thread:

atomized society.

This is also why most of us find it so hard to talk with people and encourage them to get prepared. Between the atomizing of society and the mass media lies it's no wonder most of them just look at you with a tolerant smile and then spout their passive pop psychology "well, you really shouldn't look at everything so negatively. Things are really better than you think ... things will turn out how you expect them to ... "

I'll stop now before I get myself all worked up.

~ s

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments